Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QOTSA - Villans

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I was only explaining to someone three hours ago who Mark Ronson is and why I hate him, damn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,601 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The skit is pretty funny, but Mark Ronson? I dunno about the sound of that and the wee clip that we hear of the first song fills me with trepidation - we shall wait and see I suppose. They've been an amazingly consistent band up to this point in their career, I don't think they've released a bad album. Let's hope they can keep it going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Definitely does seem to be a funky sound to that song.

Could be an Era Vulgaris sort of feel to this album.

I thought it was more Them Crooked Vultures actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,459 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I got an EV/TCV mash up. It's like an aggressive EV, be hard to keep up the standard of the last album but nothing to indicate it's getting let down.

Mikey gets a poor going over in the video, it's exactly what I imagine Josh doing, script or no script!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭fluke

I was only explaining to someone three hours ago who Mark Ronson is and why I hate him, damn.

I don't really know much about him other than what I have heard on the radio. Is it that bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

fluke wrote: »
    I don't really know much about him other than what I have heard on the radio. Is it that bad?

No. The amount of people on fan pages and Reddit ****ting their pants because Ronson is producing it is hilarious!

Sure, he's produced loads of pop music, but he's worked on other stuff too, and QOTSA are his all time favourite rock bank, he's said so himself. Just because he's produced lots of pop stuff doesn't mean that Villians is suddenly going to be a pop music album...

I'm a teeny weeny bit obsessed with qotsa, they're my all time favourite band, the clip of the new song sounds amazing and I can already see josh doing his hip swing to it live :) I'm really looking forward to the interview josh is doing with zane Lowe today :) 4pm our time

I'm really looking forward to the interview josh is doing with zane Lowe today :) 4pm our time

Good shout. I will check that out today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭brevity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

9 track album? I am in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I really hope that is somehow the worst song on the album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

I really like the new single. Pure ZZ top

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Love Queens, saw them live plenty of times, but I'm not arsed by the new song. And to be honest, I differ from what seems to be everyone else in that their previous album left me underwhelmed; decent album, but nowhere near their best.

I can understand the evolution of the band, and by listening through their albums chronologically their progression is really apparent, but stylistically I'm just more into their early music as opposed to their less hard stuff of recent years.
    I'll still look forward to the new album when it hits, but I'll also manage my expectations so I won't be disappointed when I don't hear some crunchy, bottom-heavy guitar riffs.

Nailz wrote: »
    Love Queens, saw them live plenty of times, but I'm not arsed by the new song. And to be honest, I differ from what seems to be everyone else in that their previous album left me underwhelmed; decent album, but nowhere near their best.

I can understand the evolution of the band, and by listening through their albums chronologically their progression is really apparent, but stylistically I'm just more into their early music as opposed to their less hard stuff of recent years.
    I'll still look forward to the new album when it hits, but I'll also manage my expectations so I won't be disappointed when I don't hear some crunchy, bottom-heavy guitar riffs.

I love the last album, do think this one will be more dance-y.

Anyone see the thing about the 'Coming TwentyFive' teaser? The cracks in the letters would make out Villains.

Mushy wrote: »
    I love the last album, do think this one will be more dance-y.

Anyone see the thing about the 'Coming TwentyFive' teaser? The cracks in the letters would make out Villains.

Ah good shout!

https://twitter.com/b0neface/status/875827686027010049

Nailz wrote: »

Would agree with most of this, I liked the last album but it's not really close to their earlier stuff. I much prefer the hard rock riffs of 15-20 years ago but it looks like those are gone for the band. And that's fine, I can get into the new stuff too. That song they've released just isn't a great song though, regardless of the style it was recorded in.

I know it's to be expected considering who's producing but there's a real dancey vibe to the latest clip released. I like it

https://twitter.com/qotsa/status/885210630239604736

• Advertisement

Don't think it's as good as Like Clockwork on early listening. In saying that, the fear of Mark Ronson making it a rockier auto-tuned shítshow can be put aside too. Think it fits in more beside EV THAN LC.

That and they'll be belters live too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,662 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Homme disappeared up his own jacksie a long time ago. Nick may have been a bit of a mentalist but qotsa haven't been the same since he was fired. For me, he balanced out Josh's weakness for over indulgence and gave the music an unrelenting sense of purpose. His bass playing absolutely drove their best two albums.

It's all style over substance with qotsa now. A hollowed out shell of a once great band.

New song released today is pretty poor anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

The whole album leaked the day before yesterday. It's excellent. Although if you're one of the "fans" that thinks they went downhill after nick left, you ain't gonna like it.

Homme disappeared up his own jacksie a long time ago. Nick may have been a bit of a mentalist but qotsa haven't been the same since he was fired. For me, he balanced out Josh's weakness for over indulgence and gave the music an unrelenting sense of purpose. His bass playing absolutely drove their best two albums.

It's all style over substance with qotsa now. A hollowed out shell of a once great band.

So you want bands to stand still and do the same thing ad museum? Completely ignoring external factors that mean people are in different places in their life?

The comments that it's happier and dancier are bang on cue, gets better on each listening.

I see lads called Broncho are supporting them. Won't be rushing in now.

Lullabies to Paralyse was a QOTSA game changer for me. Loved them since.

I really hope that is somehow the worst song on the album.

You know... I think the way you used to do might actually be the worst song on the album.

Have given it a couple of listens, it's pretty decent. Definitely more of an Era Vulgaris vibe off it than the last one, which is great for me as I actually preferred that album. It's possibly missing one or two standout tracks for me, something a little more hard rocking to mix it up a little too would have been nice. But overall it's fairly good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,662 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

So you want bands to stand still and do the same thing ad museum?

Nope. The simple reality for me is that Josh's musical ambition outstrips his talent as a songwriter. Nick was a bulwark against Josh's penchant for self indulgence - which has sadly marred practically every project he has embarked on since they parted ways.

I find contemporary qotsa to be vacuous. Flash-bang production , but no wallop. Just my opinion....not gospel.

ad museum?:p

So you want bands to stand still and do the same thing ad museum?

Nope. The simple reality for me is that Josh's musical ambition outstrips his talent as a songwriter. Nick was a bulwark against Josh's penchant for self indulgence - which has sadly marred practically every project he has embarked on since they parted ways.

I find contemporary qotsa to be vacuous. Flash-bang production , but no wallop. Just my opinion....not gospel.

ad museum?:p

That's a poor auto correct right there.

I enjoy the self indulgence, I Appear Missing is one of their finest songs, alongside Someone's in the Wolf. Many bands will lose the wallop as they get older, unless they're trying too hard to maintain a particular sound.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

New song is pretty weak. Sounds like EODM. Not convinced the new album will be any good. LC was decent. A bit different. I don't expect "old" QOTSA but...

Advertisement