Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Missus...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

The boss

In the first episode of Curb, Larry rers to Cheryl as "Hitler" on a phone to Jeff...overheard by his orthodox Jewish parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Deub

I say "girlfriend" followed by "I am the one wearing the trousers but she chooses the color and type".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

mad muffin wrote: »
    Fist cushion or cock holster…

Cockpit? :pac:

He can be the pilot :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

Conor you should call her "only person you've had sex with" or "soulmate"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

The Leader of the Opposition :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Connor, for your use, 'The Senior Partner'?

Not your ornery onager

Deub wrote: »
    I say "girlfriend" followed by "I am the one wearing the trousers but she chooses the color and type".

Was it Denis Thatcher who, on being asked who wore the trousers in the house, said "I do...and I also wash and iron them"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I call mine 'the slut'. Too much? Yea, so is she.

Who am I kidding. I'm single.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

...I just don't like that term.

Refer to her by her title "my girlfriend/partner/wife", refer her by her name, use a term of endearment, use a well known literary reference like Rumpole's "SWMBO"...anything but "the Missus".

A symptom of a by-gone era when the wife was a slave to do her masters bidding. Which still goes on in some parts of the world, especially, Roscommon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Which, as Cork slang has come up, really refers to an anthem at Sir Henrys.

Thanks for the memories

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

One can barely make out the thread such is the clamour of Sir Lancelots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

Down to the couple, really. I've no issues with being called the Missus. Just a casual term. I say "my fella", he sometimes calls me "the bird". It's all light-hearted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭noaddedsugar

My husband calls me geebag as a term of endearment. On our honeymoon he nipped out to get something and on his return proudly presented me with a personalised necklace with geebag written on it. He thinks he is very funny :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

This is my current partner.

Yes! Always makes me wonder when people use that phrasing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

This post has been deleted.

Hubby if he's tubby, wifey if she's erm ...dicey !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

My husband calls me geebag as a term of endearment. On our honeymoon he nipped out to get xtra large sheaths and on his return proudly presented me with a personalised necklace with geebag written on it. He thinks he is very funny :rolleyes:

fyp giggidy

That's pretty good, at least it's inventive. The Missus is just so hackneyed.

We all use hackneyed terms every day. Well most of us do. Unless you're looking for a job at the New York Review of Books, I don't see the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    My Dad introduces my mother as '<her name>, my current wife'. Don't know how she hasn't divorced him by now.

Mr O'Bumble has been known to introduce me as "My future ex-wife" - which he know's I'm not that fond of.

But the day he calls me "the handbrake", he will be moving out. Anything else I can tolerate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I call him The Dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

I like to call my wife "the present mrs isit".

This confuses everybody as that's not my real surname.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Refer to her by her title "my girlfriend/partner/wife", refer her by her name, use a term of endearment, use a well known literary reference like Rumpole's "SWMBO"...anything but "the Missus".

I use it,but it's a colloquialism,outside Dublin 'beur' is common,that's traveller slang,in Waterford you'll hear fellas say 'the lac' not sure where that came from, in West Cork/South Kerry where if memory serves me correctly you come from yourself fellas would often use 'herself above' or 'herself below' depending on what end of town they happen to be drinking in,my granda came from a place called kealkil near Bantry and that's what he'd say,and it's still in use around there.Id also occasionally use the term 'me bird' and that's English in origin.Even though we dominate Kerry and Cork these days when you are it comes to hurling and football we're still jackeens at the end of the day! The older generation would say 'the moth',ive never heard that used outside Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

The domestic controller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I can't stand partner for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Maybe you two should talk more. A little communication goes a long way in improving relationships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I sometimes used to refer to an ex as "Yer wan" if she wasn't present. This often caused people to say "That's a terrible way to refer to her!".

I'd respond by saying "What? It's her name. Yvonne".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

My missus is (thinks) she's my boss!

...always giving orders like I'm her slave, but that's alright as I'm usually one step ahead of her, so when the order comes to put out the bins (or whatever), its already done, ergo she must then grant my request, be it a cup of tea, a beer, or whatever :-)

Agreed. The term partner implies that both parties in the relationship are equal.Not on my fuppin watch!

LordSutch wrote: »
    My missus is (thinks) she's my boss!

