Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New stationless bike rental scheme in Dublin - BleeperBike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

if they are not being operated thats what they are, advertising.

I see some Dublin buses parked up not in use. They've big advertising signs on their sides.

It's a very petty action by DCC considering they haven't caused any issues. It just shows that the council yet again acts in its own interests and not for the public.

If they were really interested in on street issues then they'd clean up the broken glass over reported several times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I see some Dublin buses parked up not in use. They've big advertising signs on their sides.
    are they parked in bays which would otherwise be usable by other road users?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Is there anywhere with a currently successful(*) stationless bike share scheme, or are they all too new to judge?

(*) Let's say: bikes mostly roadworthy after months of use, little or no problems with dumping or blocking footpaths, or illegal parking, redistribution of bikes no worse than Dublin Bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the buses are being used if the app isn't working the bikes can't be used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Chuchote wrote: »
    Odd that the neoliberal adoration of anything done by a private company doesn't extend to a bikeshare scheme.

What does that even mean?

• Advertisement

another company writes to the council saying we'll play nice and releases its letter to the press http://www.herald.ie/news/reckless-jibe-as-bike-wars-to-hit-city-streets-35860536.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

HivemindXX wrote: »
    Perhaps more serious than a bunch of irrelevant pictures but it's still some pretty fantastic wishful thinking.

Do you have any basis, any basis at all, backing your your notion that "many, many people" will choose to use these bikes instead of driving their car the way they currently do?

This may end up being a useful facility. Whether is is or not depends on how the company will address the well documented problems with people leaving the bikes in places and in ways they shouldn't. This company says that won't happen but I don't believe them when they say their agents will simply remove those bikes that are left in inconsiderate places. Here's the thing about the so called "disruptive" companies, they don't follow the rules, they don't think the rules apply to them, and they lie their asses off whenever it suits them. If there is no mechanism to force them to do something that doesn't profit them then they won't do it.

A strong contender for Generalisations of the Year Award.

Yes, I do have a basis for contending that many people will choose a cheap cycle option - the fact that this has already been the experience with DublinBikes.

Incidentally, Austin, Texas is trialling a stationless bike share system; in San Francisco it was stopped by the council

http://uk.businessinsider.com/spin-bikesharing-program-launches-2017-3?r=US&IR=T

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bensin/2017/01/18/what-san-franciscos-backlash-against-chinese-start-up-says-about-east-west-cultural-differences/#3cccb4f51bf4

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I can see many cases where someone driving into work from September to May, is stuck in one of Tue really really backed up jams. They see a bpeeperbikeand think, right so. Pull in a side road, park and ride in the rest of the way.

Similarly pedestrians and public transport users who decide to ride home because Tue weather is nice, and then either ride back in the morning or of the weather is bad, just leave it.

If it manages to penetrate outside the city centre and they actually maintain them, it could do very well.

IrishCycle.com writing about regulation of stationless schemes:
    http://irishcycle.com/2017/06/24/stationless-bicycle-share-should-be-regulated-but-care-is-needed/

Also has a report on the removal of the bikes, pending new by-laws.

Funny the way the rickshaws have been working away quietly but the Corpo jumps on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Funny the way the rickshaws have been working away quietly but the Corpo jumps on this one.

The rickshaws are not left hanging around or parked up on the street when not in use.

Lets not kid ourselves, the reason it has been pulled is because they didn't go through the proper channels. This in it self is sort of OK but once they were notified, and then went ahead anyway, DCC were never going to let it stand.

If the organisers had any sense, they would have made proper representations to each local council in dublin county, explain the benefits, allow a few councillors to get photos, job done.

And they skipped the proper channels to get an unfair advantage on outfits that were trying to go through the proper channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

Bleeper Bikes have all been removed by the county council according to the Irish Times. Apparently they received "numerous" complaints. They did in their hole...

This is a great example of civil servants standing in the way of innovation for no good reason, same goes for the treatment of Uber and the proposed restrictions on AirBnB. We claim to be a tech hub but have a bunch of mindless drones demanding bye laws for every new thing that comes out. That in itself would be (just about) acceptable but you can guess how long we'll have to wait for such bye laws and in terms of prioritisation I would imagine the council workers have better things that they could / should be working on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Bleeper Bikes have all been removed by the county council according to the Irish Times. Apparently they received "numerous" complaints. They did in their hole...

This is a great example of civil servants standing in the way of innovation for no good reason, same goes for the treatment of Uber and the proposed restrictions on AirBnB. We claim to be a tech hub but have a bunch of mindless drones demanding bye laws for every new thing that comes out. That in itself would be (just about) acceptable but you can guess how long we'll have to wait for such bye laws and in terms of prioritisation I would imagine the council workers have better things that they could / should be working on.

There is a perfectly good reason to object Bleeper have no where to store their bikes

complaints by potential rival operators? https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/council-removes-bleeper-bikes-from-streets-of-dublin-1.3135414

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Not picking great examples there. Uber is a pretty scummy company (underpaying employees in 5 states I think it is now) and AirBnB is doing well for tourists but is screwing over other residents in MUDs.

