Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New stationless bike rental scheme in Dublin - BleeperBike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

site_owner wrote: »
    ted1 wrote: »
    I guess they’ll copy jump bikes

https://jumpbikes.com/about/

Uber paid $200m for them.

I still don't get how they charge them?
    They get on their bike and change them out!!
    They battery will be good for 60 miles and realistically that’ll do a few days. Staff go around and just insert a charged battery

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

In fairness, the obvious issue there is the lack of bicycle parking. More bicycles on the road is a good thing for the city and cyclists.

Bleeper are paying for extra bike parking - something like 2 extra spaces for each bike they deploy. The Bleeper Bikes can be stacked too, so several bikes only take up one parking space.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Bleeper and Urbo(dead?) are paying per bike to DCC. DCC are responsible for then deploying sheffield stands with the money. We all know how high priority cycling is for 99% of DCC (1% being the DCC Beta lad and Cllr Cuffe).

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Dragon101

politicoo wrote: »
    Fair play. You listened to feedback. I tried one of the bikes with the orange dot. It's better but still not where it needs to be.

It's so easy to be critical, and everyone's at, and let's face it it's 20 Euro a quarter so I shouldn't really complain but I would pay more for it if the bikes were better. Cycling those bikes is like permanently cycling uphill.

But hats off to you for providing a service, making a go of it, and being good value.

How many of the bikes have now been upgraded? Are the new ones common or is it really just a handful?

Dragon101 wrote: »
    How many of the bikes have now been upgraded? Are the new ones common or is it really just a handful?

They're common.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

ted1 wrote: »
    I guess they’ll copy jump bikes

https://jumpbikes.com/about/

Uber paid $200m for them.

Can easily reach up to 20mph ... I hate to say it but do they encourage helmet wearing? I hope so.

Cycling on these in Dublin would be carnage. At least the current dublin bikes yokes are so heavy that they limit speed you can do.

EDIT: It appears they promote the wearing of a helmet on their site with discount offers...lets hope an equivalent service here will do likewise.

Speed has little to with helmets in an urban environment. Your head hits the ground at the same vertical speed at 0kph or 40kph. Lets not derail bleeper with this but any service doing that I'd refuse to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

If Bleeperbikes dont redistribute their bikes with vans like Dublinbikes do isnt it 100% mathematically likely that they all end up in sh1te locations that nobody uses?

Thargor wrote: »
    If Bleeperbikes dont redistribute their bikes with vans like Dublinbikes do isnt it 100% mathematically likely that they all end up in sh1te locations that nobody uses?

Well someone in that area must have an interest in getting there for a bike to end up there in a first place. And they may just be interested in leaving the “sh1the location” too!
    Dublin isn’t built on the side of a hill so there shouldn't be a one way issue

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

loyatemu wrote: »
    Bleeper are paying for extra bike parking - something like 2 extra spaces for each bike they deploy. The Bleeper Bikes can be stacked too, so several bikes only take up one parking space.

But there's a problem in high demand areas.

The new stands are going all over the city, while there's still an acute shortage in the very city centre core.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Thargor wrote: »

They redistribute from locations with no use using electric bicycles with trailers. That still means some bikes will be left places for ages because I'd say their redistribution effort is mainly focused on removing poorly parked bicycles.

jon1981 wrote: »
    Can easily reach up to 20mph ... I hate to say it but do they encourage helmet wearing? I hope so.

Cycling on these in Dublin would be carnage. At least the current dublin bikes yokes are so heavy that they limit speed you can do.

EDIT: It appears they promote the wearing of a helmet on their site with discount offers...lets hope an equivalent service here will do likewise.

Legal pedal-assist electric bicycles are limited to 25km/h before the motor should cut out helping in Ireland and most of the EU -- this would apply to Jump if they ever start here. But even with that limit, you can pedal faster and get to 30km/h no bother, just as I can with a cargo bicycle.

And is this a racing bicycle thing the fear of head injuries and helmets or misunderstanding of speeds? Most adults cycling in urban areas don't fall of their bicycles half as much as some of you guys. And if you're really concerned about TBIs, you'd stop cycling the way you do, because bicycle helmets cannot stop or help with concussion -- ie the brain slamming against the skull inside your head. It's impossible.

I often cycle a Dutch cargo bike (sans children) and my wife's Dutch bicycle at around 30km/h on just a gentle incline or just a little wind behind me, and an DublinBikes take little effort to pick up speed on. The idea that you can only do these speeds on racers etc is so misguided. It's higher than the normal average, but within the normal range.

DublinBikes are only limited by the style people cycle them at -- I have difference modes on them depending on if I'm in a rush or not. It's easier to go faster on ebikes, but it still requires some effort and it's not like Dublin can allow those 50km/h electric bikes (which are not legally bicycles).

On a practical level any shared pedelec scheme would inevitably limit assist power to get the most distance per charge. Burning juice is fine when you're plugging in at the office but not when somebody is being paid to retrieve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

monument wrote: »
    They redistribute from locations with no use using electric bicycles with trailers. That still means some bikes will be left places for ages because I'd say their redistribution effort is mainly focused on removing poorly parked bicycles.

Legal pedal-assist electric bicycles are limited to 25km/h before the motor should cut out helping in Ireland and most of the EU -- this would apply to Jump if they ever start here. But even with that limit, you can pedal faster and get to 30km/h no bother, just as I can with a cargo bicycle.

