Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New stationless bike rental scheme in Dublin - BleeperBike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just got an android update. Wonder if relaunch 5 or is it 6 is immanent?

Two tweets today. Seems to be back moving.

They appear to be partnering with DCU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

ED E wrote: »
    Two tweets today. Seems to be back moving.

They appear to be partnering with DCU.

Between DCU and a student housing place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Chuchote wrote: »
    Between DCU and a student housing place?

DCU has three main sites - Glasnevin, Drumcondra (St. Pat's) and All Hallows - plus a couple of satellite locations such as sports grounds and an Innovation campus. Seems like a sensible choice for a roll-out.

http://www.dcu.ie/sites/default/files/info/images/dcu_map_multicampus_2016.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    DCU has three main sites - Glasnevin, Drumcondra (St. Pat's) and All Hallows - plus a couple of satellite locations such as sports grounds and an Innovation campus. Seems like a sensible choice for a roll-out.

There's also the Tony Ryan Academy, bit of a hike for many I imagine though: https://goo.gl/maps/RweacaVbULQ2 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

That was briefly my daily cycle (well, Killester to CityWest). It was a bit time-consuming, and I wasn't using a Bleeper Bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Doctor Bob wrote: »

yeah but could have all the same problems if people are leaving bikes outside DCU https://www.facebook.com/gstudentvillage/photos/a.1246155475424146.1073741829.1185650121474682/1626502384056118/?type=3&permPage=1 do people require student id number to sign up?
    says they are coming to WEST of Ireland too, UCG ? http://www.bleeperbike.com/#bleepernews

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

worth mentioning that there was a chap at the DCC AGM from a dockless bike sharing company, who mentioned (probably quite deliberately) that they've been consulting with various local authorities about how best to launch; they intend to launch in several irish cities.

http://fullspeedbikes.com/

Someone from the company is speeking again tonight, where 10 people will be going rapid-fire insights from Velo-city 2017, which took place in the Netherlands.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

From twitter:

https://twitter.com/mehimher/status/886860273159634944

Santander cycles arent exactly swift (DBs are better IMO) so thats a pretty low bar to lose to.

I was hoping Obikes were half ok, I was thinking of cycling one 45km or so from Amsterdam to Utrecht in two weeks from now.

The company told me it's ok to leave the bike in Utrecht even though they have not launched there yet. Part of me still thinks it'd be littering to do so.

SofBank is bringing dockless bike sharing to Japan

https://techcrunch.com/2017/08/09/ofo-softbank-japan-dock-less-bikes/
    Asia ofo SoftBank Group business economy
    SoftBank partners with China’s Ofo to bring its dock-less bikes to Japan
    Posted Aug 9, 2017 by Jon Russell (@jonrussell)
    Next Story

A month after committing to help WeWork enter Japan, SoftBank is lending a hand to another global unicorn with its sights set on the country. Today, it announced a tie-in that will bring Ofo’s dock-less bike rental service to Japanese soil.

Ofo, which has raised more than $1 billion from investors such as Alibaba, Didi Chuxing and DST Global, claims over 100 million registered users and eight million bikes, each of which can be left anywhere and hired by scanning an attached QR code via the Ofo app.

Ofo will work with SoftBank C&S — the firm’s division responsible for IOT, robotics and the cloud — on the Japan launch. The initial plan is to bring Ofo’s bikes to Tokyo and Osaka in September ahead of a presumably wider expansion that will happen at a later date.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

there's one of these bikes still parked outside Holles st hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

1bryan wrote: »
    there's one of these bikes still parked outside Holles st hospital.

The system is "Active" once more.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Feckofff

Not really, I can see 1 from my apartment bit it's not showing up in the app.
    The holles street sighting is probably s stray from dcu.

I would love to see the system up and running but unfortunately quiet a few of the councillor in DCC are anti-cycling. One of the largest parties on the council doesn't even mention cycling in their transport policy. So I won't be holding my breath!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

You can't claim the problems with this are just down to the council being anti-cycling. The "disruptive" style of the initial roll out had problems and the council were justified in pushing back as far as I'm concerned.

If the end result is that the companies wanting to operate stationless bike schemes come up with a way to ensure their bikes won't be left blocking the footpaths and won't crowd public bike parking out from people who aren't paying them a fee every time they use a bike then that's a good result as far as I'm concerned.

HivemindXX wrote: »
    You can't claim the problems with this are just down to the council being anti-cycling. The "disruptive" style of the initial roll out had problems and the council were justified in pushing back as far as I'm concerned.

If the end result is that the companies wanting to operate stationless bike schemes come up with a way to ensure their bikes won't be left blocking the footpaths and won't crowd public bike parking out from people who aren't paying them a fee every time they use a bike then that's a good result as far as I'm concerned.