Disruptor tech has an advantage, but only when its reigned in somewhat. Lets get the deliver-rodents off the streets until they're slightly less suicidal for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

There's already a shortage of bike parking spots, as often bemoaned on this forum. No sign of this company paying for more sheffield stands to take up the space they'd be using? Just looking to freeload of the council they're now complaining about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

ED E wrote: »
    Not picking great examples there. Uber is a pretty scummy company (underpaying employees in 5 states I think it is now) and AirBnB is doing well for tourists but is screwing over other residents in MUDs.

Disruptor tech has an advantage, but only when its reigned in somewhat. Lets get the deliver-rodents off the streets until they're slightly less suicidal for one.

Yeah, let's be realistic here. Uber, the company and their management, are vermin. Airbnb has some problems, companies renting out entire apartment buildings without following any of the regulations for landlords for example, but they at least seem willing to engage with regulators and deal with abuses.

Accusing everyone who doesn't thoughtlessly embrace these companies who refuse to follow the rules of being drones is ironic in the extreme.

Never underestimate what the public would complain about to the council.

ED E wrote: »
    Lets get the deliver-rodents off the streets until they're slightly less suicidal for one.

I'd prefer not to talk about other people in such terms.

If Bleeper had gone to the council first off, they'd probably be waiting ten years while there were endless debates and delays. Launching - even if they had to unlaunch again - has put pressure on a council that has not proved itself terribly forward-thinking in terms of bike share so far.

What's the betting that a second stationless bike share company now appears on the scene?

• Advertisement

on a council that has not proved itself terribly forward-thinking in terms of bike share so far.

That's pretty unfair given probably the most successful bike share scheme in the world operates in the city.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    That's pretty unfair given probably the most successful bike share scheme in the world operates in the city.

I'm possibly prejudiced because of where I live - an area where the logo normally goes on transport maps, despite being 10 minutes' cycle from the city centre.

And while DublinBikes is well used, its development has stuttered almost to a halt with stations failing to spread beyond the canals.

And the number of bike stands, while it is improving, needs a radical leap, and they need to be installed on suburban shopping streets and in areas with a lot of offices. If the council suddenly started hanging road signs in the middle of the street there'd be nowhere to tie your bike.

If Bleeper had gone to the council first off, they'd probably be waiting ten years while there were endless debates and delays. Launching - even if they had to unlaunch again - has put pressure on a council that has not proved itself terribly forward-thinking in terms of bike share so far.

What's the betting that a second stationless bike share company now appears on the scene?

That's quite a circular argument. If new by laws were to be created tomorrow sure BB pressured them, if there are delays sure the council is useless. BB can't lose in this situation.

We are aware of several bike share companies with an interest in Dublin, they are just following the rules

so Hugh Bleeping Cooney says he met with the council and agreed to wait for new bye-laws
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/bleeperbike-postpones-full-launch-of-stationless-bike-sharing-scheme-hzchffzjl now we'll wait to see how long they take.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

ive just read the previous ten pages! Here is a suggestion, those morons in Dublin city council and they are useless at everything they do, actually provide more bloody bike parking! I dont think its on, that because of their failings, they stop something that is very beneficial to the city, i.e. more cycling.

No doubt "funds" will be spouted out as an excuse, dont they have the option to lower lpt by 15%? no doubt they will choose that option when the time comes, yet they dont have enough money for anything :rolleyes:

Idbatterim wrote: »
    ive just read the previous ten pages! Here is a suggestion, those morons in Dublin city council and they are useless at everything they do, actually provide more bloody bike parking! I dont think its on, that because of their failings, they stop something that is very beneficial to the city, i.e. more cycling.

No doubt "funds" will be spouted out as an excuse, dont they have the option to lower lpt by 15%? no doubt they will choose that option when the time comes, yet they dont have enough money for anything :rolleyes:

How much do you expect BB to pay for using public facilities ? Or is it a free for all?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Council can't win. They simply can't release if they're currently talking to one or more other options due to commercial considerations of whoever they are talking to. If those discussions are a success then you'll give bleeper the credit. If they fall through, you'll still blame the council.

It's also possible that someone else is in the pipeline, and that's why bleeper ploughed on regardless to try and get the publicity first.

But we may never know I guess!

How much do you expect BB to pay for using public facilities ? Or is it a free for all?
    nothing. they are providing a public service as far as I am concerned! reducing traffic, pollution, noise pollution, improved health... If the city council are so concerned with bikes, why dont they allow taller buildings in appropriate areas and people might not even have to cycle to work, they could walk...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    nothing. they are providing a public service as far as I am concerned! reducing traffic, pollution, noise pollution, improved health... If the city council are so concerned with bikes, why dont they allow taller buildings in appropriate areas and people might not even have to cycle to work, they could walk...

And using public facilities in order to try make a profit, at the expense of the public using those limited facilities.

• Advertisement

And using public facilities in order to try make a profit, at the expense of the public using those limited facilities.
    so if there is a shortage of bike parking, who should be sorting this out?

Advertisement