Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy kids apartment courtyard

Options
  • 14-06-2017 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

So. In our courtyard /square in the middle of our complex, every day between 5 and 8pm the ground floor Russians send their kids out to play.
    One of them is only 2 yrs old and jesus does he scream his head off.

Having a newborn baby in our home is all the more reason for me to be enraged over. This as she can't sleep once they are out there screaming.

I want to approach the parents, wife doesnt want me to as they are on the drink 24/7 and she knows I have a seriously short fuse so confrontation is best avoided.

As the management company state all kids must be accompanied by an adult whilst in common areas and clearly this isn't happening what are my options?

I have asked the older sister a million times to bring the little lad inside when he has screaming fits but it only lasts a day or so.

At the end of the day though my 4 mo th old comes first and I'm not willing to let her suffer.

Any sensible suggestions would be great

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

OP, I don't have the answer for you, but I've lived in my apartment for many years, with many overseas neighbours having moved in and out in during that time. The simple answer is, I don't think it will make a whit of difference telling the parents. Culturally, some other nationalities just don't seem to put the same restraints on their children that Irish parents do - consequently, I have seen toddlers with their barely-older siblings out playing in the car park at 10.30pm, winter and summer, unless it's raining or freezing cold. They also simply do not have the same restraint when it comes to noise. My own next door neighbours had several young children who only seemed to get going with noise and antics at about 10pm, every night, when they should have been asleep for at least an hour or two! (they have since moved out).

Almost every family of non-Irish origin that has lived here (and this is simply an observation), have not seemed the slightest bit bothered with the volume of noise their children create. Once they are outside the apartment, the parents just let them off. In fact, my downstairs neighbours kids are right at this moment having a screaming competition in the carpark outside. I know ALL kids make noise, but most have at least some internal filter from being 'shushed' by their parents on occasion. I have never observed these kids being shushed, therefore they simply don't know that being quiet is an option. It's not actually their fault. There is a little toddler downstairs who has had some full-on, ear-splitting meltdowns outside, her mother (or aunt, there seems to be a couple of families in the same apartment) just looks out at her without actually trying to comfort her or quiet her. Their parents and their friends are almost as loud - they gather in large groups outside having loud conversations, and while in fairness they don't actually cause any trouble, (neither do their children) the volume gets interesting at times.

Long story short - it's just a different way of raising kids to ours. But I feel your pain, as I have long noticed the difference in volume between children whose parents were born here, and children of parents who immigrated from elsewhere. Again, it's simply an observation, and not a complaint against our overseas visitors. Diff'rent strokes. But annoying for those who have to put up with it.

Are other neighbours complaining? Could you write a registered letter to the management company and all sign it, requesting that the noise issue be addressed? Also if the parents are drinking as you say they are, the family themselves might be in need of some sort of family support or intervention..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Kids making noise in common areas from 5-8pm ... not such an issue, kids play and make noise. And your kid will learn to sleep thru it.

But the parents are on the drink 24x7? Then call Tulsa, the kids are being neglected: it's illegal to be DIC of a kid under 7 in this country: the penalty is crazy low, but a complaint should attract some education for the parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

I live in an apartment and we're having the same problem the only difference is these are all Irish families. The common area in our apartment block is not a playground for kids (there's actually one around the corner). The kids are always screaming their heads off not to mention the gob****e parents who sit outside and can be as loud as the kids, especially one peach who must call his dog about 100 times a day.

It clearly states from our management company that the common area is not a playground. When one of our neighbours complained to them she was told where to go by the parent who said "I've lived in a hotel for the last two years so no one is gonna tell my child when they can't play" and when the neighbour said she was gonna call the management company and complain she was called "a rat". Some people just have no consideration for the neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

hmmm. what can the management agent do. put gaffer tape over their mouths? might cause problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

jim-mcdee wrote: »
    hmmm. what can the management agent do. put gaffer tape over their mouths? might cause problems.

Took you a whole year to come up with that? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Could be worse OP, the courtyard in my complex has not only shrieking children but, as of a couple of weeks ago, those stupid mini motorbike that terrible parents ride around on with toddlers without helmets. I have no idea how they're legal but I'm hoping a dad gets decapitated or something so the rest of the kids are put off them because at the moment they all want a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Could be worse OP, the courtyard in my complex has not only shrieking children but, as of a couple of weeks ago, those stupid mini motorbike that terrible parents ride around on with toddlers without helmets. I have no idea how they're legal but I'm hoping a dad gets decapitated or something so the rest of the kids are put off them because at the moment they all want a go.

Sounds like you're living in some dystopian thunderdome type situation. Have you considered going full mad max?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Buckfast W wrote: »
    I live in an apartment and we're having the same problem the only difference is these are all Irish families. The common area in our apartment block is not a playground for kids (there's actually one around the corner). The kids are always screaming their heads off not to mention the gob****e parents who sit outside and can be as loud as the kids, especially one peach who must call his dog about 100 times a day.

It clearly states from our management company that the common area is not a playground. When one of our neighbours complained to them she was told where to go by the parent who said "I've lived in a hotel for the last two years so no one is gonna tell my child when they can't play" and when the neighbour said she was gonna call the management company and complain she was called "a rat". Some people just have no consideration for the neighbours.

Do you live in Clondalkin?
    I was making a delivery in an apartment block this morning and that type were already out sunning themselves, playing music and roaring at Britney in the courtyard. I’d be fuming if I was paying rent in a place with the likes of it.

Do you live in Clondalkin? I was making a delivery in an apartment block this morning and that type were already out sunning themselves, playing music and roaring at Britney in the courtyard. I’d be fuming if I was paying rent in a place with the likes of it.

Ha ha no I don't live in Clondalkin I live over the North side but it seems people all over Dublin and beyond are having the same problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Buckfast W wrote: »
    Ha ha no I don't live in Clondalkin I live over the North side but it seems people all over Dublin and beyond are having the same problems.

Not off the Finglas road by any chance... :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,970 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

But the parents are on the drink 24x7? Then call Tulsa, the kids are being neglected: it's illegal to be DIC of a kid under 7 in this country: the penalty is crazy low, but a complaint should attract some education for the parents.
    What particular law are you referring to here?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I understand the pain. In our development we have units where the door opens at 6am on a dry day and the kids run riot until after dark.

The management company have frequently appealed for parents to supervise their children but it's going to take a tragedy before anything changes. Why would these parents supervise their own kids when there are neighbours to do it seems to be the attitude. It's very frustrating and why I love wet weekend mornings

Not off the Finglas road by any chance...

More down near the start of the M50.....

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

Sounds like you're living in some dystopian thunderdome type situation. Have you considered going full mad max?

Never go Full mad max

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭seasidedub

Having a similar issue - moved into a fairly pricey coastal apartment development which was much talked about, "launched", but did not sell....so apparently most apartments are now for rent. I recently sold and am temporarily renting to see do I like the area. Very glad I did not buy....

Development has a central plaza with parking demarcations so u can park there if u want although residents have underground parking too. It is not a playground and has plants etc which owners management fees pay for...

It's become a football/hurley pitch, skateboard park, kids messing up the plants etc. Which will increase the fees for the owners. Often with parents watching on. They don't live in the development as hardly anyone does....cars likely to get damaged, danger of running over a kid, it's open to a marina so danger of drowning too. So many potential issues.

Kids need to play, absolutely- but this is not the place. I definitely won't buy here and the law suits are waiting to happen. Noisy too and I was hoping for peace but again, kids need to play.

Advertisement