Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New stationless bike rental scheme in Dublin - BleeperBike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Crunchienut

manonboard wrote: »
    Bunch of these bikes appeared in tallaght today near the square.

A load of them in Clondalkin village too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Christmas has come early...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Christmas has come early...

Wait till you've tried them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 arsenalfc1001

Imo dockless bike sharing is the future. Docking station systems cost an arm and a leg, the addition of 950 Dublinbikes in 2013/2014 cost the State €6.1m, thats €6.5k per bike - irishcycle.com/dublinbikes/
    (See the section "Overview of construction and on-going costs and income"). I'd prefer my tax money went on useful projects like segregated cycle lanes across the city!

The teething problems with dockless bike sharing will be worked through (remember on-street car parking behaviour before the clampers arrived??) and when that happens we will have another form of sustainable transport that cost the State €0.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Imo dockless bike sharing is the future. Docking station systems cost an arm and a leg, the addition of 950 Dublinbikes in 2013/2014 cost the State €6.1m, thats €6.5k per bike - irishcycle.com/dublinbikes/
    (See the section "Overview of construction and on-going costs and income"). I'd prefer my tax money went on useful projects like segregated cycle lanes across the city!

The teething problems with dockless bike sharing will be worked through (remember on-street car parking behaviour before the clampers arrived??) and when that happens we will have another form of sustainable transport that cost the State €0.

I'm not sure. It's causing a few problems in China

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/02/world/asia/china-beijing-dockless-bike-share.html?action=click&contentCollection=Health&module=Trending&version=Full&region=Marginalia&pgtype=article&referer=http://m.facebook.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Feckofff

And rathfarmham, I wonder what is going on?

Nothing on the twitter machine, so I will have to wait with baited breath!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I'm not sure. It's causing a few problems in China

A great halfway house would be to spend less money (per stand) on putting loads of Sheffield stands in more locations around the city, for the use of both dock-less rental bikes and citizens' private bikes - encourages private bike use, and helps prevent congestion/obstruction issues with dock-less bikes.

Of course this would impact on the docked bikes scheme, so DCC may see reasons not to add more stands.

Type 17 wrote: »
    A great halfway house would be to spend less money (per stand) on putting loads of Sheffield stands in more locations around the city, for the use of both dock-less rental bikes and citizens' private bikes - encourages private bike use, and helps prevent congestion/obstruction issues with dock-less bikes.

I'd like to see regulation to mandate this. Limit the fleet size to 500 or something until the disruptors pay for more stands. Increase each operators allocation by 100 for every 10 stands or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

ED E wrote: »
    I'd like to see regulation to mandate this. Limit the fleet size to 500 or something until the disruptors pay for more stands. Increase each operators allocation by 100 for every 10 stands or similar.

In fairness that seems to be what the DCC were doing, engage with the operators considering bringing in the scheme and work out what kind of licensing and planning arrangements were needed to do so without too much disruption, while
    BleeperBikes decided they couldn't be bothered going through that process and said they were launching anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

BleeperBikes are tweeting that they're putting bikes in areas as they get permission to do so.

One reason these are a great thing is that they undermine the profitability of bike theft. If you can get a free bike ride for a tiny price, what's the point of buying a bike for €50 offa a fella inna pub?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,050 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Chuchote wrote: »
    BleeperBikes are tweeting that they're putting bikes in areas as they get permission to do so.
    How does this work for dropping off? What if you finish your journey in an area that they don't have permission for?

How does this work for dropping off? What if you finish your journey in an area that they don't have permission for?

You arent meant to leave them outside the designated zones. Its kinda like stationless but limited to stations.

There are a few designated parking spots appearing around the town. By the looks of it they are all on private property.
    I guess DCC are still not on board?

Dockless bike share (by three companies) comes to Washington DC

https://ggwash.org/view/64648/how-to-make-dockless-bikeshare-mobike-spin-bike-sharing-good-for-dc
    In a few weeks, you'll likely have more choices for bicycling around DC, as "dockless" bike sharing companies launch pilot programs. DC wants suggestions on how to ensure these services are good for residents and don't cause problems, and a group of advocates, transportation planners, and businesses have put out some recommendations.

Instead of having to pick up and return the bike to a fixed docking station, as with Capital Bikeshare, you find a bike parked somewhere using an app, unlock it with the app, and then park it anywhere. Seattle, which tried and failed to launch a CaBi-style system called Pronto, now has three competing private bikeshare systems and fast-growing ridership.

In DC, interested companies include Mobike, a Chinese company which operates in 160 Chinese cities, Manchester in the UK, Florence and Milan in Italy, and Sapporo in Japan. It's been eyeing US expansion for some time and especially DC. I had a chance to sit down with Mobike representatives to discuss their plans. Martin Di Caro reported that Seattle-based Spin would like to launch here, and LimeBike, which is based in San Mateo, CA and operates in 7 US cities, has also met with some officials. There are probably others, too.
    How do they get people to lock them in the right place? According to Jillian Irvin of Mobike, their app asks riders who pick up a bike to rate the previous rider's parking job. At least in its Chinese deployments, poorly-parked bikes (or bikes which haven't moved in a while, which might mean they're somewhere less visible or with less demand) appear on the app with a "red bag" and moving them gives riders a random cash reward. (That kind of "spin the wheel" game approach is very popular in China.)