And is this a racing bicycle thing the fear of head injuries and helmets or misunderstanding of speeds? Most adults cycling in urban areas don't fall of their bicycles half as much as some of you guys. And if you're really concerned about TBIs, you'd stop cycling the way you do, because bicycle helmets cannot stop or help with concussion -- ie the brain slamming against the skull inside your head. It's impossible.

I often cycle a Dutch cargo bike (sans children) and my wife's Dutch bicycle at around 30km/h on just a genital incline or just a little wind behind me, and an DublinBikes take little effort to pick up speed on. The idea that you can only do these speeds on racers etc is so misguided. It's higher than the normal average, but within the normal range.

DublinBikes are only limited by the style people cycle them at -- I have difference modes on them depending on if I'm in a rush or not. It's easier to go faster on ebikes, but it still requires some effort and it's not like Dublin can allow those 50km/h electric bikes (which are not legally bicycles).

I keep saying it, autocorrect can be a bugger.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Been using the BleeperBikes for a few days now. Very handy when all the DB are gone and also gets me closer to home. Is there a reason that they are so tough to cycle.... its like nothing has oil on it and you grind away in first gear. Even on gentle inclines i am out of the saddle :(

PauloConn wrote: »
    Been using the BleeperBikes for a few days now. Very handy when all the DB are gone and also gets me closer to home. Is there a reason that they are so tough to cycle.... its like nothing has oil on it and you grind away in first gear. Even on gentle inclines i am out of the saddle :(

Read back a bit. Orange stickers.

Yeah - they are terrible - even the orange stickers ones suck - tyres too heavy. Hopefully the next company that brings them out does a better job.
    Was in Berlin last week and there are several companies - shock horror - almost all were better than bleeper bikes.

Its not the tyres though, its like there is an old school dynamo on it at times.
    Need to bring a can of WD40 with me and lube them up real good like

It is the tyres. The change is significant. There's a reason you don't have run flats competing in the tour.

Its not the tyres though, its like there is an old school dynamo on it at times.
    Need to bring a can of WD40 with me and lube them up real good like

The types are really heavy so it’s hard to cycle. Imagine turning a stone wheel - then imagine that’s your bike tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Dragon101 wrote: »
    The types are really heavy so it’s hard to cycle. Imagine turning a stone wheel - then imagine that’s your bike tyres.

I think it's the gears too, none of the three settings feel "right" but could just be the tyres. Either way they are absolutely brutal and I've tried the new tyres, slightly better but still made the cycle way tougher than it needs to be. Ive been hoping on them for the sake of it as I bought a monthly sub but each time I wind up thinking a walk would have been so much easier. Won't be using again, and pity DB can't expand their reach.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

seen a guy going through Shankhill on one at 30kmph, he was a whippet, tempted to report him to the Irish Anti Doping based on the reports on here :pac:

It could not have been any of the bikes have used. It almost killed me on the gentle incline up Harolds Cross. It took me 31 minutes to do just under 4km. That is just above walking speed and i was able to do it in 26 minutes the day before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Does anyone know how to get credit refunded? I have no desire to use the bikes again but but they have few euro of mine that I'd like back!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Was behind one today for a minute or two. Was making some racket - mainly from the rear mudguard, which seemed to be a bit loose. Have wondered if the lack of dedicated stands mean they take a bit more abuse than dublin bikes?

Since I have been doing the school runs, I am coming in later on the N11. One user is an awful prat and obviously nips down to the bus stop on it but locks it to the railing so its occupying half the bike lane.

Doesn't affect me often as I normally go in the bus lane due to the pedestrian traffic here but its an awful obnoxious thing to do.

I wonder do they ban users who keep getting reports against them ? They seem more socially engaged than DB who don't give a flying **** what their users do (although this maybe simply because there is no way to track). Bleeper have a huge advantage (and disadvantage) in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Pelvis wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to get credit refunded? I have no desire to use the bikes again but but they have few euro of mine that I'd like back!

Depends why I suppose. Is it because the bikes are sh!te? You could just email them and tell them that but as they give a first ride free trial I'm not sure they have to if you've just bought payg credit.

If you bought a membership, the website says this :

6.6 You may cancel your membership to the BleeperBike service at any time within 14 days of first becoming a member. If you cancel your membership early, we will deduct our fees for your use up to the point of cancellation, calculated on the basis of our standard €0.80* per hour fee. No refund will be given in respect of any cancellation after this 14 day period. *The standard fee will be €1.00 from December 2018 onward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

CramCycle wrote: »
    Since I have been doing the school runs, I am coming in later on the N11. One user is an awful prat and obviously nips down to the bus stop on it but locks it to the railing so its occupying half the bike lane.

Take a photo and give time and place to BleeperBike - and say you'll contact the council if you see the same done again? BleeperBike operates under the condition that the bikes will only be locked to Council stands.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

bleeperbikes seem to be proliferating madly at the moment. loads of them knocking about.

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Take a photo and give time and place to BleeperBike - and say you'll contact the council if you see the same done again? BleeperBike operates under the condition that the bikes will only be locked to Council stands.

Laziness is my greatest enemy, I'd have to stop and physically stand in everyone elses way to get the photo. I stick to the bus lane now school is back anyway so maybe it has already stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

From this months email
    this month we are going to have to start imposing fines upon a very small minority of customers who simply refuse to follow the rules and repeatedly park illegally. This is something we had hoped to avoid at all, but the whole bike sharing concept is based around parking at official bike racks. We have also had customers parking on private property which makes it impossible for other users to get access to the bikes. We as a company can be fined by the local authorities for illegal parking and will pass on these fines to the customers in question

Advertisement