Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Offseason 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

The Knicks have been a sh*t show for years. They've been in the Playoffs 5 times since 2000, and only once did they get past the first round.

I hadnt realised they have been that bad, thats a shocker for a big market like NYC. To think the Spurs have made the playoffs in each of those years really puts good management/coaching into perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,312 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The Melo / Stoudemire team was pretty good, ultimately losing in six to a good Pacer's team in 2013. Stoudemire's health was a big problem there as part of that run, and since Jackson took over they've handled the situation terribly even though it should have been possible to rebuild around Melo and Staps.

If Kyrie wants out and New York is a destination, then Cleveland should take Melo and picks imo. LeBron is leaving next year so you're going to have to rebuild and you might as well start accumulating assets - particularly given the cupboard is currently bare. And then, for the year that's in it, Melo with LeBron is probably enough to get you out of the East and then you always have a chance with injuries or whatever to beat expectations once there.

Move Love separately for a PG and picks also then. Like, the proposed three team trade above would leave the Cavs with a starting five of:

Thompson / Taveres
    Melo / Williams / Frye
    LeBron / Green / Osman / Jefferson
    JR Smith / Korver / Shumpert
    Gordon / Calderon / Felder

That team gets out of the East imo. Like, it definitely isn't better than what just lost to the Warriors in five, but it's more than enough to handle Boston et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

If LeBron does leave next summer, where could people see him going?

Speaking recently, Woj said the thought right now is that he heads to LA and joins either the Lakers or Clippers. He also noted that a lot of his business interests are based out there.

I still find it hard to believe he will go to the West due to how much tougher it would be compared to how he currently has things, but I would love to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Can't see him going anywhere other than LA. Lakers would be the obvious first choice due to history etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

The Knicks have been a sh*t show for years. They've been in the Playoffs 5 times since 2000, and only once did they get past the first round. For some reason (largely due to the disproportionate amount of coverage they get because they're in NY) people think they're a lot more successful than they actually are.

I dont think they are successful, but they were decent when they had Chandler,Amare and Melo not title winners but if Irving joins and gets them back to that level quick enough there is nothing to say they couldnt challenge in the weak east especially if LBJ goes west

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Think it's pretty obvious to say this Cavs offseason has to be up there with the worst in sports history. Absolutely nothing has gone right. First leaving go of Griffin as the GM, then not pulling any trades/moves to really improve the team and now this whole Kyrie trade mess.

I really don't get Kyrie wanting to be the main star again. Why now? You're half a duo with the greatest player in the game right now (my opinion, don't shoot:pac:), you're pretty much guaranteed to, at the very least, make the Conference Finals every season and you want to be traded? I mean he was that main player for us from 2011-14 and that only got us to the draft lottery (granted, the team was pretty horrendous) but to move away from a title contending team??

On LeBron, I'll be honest. I have that feeling he's gone again in the offseason next year. He's not waving his no trade clause this season but it's Championship or bust to keep him staying in Cleveland after this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

D-Rose going to Cleveland apparently . Hope their physio team like being busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

irishman86 wrote: »
    I dont think they are successful, but they were decent when they had Chandler,Amare and Melo not title winners but if Irving joins and gets them back to that level quick enough there is nothing to say they couldnt challenge in the weak east especially if LBJ goes west

If by challenge you mean make the playoffs, sure. But they ain't challenging for sheeeeet beyond that. Kyrie and KP alone isn't enough to do any major damage even in the East. They're really awful as a team.

Was reading somewhere last night that prior to last year only 6 players in NBA history have shot 25 times per 36mins for a season. Wilt did it twice; Jordan, George Gervin, Elgin Baylor and Rick Barry did it once. For context, even super-gunner Kobe didn't manage to do it. Guess who else did it? Kyrie.

Put the 2017 Kyrie on a bad team like New York and he'll go into complete iso-Kyrie. He'll stuff he points stats sure, but they'll win f*ck all. In fact they'd be awful.

When a star wants away it's almost always an above-average player with a below average team who wants a shot at winning. This is an above-average player on one of the top 3 teams in the league wanting away. He's giving up a real chance to win to become "the man" on a team that won't win. His ego must be enormous.

The only team I could see him winning on is San An, but even that would require a lot of alterations to his game and playing style to fit with the Pop/San An culture and system. It's all very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,312 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I agree it's weird. The only explanation I can think of is he wants to jump off because he knows LeBron is leaving next year and reckons leaving now works out better for him in terms of where he lands versus what happens if he's on the roster after LeBron declines his option next July.