...always giving orders like I'm her slave, but that's alright as I'm usually one step ahead of her, so when the order comes to put out the bins (or whatever), its already done, ergo she must then grant my request, be it a cup of tea, a beer, or whatever :-)

See my post above.I think the fictional philosopher Homer Jay Simpson put it best when he coined the phrase 'I hear digging,but I don't hear chopping'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

The Battle Engine
    The War Office
    The Dragon
    She who must be obeyed
    The oul ball and chain

All good names me thinks!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The Ball & Chain is a favorite of mine.
    I'd use 'missus' on here a bit rather than OH but not sure if I use it in real like.
    But what I call her in real life couldn't be repeated here as it's dodgy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I have a simple solution - don't use it!

I call my missus, my missus all the time.

In my best Rumpole voice "Your dislike of my vernacular shan't change that old boy":)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

I like "the missus", it's cute and casual and lighthearted and understood by everyone. I'd just call him "my boyfriend" or "my fella" or "himself" or whatever, I mean does it really matter?

When I hear "partner" I'll often realise that it's because the person is gay and doesn't want to specify gender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Bambi985 wrote: »
    When I hear "partner" I'll often realise that it's because the person is gay and doesn't want to specify gender.

Partner defo sounds gay to me.

The moth is a good old fashioned irish term (from maith an cailín I believe).

Those are definitely my terms of choice, the missus or the moth....or the bitch if I'm hanging with my hommies, keeping it real n shít.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

I call her by her name because all names matter. #blacklivesmatter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

The man I'm married to refers to me as:

The wife
    My woman
    The cook
    My Queen
    The briar
    The old lady
    The young wan
    The woman I'm married to.

What he calls me behind my back I'll never know.
    (No cctv salesman calls pleeze)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

I call my girlfriend my missus.

But I've always called anyone I'm going out with my missus though.

It bypasses any "what are we" discussions by ironically referring to anyone you're sleeping with as your missus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Agreed. The term partner implies that both parties in the relationship are equal.Not on my fuppin watch!

Agreed. I might start using 'Kitchen Lady' going forward.

• Advertisement

Herself
    The missus
    The wife

I disagree that 'my' swapped in for 'the' above is an improvement, very home counties between the wars sounding to me.

Before we were married we had that awful phase where girlfriend wasn't right and partner is forever to be dismissed as absolutely pofaced so I went through a period of just calling her my lover, with mixed results. A term really only ever used by tabloids in the nineties, well overdue for reclamation imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Penis Mitten is the one I'd go with. Much better than Missus.

Glenster wrote: »
    Agreed. I might start using 'Kitchen Lady' going forward.

Or scullery maid,both suffice. Boom bap keeps things simple and calls his a dishwasher,that he owns. I wouldn't get away with that in my gaff,but he's a mod so she let's him away with it. Right enough too I reckon.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Or scullery maid,both suffice. Boom bap keeps things simple and calls his a dishwasher,that he owns. I wouldn't get away with that in my gaff,but he's a mod so she let's him away with it. Right enough too I reckon.

My mod powers do not extend past the keyboard, apart from when I talk about polishing my banhammer. But that's a euphemism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I use the term "herself" and she can call me whatever :pac: except "partner", that's just bloody awful modern sh!te. We're in love, not lawyers who founded their own practice.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    My mod powers do not extend past the keyboard, apart from when I talk about polishing my banhammer. But that's a euphemism.

If you use it often it enough,it doesn't need to be polished or greased up.Good maintainance keeps the banghammer in perfect running order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'd be the same.. to me it sounds like an overly sanitised term used to describe someone in a way that won't cause offence to whoever you're describing them too :rolleyes:

Wifey, missus or OH would be ones I'd use, depending on context and the stage of the relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I'd be the same.. to me it sounds like an overly sanitised term used to describe someone in a way that won't cause offence to whoever you're describing them too :rolleyes:

Wifey, missus or OH would be ones I'd use, depending on context and the stage of the relationship.

I hate the term too, it sounds either vaguely smug or like you run a business together. It's such a limp, vague term with little context, a bit like the time I once introduced my flatmate to a relative as 'this is the guy I live with...', pearls were clutched I tell ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

The Chief Of Staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭gammy_knees

When she's in company with me she's "The Commander in Chief" or "The Chancellor of the Exchequer".
    When I'm with the lads she's "My future ex wife".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Before we were married, my momma used to introduce us as "my daughter and her partner" which I found jarring. I think she just wanted to convey that this was the person I was living with for 10 years, not just some bloke I'd been seeing for a few weeks.

I think he just calls me by my name when referring to me. And he calls me by a pet name that doesn't need to be mentioned here :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement