Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fusebox replacement

Options
  • 14-06-2017 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I'm guessing that the fuse box installed in our house is at least 30 years old. The wiring in the house is the original (70s build) but we would like to hold off on rewiring for now.

Given its age, would it be advisable to replace the fuse box (I see modern fuseboxs have rcd's that make them much safer)? And would it be fair to say that the installation and testing of the new fusebox would uncover any potential faults in the existing wiring?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

gazman101 wrote: »
    I'm guessing that the fuse box installed in our house is at least 30 years old. The wiring in the house is the original (70s build) but we would like to hold off on rewiring for now.

I assume that you are holding off for finial reasons? Most likely this electrical installation is no longer fit for purpose and may even be unsafe.
    Given its age, would it be advisable to replace the fuse box (I see modern fuseboxs have rcd's that make them much safer)?

It would be a great start.
    And would it be fair to say that the installation and testing of the new fusebox would uncover any potential faults in the existing wiring?

No. There could be many issues throughout the installation that would not be detected by replacing the board. For example the house may not even have an earth rod, sockets may not have an earth, wiring regulations relating to bathrooms has changed recently...

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭EHP

I would advise getting a periodic inspection completed this will give you as good an insight into the condition of your electricial installation as possible and should help show up any potential issues that might show up when changing the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gazman101

Thanks for the responses. We have decided to hold off on the complete rewire as we are looking at an extension and new kitchen in the next couple of years and thought it would be best to do the rewire at the same time.

Will look at getting an inspection of the installation and a new fuse board in the meantime.

Cheers,

Advertisement