Related to this whole situation is DRose being confirmed on a vet min ($2.1m for 1 year). I think this is easily the best acquisition they've made in the summer. Rose is obv no longer a max player or anything near it, but he's not a vet min either. He'd be the best back up Kyrie has had, and - for all his faults - Rose can still drive the lane and score points.

Thompson / Tavares
    Love / Williams / Frye
    LeBron / Green / Jefferson / Osman
    Smith / Korver / Shumpert
    Irving / Rose / Calderon

Is a nice roster like. You can construct some line ups there that give you excellent defense (Thompson / Williams / Green / LeBron / Shumpert would be quite a lockdown five for example), excellent shooting and plenty of athleticism. They are still flawed and dogs to the Warriors of course, but the likes of Green / Williams / Osman may aid the transition defense if they work out and start sucking up minutes from Jefferson, Frye and Korver.

To leave this, a genuine shot at a ring, is madness from a competitive perspective. He can always go to a big market and put up bulk numbers as the no.1 AFTER this season.

• Advertisement

If by challenge you mean make the playoffs, sure. But they ain't challenging for sheeeeet beyond that. Kyrie and KP alone isn't enough to do any major damage even in the East. They're really awful as a team.

I dunno once again this is the east. Yes the playoffs is the first step but a couple of seasons time there is nothing to suggest that KP/Irving cant challenge Boston, Im not saying they will but we are seeing the end of Cleveland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Rumour coming out of NZ that Adams could be part of a trade to NY for Melo to go to OKC.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Rumour coming out of NZ that Adams could be part of a trade to NY for Melo to go to OKC.

Does this make OKC better :confused:
    Adams anchors the defence with Carmelo all that does is take shows away from George and Westbrook

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Adams anchors the defence with Carmelo all that does is take shows away from George and Westbrook

Opens up the lane a lot for Westbrook

nerd69 wrote: »
    Opens up the lane a lot for Westbrook

And the other end ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

D Rose officially signs with the Cavs

And the other end ?

They are clearly going offence first. I think Melos a far far more talented player than Adams tbh if they are going Win now (and in a small market I don't think you can choose not to in this situation) then melo makes sense

They are clearly going offence first. I think Melos a far far more talented player than Adams tbh if they are going Win now (and in a small market I don't think you can choose not to in this situation) then melo makes sense

Perhaps as a small market team it makes sense. It wouldnt be one Id make with the likely hood of George moving to LA perhaps with Westbrook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Melo is a better player but I wouldnt be crazy about that move to be honest. They will do some damage with Melo Russ and PG on the court but your going to have 3 or 4 sub par defenders playing at the same time and nothing coming from the bench again this year. OKC need to add some depth not another ISO ball hog.

Perhaps as a small market team it makes sense. It wouldnt be one Id make with the likely hood of George moving to LA perhaps with Westbrook.

You either go all in or you may as well trade them now and start tanking at least with melo they have a chance of making some noise so they could end getting people to resign

• Advertisement

You either go all in or you may as well trade them now and start tanking at least with melo they have a chance of making some noise so they could end getting people to resign

I'd personally be trading them, but no you are right. If you aint first your last is my mentality regarding NBA :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I'm torn on this trade if it happens. Firstly I want to see Adams win a ring and there's more chance of that at OKC than NY. However I've always quite liked the Knicks and would love to see them return to being a power/contender. If Adams could be part of that, it would be awesome but the Knicks obviously need to do a lot more as the whole organization is a cluster****.

Of course it's only rumour at the moment.

OKC really need to keep Adams to protect the paint for the proposed Melo trade to make sense. Without him, they'll be playing a race to 150+ with whoever they're playing.

OKC really need to keep Adams to protect the paint for the proposed Melo trade to make sense. Without him, they'll be playing a race to 150+ with whoever they're playing.

I was thinking the same, but Kanter and KP make no sense for me so it would have to be Adams

It's New York. OKC could offer 2 chairs and a basketball and the Kicks would consider it - and offer the chairs a 5 year $40m contract.

According to reports, 20 out of a possible 29 teams teams have now made contact with the Cavs about Irving.

Brandon Jennings off to China. Sad, I think he's a much better talent than he's been allowed to show in his time in the league due to coaches/teams/injuries etc.

Gallinari breaks his thumb punching a player in a friendly on Italian National team duty. Welcome to the Clippers!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Gallinari breaks his thumb punching a player in a friendly on Italian National team duty. Welcome to the Clippers!

He'd get injured by a light breeze. May as well get it out of the way early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Klay Thompson has made the biggest move this off season....quick google search should make a lot of people envious lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement