Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QOTSA - Villans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

seachto7 wrote: »
    New song is pretty weak. Sounds like EODM. Not convinced the new album will be any good. LC was decent. A bit different. I don't expect "old" QOTSA but...
    Agree with this. Regarding the EODM comparison, I said the very same thing, and I would put it down to production to be honest. It has that same tinny weak guitar tone, it's nowhere near as heavy as some of the riffs in that song require, it just sounds washed down and overly compressed.

There's not much point in dumping on Mark Ronson because it's Mark Ronson - he's an established producer and a successful one at that, all for a good reason - but to say I am surprised by his apparent influence in the tracks so far would be a lie, I didn't expect much in terms of great Rock sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Nailz wrote: »
    It has that same tinny weak guitar tone, it's nowhere near as heavy as some of the riffs in that song require, it just sounds washed down and overly compressed.

There's not much point in dumping on Mark Ronson because it's Mark Ronson - he's an established producer and a successful one at that, all for a good reason - but to say I am surprised by his apparent influence in the tracks so far would be a lie, I didn't expect much in terms of great Rock sound.

It sounds like pop music with distorted guitars. All the fancy photos, the teaser videos, the suits, the haircuts etc.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

It sounds like pop music with distorted guitars. All the fancy photos, the teaser videos, the suits, the haircuts etc.....

Whatever about the music, who cares about the suits and haircuts etc? Your post reminded me of the crap Metallica got around the release of Load.

And hasn't Troy always worn a suit?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Whatever about the music, who cares about the suits and haircuts etc? Your post reminded me of the crap Metallica got around the release of Load.

Troy lives in a suit really, bar one time I saw them and he was hammered he made a ham fisted effort of getting into his gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

This new tune sounds terribly uninspired for a lead single. I like a bit of heft in my guitar tones....this sounds compressed and tinny and with very little low end.

I'll listen and like it, most likely, but I do love what brought me to the band in the first instance - the amount of different musical ideas. When Lanegan stopped being involved and he replaced Nick with a bunch bassists who would back up rather than add to and drive the groove they definitely lost something, but managed to keep me interested over the years. The fun machine took a **** and died around then, as did "that" Queens. This is more or less Josh solo now and that's OK, but nowhere near as engaging to me as it used to be. I guess my tastes have just changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

First song alright but a b-side really, new song is below average. Really liked Like Clockwork from the get go really when My God... was released,the likes of I Appear Missing, I Had a Tail,Smooth Sailing were boss aswell then. 2 out of 9 for new one heard, not looking good here I'm afraid!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Just wait til yaw'll hear feet don't fail me, unreborn again, and villains of circumstance at the very least before writing the whole album off

Although I'm astounded that people think the evil has landed is only meh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Speaking of Metallica watched Avenged Sevenfold support them in 06, friend wouldn't give them the time of day with the punky outfits and vest tops...he is now like a superfan of them or some sh1t...I always remind him of this gig he has no recollection of it apparently :D

Just wait til yaw'll hear feet don't fail me, unreborn again, and villains of circumstance at the very least before writing the whole album off

Feet Don't Fail needs to be gig opener.

Speaking of Metallica watched Avenged Sevenfold support them in 06, friend wouldn't give them the time of day with the punky outfits and vest tops...he is now like a superfan of them or some sh1t...I always remind him of this gig he has no recollection of it apparently :D

Fell asleep in the front row during them that day. Fun times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Mushy wrote: »
    Feet Don't Fail needs to be gig opener.

Fell asleep in the front row during them that day. Fun times.

Such a nice day. So sunny. Would love a big outdoor metal gig like that again

• Advertisement

It's grown on me a bit to be fair after a few listens.

It's grown on me a bit to be fair after a few listens.

That'll happen with a few of the songs for sure. Took me a few go's to really really enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I love the album, I really do, I like how they change it up style wise with nearly every release but it always sounds like QOTSA...

Can't wait for the gig now and to hear some of these live...

It'll probably take a few more listens but after one spin, it's not bad. Head Like a Haunted House is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I was expecting to be disappointed after hearing the two singles but it's actually not a bad album.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭lertsnim

They are about to go on stage at the Reading festival live on the BBC Red Button channel. One presumes several songs from the album will feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Overall a disappointing album. It starts strong I love the opening three tracks but once we get to Fortress it goes downhill fast and doesn't recover until Villains of circumstance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I've listened to it through about 7 or 8 times now and I still haven't made my mind up on it. I appreciate how it sounds like a change in style, but still unmistakably like Queens of The Stone Age. I haven't grown to dislike any of the songs, but I don't truly love anything on it either.

Sometimes I like the sterile tinny guitar sounds but then two seconds later my ears can yearn for a bit of grit and heft. There always sounds to be a lot going on in each song, but I do wish there was a bit more oomphh to the mix: the drums, in particular, sound like paper on some of the tunes. I could grow to like it, possibly, time will tell. I don't mind the addition of synths. It adds a bit of spooky atmosphere and they've integrated them well into their sound: It's there, you notice it, but it doesn't overpower you; really love them on the Intro to Feet Don't Fail Me.

I'm still finding the songs surprising and interesting to listen to after a number of spins, which is a good sign. But I don't think there is anything on here that's an absolute out and out banger of a tune. I think the songwriting is not as inspired as on previous albums, but they've tried to compensate by making the songs more lengthy and complex, and stuffed with different elements and atmospherics.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Just to add I'd been listening to it on Spotify, on "extreme quality", don't cha know. Well I bought it today. And I have to say it sounds fantastic. Whatever way the audio is compressed on Spotify doesn't do justice to some of the songs. Like You Used to Do sounds tinny, trebley and flimsy, but a physical copy playing through a decent stereo is miles ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Arghus wrote: »
    Just to add I'd been listening to it on Spotify, on "extreme quality", don't cha know. Well I bought it today. And I have to say it sounds fantastic. Whatever way the audio is compressed on Spotify doesn't do justice to some of the songs. Like You Used to Do sounds tinny, trebley and flimsy, but a physical copy playing through a decent stereo is miles ahead.

You're the second person I've heard saying that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭fluke

Haven't listened to it yet but the cd arrived yesterday and the artwork is as bare bones as ..Like Clockwork

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I found it to be a real grower. The more listens, the better it gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

As someone who's not much of a QOTSA fan, barring the hit singles, this album is quality!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

I found it to be a real grower. The more listens, the better it gets.

The first time I heard The Way You Used to Do, I was not impressed.

It's a real grower is right...can't wait to hear it live.

It gets better by the listen. Really enjoyable and it'll be great live.

Listened to it a while ago. It’s a weird one. Some really good songs, and some a bit *meh*. It would have been interesting to hear how these would have sounded with a heavier guitar sound production wise. I would have preferred that old style QOTSA sound, but I guess it’s a different band now. They’ll sound good live either way I reckon.

So, for those who are looking for proper stoner style QOTSA, who has taken over that mantle, as you can’t really say QOTSA are a stoner rock band now? Clutch?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

This album is the job. Feet Don't Fail Me Now is such a diddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I like it a lot.  It's a grower of an album :)

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It does nothing for me, sitting down and listening to it, but I think it's got lots of potential live. I might buy the record and see how it sounds that way.

• Advertisement

Had a few listens now, and it's not doing much for me.

Advertisement