Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New stationless bike rental scheme in Dublin - BleeperBike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

get the companies to pay for a stand for every 2 bikes licensed - DCC to install on their behalf. Cover the city with bike stands - there's plenty of space. If the companies are going to be charged then the money should be ringfenced for improved cycling facilities only.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

loyatemu wrote: »
    get the companies to pay for a stand for every 2 bikes licensed - DCC to install on their behalf. Cover the city with bike stands - there's plenty of space. If the companies are going to be charged then the money should be ringfenced for improved cycling facilities only.

For reference . DB works on circa 2 spaces for every bike available

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

For reference . DB works on circa 2 spaces for every bike available

In practice it is one full station with no spaces available for every station that has no bikes available.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

call for more bike parking and query DCC regulator and operator
    Cllr Cuffe updated the meeting. There was discussion on;
     the issue of 4th generation bike schemes and implications for City which would
    be discussed at upcoming SPC. Cllr Muirautioned that DCC was operation
    in bike rental schemes as both operator and regulator. Cllr Moynihan requested
    that the issues related to these scheme be referred to the Law Agent for opinion
    prior to the introduction of any Bye-Laws
     the demand for more cycle parking on and off street. D. Brady informed
    members of new cycle spaces available shortly in Drury Street car park and other
    locations. There were requests for multi-story cycle parking as in cities such as
    Amsterdam.
    https://www.dublincity.ie/councilmeetings/documents/s11741/249%20CPG.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Tangentially related (or maybe directly related): Dublin Bikes is at last undergoing another expansion.
    http://irishcycle.com/2017/07/04/dublinbikes-expansion-around-grangegorman-expected-within-weeks/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i found out yesterday that the chap behind bleeperbikes is a distant relative. maybe i should be nicer about it in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Wasn't there a scheme announced for Dublin of at least one Japanese-style automatic parking high-rise thingy? Was it supposed to happen this year?

Oh no, "within the next four years" in 2015 (how could it take that long?

http://www.independent.ie/life/city-cycling/japanesestyle-multistorey-bicycle-parking-planned-for-dublin-within-the-next-four-years-31385104.html
    Japanese-style multi-storey bicycle parking will come into effect in Dublin within the next four years, a senior Dublin City Council engineer has said.
    Dublin City Council is formulating plans for secure multi-storey bicycle parking which will both tackle bicycle crime and increase the number of spaces for bicycle parking.
    Michael Phillips, Dublin City Council’s Director of Traffic and City Engineer said: “One of the issues with theft is we’re afraid we’ll lose the cyclists if it continues.”

“In Japan, there are dedicated multi-storey parks where you get a ticket and a machine takes the bike and parks it.”
    “We would minimise the price of it. But if you want to secure your bicycle, then I’m sure you wouldn’t mind paying for the parking,” Mr Phillips added.

“It’ll be three or four years yet before the Japanese style parking happens. In the meantime, we’ll be trying to use existing car parks and use those spaces in the city. That will come on stream sooner. We’ll have negotiations with car park owners about it.”

“The price of land is at a premium but we’re trying to see can we use multi-storey car parks a bit better to actually provide safe places for bicycle parking because bike theft is a huge issue.”

Over the last 10 years, bike theft has increased by 227 per cent. Around 6,750 bicycles were reported stolen last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They haven't managed to replicate Drury Street never mind a high tech solution. Pipe dream for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Tangentially related (or maybe directly related): Dublin Bikes is at last undergoing another expansion.
    http://irishcycle.com/2017/07/04/dublinbikes-expansion-around-grangegorman-expected-within-weeks/

they need to start looking at expanding beyond the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

TheShow wrote: »

Bike share schemes have a natural limit (imo), and the canals are as good a boundary as any for the DB scheme. I'd fill out the city centre within the canal ring before I'd consider any leap over the canals.

It is a truth universally acknowledged that usage rates decline with distance from a centre, and at some stage provision for cycling has to take over from provision of cycling.

In other news, interesting photos from China here: http://www.ad.nl/bizar/chinese-stad-zit-in-de-maag-met-reusachtig-leenfietsenkerkhof~a487f494/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    Bike share schemes have a natural limit (imo), and the canals are as good a boundary as any for the DB scheme. I'd fill out the city centre within the canal ring before I'd consider any leap over the canals.

It is a truth universally acknowledged that usage rates decline with distance from a centre, and at some stage provision for cycling has to take over from provision of cycling.

Rathmines, Ranelagh, Ballsbridge, Harolds Cross and the equivalent periphery on the north side, all densely populated areas that could hugely benefit from expansion of the DB scheme. The city is not that big, and I get the point about usage rate / distance from centre, but surely these areas should not be overlooked. The city centre has a significant number of stations now and its great that more are being added. I guess overall, its a popular scheme being used by the masses, which is a good thing.

