Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A beer for the firefighters

• 14-06-2017 7:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭

I live in London. On Sunday there was a flood in my street and a fire engine came out to deal with it. I took my three year old son out for a look and the firefighter jumped out, let him in the driver's seat, let him in the back, showed him his thermal
    Imaging camera, let him try a helmet on. I was mightily impressed.

Today, London Fire Brigade has had the opportunity to show itself in a very positive light. I'm sure that given the same circumstances, firemen in Dublin, Belfast or Cork would do the same, but these guys have shown themselves to be heroes. Not men in tights who can shoot webs. Firefighting heroes.

All firefighters in London are involved in this, either on site or else picking up the slack from covering for colleagues who are at Grenfell Tower.

I want to go and buy a couple of crates of beer at the weekend and drop it round to the fire station to express my gratitude for what is often a thankless task.

Do the professionals on here think that this is a good idea? I just want to make some gesture because between the first and second happenings above, I'm very much appreciative of these people.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Great idea.

Post on the Santa strike force thread in after hours (a fund boards users chip into for good kiddy causes normally, though an exception could be made?) and you might get funding for a few trays of beer, and pizzas..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I'll just buy a couple of trays and drop them round, though thanks for the suggestion. I think they get well fed in the fire station.

Thanks for validating the ideas. I'm sure it will be a case of bringing a few home as they can't drink on duty and probably have to drive back. But at least I can express my gratitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sky covered the local response earlier, mountains of food provided to the lads on site by business and community leaders (Rabbi was out with Kosher sambos). Great to see.

Advertisement