Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QOTSA - Villans

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

It's a small bit of a grower, but not to the extent that it's blown me away. The outstanding tracks for me are "Head Like a Haunted House", "Feet Don't Fail Me", and "The Evil Has Landed", the rest of the album does have its good spots, but nothing I'd come crawling back to too soon.

Overall - as an album - I'd put it above Era Vulgaris in the QOTSA pecking-order, but just about, and EV's high points are still higher than that of Villains'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,459 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Love putting this on after a day of work. Puts me in a good mood no matter what. Feet don't Fail, Unreborn Again, Head Like A Haunted House and Domesticated Animals would be my most hoped for tracks come November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

I really wanted to like this more, but sadly I'm pretty disappointed :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

seachto7 wrote: »
    babe
    So, for those who are looking for proper stoner style QOTSA, who has taken over that mantle, as you can’t really say QOTSA are a stoner rock band now? Clutch?

Check out uncle acid and the deadbeats. Very sabbath-like

For the album itself I'm really liking it. It took a while but definitely grown on me. I think I held off because I'm going to miss the gig due to a poxy wedding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Sham Squire

Been listening to it a lot. It has now overtaken Songs For The Deaf as my favourite of all QOTSA albums. I love synths and really dig that they've added them on this album and how they've used them. I think the guitars sound great. The first two songs are so ****ing good they make this my favourite opening to a QOTSA album the last couple of songs are also up there with my faves so, all in all, it's grown on me since first listen (as all the best albums do IMHO) and I love it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Really not fond of that second track. Second half of the album is stronger in my view.

Villains of Circumstance track is on repeat in this gaff :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Villains of Circumstance track is on repeat in this gaff :)
    They did a nice auld version of it on Jools Holland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Really not fond of that second track. Second half of the album is stronger in my view.

Yeah it starts strong and instantly falls at the second hurdle. Bad track.

Amazing. Cheers for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I've listened to it a few times over the past month or so trying to digest it a bit.

In general, for the first 4 songs the vocals are the biggest issue I have.
    Feet Don't Fail Me builds really well and it's a cracking riff but then the vocals kick in and the song just evaporates, particularly around the chorus.
    It needs something much more forceful to go with that riff.

The Way You used to do has a solid pop-rock riff. If it came on in a loud bar you might jump around a bit and have some craic. Again, it's weak in the chorus.

Domesticated Animals is a bit of a nothing song.

Fortress again has really cool instrumentation but it and Villains of Circumstances are QOTSA at their worst IMO - they have random saccharine bull**** songs peppered around a few of their albums and I just find them to be unbearable.

I really like tracks 5,6,8. They're all instant classics and could slot in anywhere in the QOTSA catalogue.
    6 - Unreborn Again is the standout of the album for me.
    7 - Hideaway is good as well.

I like the overall direction of the album, as I did with Like Clockwork (which I like but it works best listened to as an album rather than just picking out a few tracks), but in this case I've found that most of the songs lack massively in the vocal department.

Other than Songs for the Deaf I've never been that impressed with QOTSA albums as a whole, finding they often have bits of miscellaneous crap stuffed into them amidst the really good songs, so I don't think this is particularly below-par for their offerings.
    So overall I'm happy enough with it - a few more fresh songs to add to my QOTSA playlist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Cover of Elton John's 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road' being released on 6 April as part of some EJ covers album.

Advertisement