In Shanghai, Mobike worked with the city to designate certain areas, marked with a painted white rectangle on the ground, as a place to put bikes, creating an incentive for people to use those, explained Rachel Song, head of Mobike's US expansion.
    Dockless bikeshare systems can have major advantages. For one, it's much cheaper to build; Capital Bikeshare docking stations cost about $50,000 to build and install, while dockless bikeshare has no dock cost at all. This means that in areas with lower density and/or lower bicycle ridership, where there are fewer CaBi stations, someone might not have to walk as far. Also, reaching your destination and finding a completely full dock (as some call it, being "dockblocked") is a significant hassle. With dockless bikeshare, that's eliminated.
    Reporting problems. Rating the parking through the app if you take a bike is great, but other people who aren't bikeshare users need a way to report a parking problem. We suggest requiring the operators to display a phone number and URL on all bikes where people could call or enter an issue (or it could be integrated with something like 311). The operator should share that data with DDOT, and be required to move the bike once reported within some period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 arsenalfc1001

I spoke to Sabbaticals I know from DCU. Seems the university has a contract agreement in place with Bleeperbike for the purpose of inter-campus travel. I think I saw a few bikes in Drury Street Car Park also.

SDCC have a pilot scheme with bikes. Good on SDCC! :)

Now I wait for DCC, but there are too many anti-cycling counsellor so maybe after the next local elections?

Feckofff wrote: »
    SDCC have a pilot scheme with bikes. Good on SDCC! :)

Now I wait for DCC, but there are too many anti-cycling counsellor so maybe after the next local elections?

Only if we get out and canvass for pro-cycling councillors in our own areas before the election. And we have to do that if we're going to save our planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

After a troubled Dublin launch, BleeperBike has found a way back on the streets https://fora.ie/bleeperbike-dublin-bikes-3587695-Sep2017/

A review
    Bleeper Bike, only for midgets.

will all system imported from China have same problem https://twitter.com/search?q=mobike%20low&src=spxr

bleeperbike replied
    BleeperBike‏ @Dub_Bleeper Sep 1
    Replying to @linef4ult
    https://twitter.com/linef4ult/status/903584511123972096
    Thanks 4 the feedback, albeit a tad harsh! We have a number of improvements in version 2, no new business gets everything right first go!
    ride hieght would be something you should get right first go.

Interesting review,

Yay! bikes for short people :D

Maybe beep beep could look at daisy chaining the bikes when locked to help free up some spaces?

Moving from what I assume is a good road bike to a sit-up-and-beg always feels awful but eventually you get used to it.
    Personally I rarely use my saddle when in town as the roads are just too rough.

There is probably room to improve both the bikes and the roads!

Boardman is interesting on these schemes (he's talking about Mobikes, another version of the same idea, in a question-answer interview; "Boris bikes" is the unhappy nickname given to the docked bike scheme instituted by Ken Livingstone but publicised by Boris Johnston):

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2017/sep/16/chris-boardman-energy-gel-id-rather-have-a-sandwich?CMP=share_btn_tw
    Boris bikes or Mobikes?

Mobikes without question. It’s the most scarily innovative scheme I’ve seen in many years. It’s so exciting, the potential for change, because it’s all about the user. A brilliant invention, you can just get on and off, go where you want to go, don’t have to find places to park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 johnfquinn

I tried it,brilliant,wasn't sure we're to leave bike,locked it at nut Grove,and left

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Presumably these are in widespread use now? Any reports to share?

zulutango wrote: »
    Presumably these are in widespread use now? Any reports to share?

Small numbers out there. Most I see dont move.

DLRCC have asked DCC to not allow them move into their LA area.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Saw a Bleeperbike in Dublin 8 a few days ago, ironically at the bike rack right outside DCC offices on Wood Quay. Not sure how it got there as I thought they were only in use in UCD now? Maybe a staff member of Bleeper was in DCC offices for a meeting and decided to take one of their many unused bikes to get there..

Dublin City Council Control of Stationless On-Street Bicycle Hire
    Bye-Laws 2017 https://www.dublincity.ie/councilmeetings/documents/s12759/351%20Stationless%20On-Street%20Bicycle%20Hire%20Bye-Laws%202017.pdf
    The applicant for it has paid the Council the licence fee of €200 per annum

The Operator shall agree proposed livery on all bicycles with the Council. No advertising for alcohol products will be permitted on bicycles
    Cap of 3,000 on Dublin’s stationless rental bikes TI £
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/cap-of-3-000-on-dublins-stationless-rental-bikes-m2tbvfk3n
    It has been proposed that the cost of an annual operating licence will be €200 plus a fee of €100 per bike. Council officials confirmed that any revenue from stationless bike licences and fees would be ringfenced for reinvestment in cycling infrastructure around the city, particularly in the provision of bike parking facilities.

e100 per bike!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Or €0.27 per bike per day. Which sounds less impressive.

Saw that. Its a lovely idea but has to be a PR move.

Dublin Bikes move 50 a time, 2-4 a go just isnt feasible for staffing if its going to be anything other than a weird niche that won't pay the bills.

ED E wrote: »
    Saw that. Its a lovely idea but has to be a PR move.

Dublin Bikes move 50 a time, 2-4 a go just isnt feasible for staffing if its going to be anything other than a weird niche that won't pay the bills.
    might be ok on a college campus, these were in the sdcc area though

• Advertisement
Advertisement