Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil Range vs Electric Range

Options
  • 14-06-2017 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Need some help...
    I am currently building a new house and need to decide on what range to get.. oil or electric.
    We currently have an oil range in the house we are renting and we love it. The food tastes so much nicer when cooked in the range vs our electric cooker. So my question is will food taste different cooked in an oil range vs an electric??
    I know this might sound like an odd or stupid question but I would hate to choose an electric range and not be happy. We are on a farm so the range will be used everyday to heat the kitchen and cook!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

I grew up using an oil fired range and I know what you mean. It definitely cooks things differently, a little more forgiving than a standard oven. But I have used electric ovens ever since I have moved out. I recently bought a house and I bought an range with electric ovens and gas burners as I already had piped gas to the house. The food tastes the same, but you have to watch the food a little more as things can burn a little quicker. One thing that an electric oven has over an oil range is temperature control, which is useful for baking. If you know your oil range well, it's fine to bake as you have a 'feel' for it - but that comes with experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JJIRL

Thank you Staph for your reply. So you have a range-master type - I know the ones. They are fab! I definitely have a 'feel' for the range and love it. Just need to deiced asap (builders need an answer)

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

I suppose another consideration is the cost of use. Our oil range could probably use E50 a week in oil, but it's on all of the time heating the water, kitchen, cooking and drying clothes. The electric range will only be on when used and will not cost as much, but you will have to use other appliances for heating water, drying clothes etc. I do think the oil range does cost more day-to-day, but there's huge comfort with one and it has other benefits that you may feel are worth it.
    I do miss the oil range, but it is a luxury and it wasn't practical for me to install after considering everything.

Advertisement