Rathmines does seem a logical place to extend to. It's got a high population density, and it's maybe the most heavily cycled part of Dublin. Only just over the canal too.

Rathmines does seem a logical place to extend to. It's got a high population density, and it's maybe the most heavily cycled part of Dublin. Only just over the canal too.

Harold's Cross is the heaviest cycling area.

Chuchote wrote: »
    Harold's Cross is the heaviest cycling area.

Yeah, actually, maybe, with the two major arterial routes going through it (the N-S and E-W along the canal), but it's mostly people passing through, I think? Rathmines is a destination, a point of origin and a corridor, while Harold's Cross (to me anyway) seems to be a corridor mostly.

I guess I was thinking of some of IrishCycle.com's coverage:
    http://irishcycle.com/2012/02/12/cyclists-in-rathmines-at-rush-hour/

Just in case all that was a bit opaque, I mean Rathmines has a lot of shops, off-licences, restaurants, pubs, a public library, and other stuff I can't remember. Harold's Cross is in comparison mainly residential, so there aren't many people who don't live in Harold's Cross going to Harold's Cross itself.

Yes, this is true; Harold's Cross has been hollowed out to the stage where it's hard for shops to survive, though it's beginning to have some good cafes, and several huge apartment blocks are being built which could make it a shopping area again if bikes rather than cars are facilitated; Rathmines is a whole little shopping area, and when (if…ever…) Fallon & Byrnes open is liable to take a giant leap upmarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Chuchote wrote: »
    Yes, this is true; Harold's Cross has been hollowed out to the stage where it's hard for shops to survive, though it's beginning to have some good cafes, and several huge apartment blocks are being built which could make it a shopping area again if bikes rather than cars are facilitated; Rathmines is a whole little shopping area, and when (if…ever…) Fallon & Byrnes open is liable to take a giant leap upmarket.
    There'll be a couple of hundred people living in the former greyhound track within s few years which might redshift the balance

ted1 wrote: »
    There'll be a couple of hundred people living in the former greyhound track within s few years which might redshift the balance

Greyhound track is going to be a secondary school, isn't it?

Bleeperbikes back on the street today or did I just pass one no one collected?

I saw a Bleeper bike at a stand over the weekend somewhere. I was wondering the same.

• Advertisement

I saw a Bleeper bike at a stand over the weekend somewhere. I was wondering the same.

If they can't even collect all there bikes during a recall it doesn't bode well for them

TheShow wrote: »

DCC don't have the capital for it. Irish government is investing in ev car sharing scheme instead.

DCC don't have the capital for it. Irish government is investing in ev car sharing scheme instead.

Bad thinking; cycling is far cheaper on roads, as well as for the health system…

One or more commercial stationless bike share schemes would work out simpler, if the Corpo can get its by-laws together.

DCC make lots of money from on street parking. They wont act properly until that particular carrot is removed.

Very positive review of the Mobike stationless scheme in Manchester:
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2017/jul/06/manchester-mobike-review-better-than-londons-boris-bikes

Helen Pidd is a reliable journalist, I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Very positive review of the Mobike stationless scheme in Manchester:
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2017/jul/06/manchester-mobike-review-better-than-londons-boris-bikes

Helen Pidd is a reliable journalist, I find.

No chain.
    How are they driven?

Eamonnator wrote: »
    No chain.
    How are they driven?

There is a chain/belt, just enclosed for reliability.

3.3%E6%91%A9%E6%8B%9C%E6%96%B0%E4%B8%80%E8%BD%AE%E8%9E%8D%E8%B5%84%E8%B6%856%E4%BA%BF%E7%BE%8E%E5%85%83%EF%BC%8C%E5%88%9B%E5%85%B1%E4%BA%AB%E5%8D%95%E8%BD%A6%E8%A1%8C%E4%B8%9A%E5%8D%95%E7%AC%94%E8%9E%8D%E8%B5%84%E6%9C%80%E9%AB%98%E7%BA%AA%E5%BD%95.jpg?itok=OujQ2voV

Looks like a shaft drive.

EDIT: Yeah, shaft drive. And single speed, I think, she says in the article? Very minimalist. Nice idea, for short distances.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobike

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭LeoD

I think Bleeper Bikes are a terrible idea but these Mobikes are really interesting. I'm particularly impressed by the fact that you don't have to lock them to anything which would otherwise easily be a cause of public inconvenience. The only thing that could put me off is your personal movements would be recorded but I don't think many people are concerned about privacy issues in the smartphone age anymore. If the bikes can last the 4-5 years without getting wrecked then kudos to the people behind them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I think those bikes look very practical. I imagine, almost maintenance free.
    But what's to stop the local heroes throwing them in the nearest body of water?

Advertisement