Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Photo

Options
  • 14-06-2017 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

We have come across this photo of a relative from back in the day. Does anyone have an idea of the location, we are almost sure it is around the Clanbrassil Street area.img028.jpg

419854.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Any guess as to what the ______NDL. is an abbreviation of?
    Any surname to check?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ajc100

The lad to the right is Patrick Norton born in 1898, so its around 1914 and we are assuming its around Clanbrassil Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭roycon111

ajc100 wrote: »
    We have come across this photo of a relative from back in the day. Does anyone have an idea of the location, we are almost sure it is around the Clanbrassil Street area.img028.jpg

419854.jpg

The Industrial Co-operative Society Dublin Limited

Branches Stores were at
    17 Turlough Terrace, Fairview
    164 Church Road
    132 Thomas Street
    32 Lower Drumcondra Road

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I have found another address for them - 18 and 19 Bath Street in 1917.
    Registered offices Annesley Bridge road, Fairview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

if it is Fairview, the building has somewhat the same structure as that bar that burned down a couple of years back. However, i would try Gaffney's pub, been there donkeys years and would know a lot about the area and may appreciate a copy of the photo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Is that lady in the middle black? I imagine that would have been pretty uncommon at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Looks like Thomas St to me. Fairview units have a lot of only 2 windows above and the windows are generally not as low as in the pic. I'm reminded of Frawleys or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

Just wondering what the writing on the wall means. cw s minerva? Maybe a clue

Just wondering what the writing on the wall means. cw s minerva? Maybe a clue

That's a type of soap, 'exclusive' to the Co-operative stores. They also did one called 'Congress'.
    66-201372154551_540x360.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

CWS stands for Cooperative Wholesale Society the formal name for the co-op stores in the UK. Lot's of their own label products had CWS as part of their name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

ajc100 wrote: »
    The lad to the right is Patrick Norton born in 1898, so its around 1914 and we are assuming its around Clanbrassil Street.

Did Patrick have any connection with Brabazon Street off The Coombe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I wonder could the ...NDL. bit be an abbreviation of Industrial, i.e. INDL. ???

I've tried Googling for information on the co-operative movement in Ireland but there doesn't seem to be much apart from loads of stuff pointing to a modern food co-op organisation.

vtls000076313

http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000076313

not sure how to post a photo but there is the link to the source.

It is almost definitely Thomas Street and I am half sure the building is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

I thought it looked like Thomas street before anyone mentioned the Co-Op was there, there was a newsagent/grocery on the opposite side to Frawleys that I'm thinking of in the late 80's/90's

Advertisement