Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handheld GPS

Options
  • 14-06-2017 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

HI

I am looking to get a GPS for trail walking in Ireland and UK either watch or Handheld

I am totally confused as to whats available can I say have a unit that I can download a trail to and then go out and follow that trail will it direct me to the start

Or can someone please advise what would be best for average hill walking

thanks
    mylesm

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Garmin eTrex range.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mylesm

That's the one I have.
    Maps are pre loaded. Ireland and Europe.
    You can download routes to your PC from, for example RideWithGPS, (I'm sure hiking sites have similar route planning capabilities) and upload your saved route to your eTrex.
    Works perfectly.

Planet X wrote: »
    That's the one I have.
    Maps are pre loaded. Ireland and Europe.
    You can download routes to your PC from, for example RideWithGPS, (I'm sure hiking sites have similar route planning capabilities) and upload your saved route to your eTrex.
    Works perfectly.

Thanks For That I am getting worried I see Garmin are not supporting Ireland mapping any more

Can anyone throw some light on this or advise a unit for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Is it expensive to update maps on the garmin?

• Advertisement

mylesm wrote: »
    Thanks For That I am getting worried I see Garmin are not supporting Ireland mapping any more

Can anyone throw some light on this or advise a unit for me

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Outdoor-Handheld-TopoActive-Western/dp/B00XLVF3BG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497557740&sr=8-1&keywords=etrex+20x

...Western Europe, Ireland is included.
    Who or where did you read that?
    Scroll down on the Amazon description.........TopoActive Maps.......Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Those are Garmin's own maps. I don't know much about them to be honest, but if they're anything like the old Topo GB maps, they're not of much use for hillwalking.

You used to be able to get both OSI and OSNI 1:50k maps but Garmin discontinued them a while back for reasons best known to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭grumpygit

Hi myelsm don't know whether you noticed thread i started below but I was looking for something to replace a broken garmin etrek and sophie the dog recommended viewRanger software for my android phone, found it to be better than garmin, its a free download. I have planned routes on it (routes i already knew just to check it) and it worked perfectly using their default map, you can download osi map to it at a cost if you want to, would be well worth a try before you spend your money. Did a six hour hike and it used about 50% of my battery. Its a newish phone i have so perhaps one of those portable phone chargers might be a good thing to have with you

Planet X wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Outdoor-Handheld-TopoActive-Western/dp/B00XLVF3BG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497557740&sr=8-1&keywords=etrex+20x

...Western Europe, Ireland is included.
    Who or where did you read that?
    Scroll down on the Amazon description.........TopoActive Maps.......Ireland.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102474388

Thanks for that I am only new to this so know nothing about GPS units and all these maps etc is confusing

I think now that a Garmin with OSM maps is the way to go

Is there a site where people share walks that you could download onto your Garmin

I looked at Viewranger and its great and lots of Irish walks available problem is I want to use a dedicated GPS not a phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Alun wrote: »
    You used to be able to get both OSI and OSNI 1:50k maps but Garmin discontinued them a while back for reasons best known to them.
    From what I believe it was more to do with the OSI than with Garmin.

Mod note - no discussion on where to obtain maps illegally is allowed. I've already deleted one post.

• Advertisement

Orion wrote: »

Mod note - no discussion on where to obtain maps illegally is allowed. I've already deleted one post.

Thanks I dont want to know where to obtain maps illegally just want some help in getting a handheld GPS and can I get walks off website to use on GPS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Thanks I dont want to know where to obtain maps illegally just want some help in getting a handheld GPS and can I get walks off website to use on GPS

That wasn't aimed at you :) It was aimed at someone who alluded to how to do so - that post is deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Orion wrote: »
    What's odd though is that OSNI maps aren't available either, also OSI are still saying that they're available on their website. I also contacted Garmin who claimed it was down to poor sales. I'm not sure what to believe to be honest but wouldn't be surprised if it was down to some licensing issues.

Try this, :)

https://www.wikiloc.com/trails/hiking/ireland/leinster/laragh

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭micawber

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

With the withdrawal of Garmin OSi maps, it doesn't make sense to me to buy a dedicated GPS unit. The gold standard now (in my opinion) is a rugged phone running Viewranger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

A good otterbox cover, viewranger and battery charger is infinitely better than one of the cheap handhelds. You can go almost anywhere in the world and have accurate maps. The another advantage of viewranger here is you can use East/West mapping maps, which are better again than OSI ones. It is more future proof as you can add those maps you bought to your next phone when you upgrade.

Advertisement