I don't expect this type of scheme to ever be allowed to operate in the city with the current council. But maybe they will prove me wrong. I would be genuinely shocked!

Cyclist need to get out and vote for cycling friendly councillors and parties that actually have transport policies that consider cycling a positive for the city.

As an example compare the positive approach taken by Paddy Smyth of quiet way fame, to the attitude of Chris Andrews. It is literally night and day. If cyclist want a better city they need to have their voice hear through the ballot box.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Feckofff wrote: »
    I don't expect this type of scheme to ever be allowed to operate in the city with the current council.
    you're aware of the history with bleeperbikes and the council? bleeperbikes pretty much set out to antagonise them - not that the response from the council made complete sense at times too, but i don't have much sympathy for bleeperbikes.

you're aware of the history with bleeperbikes and the council? bleeperbikes pretty much set out to antagonise them - not that the response from the council made complete sense at times too, but i don't have much sympathy for bleeperbikes.

The council are much happier to drag their feet than to be seen making a decision that could be criticised. Beep beep pushed the pace but I suspect the attitude from the council would/will be the same no matter what approach is taken.

Also there was no shortage of council resources when the bikes were being removed but there are no resouses when it comes to illegal parking or pothole repair.

Anyway my main point is, if we elect the same anti-cycling councillors we can't seriously expect anything to change. It is up to us as voter to try and shape the city we want.

Anyway my main point is, if we elect the same anti-cycling councillors we can't seriously expect anything to change. It is up to us as voter to try and shape the city we want.

Time for us to put together a questionnaire to send to everyone standing for council election.

Time for us to put together a questionnaire to send to everyone standing for council election.

I've certainly been thinking about it! There are a lot of things to consider. I don't mean to drag this thread off topic so I will start a new one.

The council are much happier to drag their feet than to be seen making a decision that could be criticised. Beep beep pushed the pace but I suspect the attitude from the council would/will be the same no matter what approach is taken.
    part of the reason they asked bleeperbikes to delay is that (afaik) they were already in talks with other companies who wanted to roll out a dockless system, but who were sensible enough to realise that if they're launching a commercial service which depends on free use of public space, they should talk to the people who manage that public space. bleeperbikes decided to bypass that to get a lead on the competitors.

• Advertisement

part of the reason they asked bleeperbikes to delay is that (afaik) they were already in talks with other companies who wanted to roll out a dockless system, but who were sensible enough to realise that if they're launching a commercial service which depends on free use of public space, they should talk to the people who manage that public space. bleeperbikes decided to bypass that to get a lead on the competitors.

But nobody can cycle into town on "talk".
    Let's wait and see. Hopefully I will be proven wrong and I will be delighted to eat my words :)

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

the holles st one has been there since the first aborted attempt at the scheme. They probably forgot where they left some of them when they went to collect the bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Bunch of these bikes appeared in tallaght today near the square.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

manonboard wrote: »

Maybe hoping a different council won't be so harsh?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭secman

manonboard wrote: »

Yep I noticed them on Monday evening on my way back from a spin, they were close enough to entrance to Hospital, just had standard type locks on them, I wondered if they were provided by hospital !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

It does sound a bit like "We Want People To Cycle!"
    And voilà, a means to achieve this goal appeared and the reply was "Jesus Christ lads, we didn't mean all of you at once! Can't be having that!"
    And there we see what lying, insincere pieces of whatever politicians are.
    They could have tried to adapt and create more space for bikes, more parking facilities, better enforcement and facilitate this phenomenon that should have been the wet dream of any politician that espouses the virtues of cycling.
    But now we see that this was all just politicians rattling off soundbites on a fashionable topic to **** off potential voters and how modern and progressive they are.
    Instead they just abused their position to steal the property of a business in order to stamp out something that didn't fit in with their plans. I'm guessing they will wholeheartedly support such a project when they have the chance to push the contract in the direction of a friend, crony or cousin of theirs.
    Any vote for a politician that promises X, Y and Z is a waste of time because it will never happen or only benefit cronies and relatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I personally don't like the idea that the bikes can just be locked up or abandoned anywhere. As has been shown elsewhere it can get out of hand very quickly and will make certain elements of society hate cyclists more and may turn new segments against cyclists.

I think the Dublin bikes method of having stations is excellent. I'd be in favour of these been shared facilities for all bike rental schemes. I'd also love if each station had a minimum of 50 spaces and be on streets where there is room for a much bigger expansion. It would be great if no matter where a person is in the city that they are no more than 250 metres from a station. Annual Licensing fees payable from the likes of Bleeper Bikes could help fund expansion. It would be like the way electricity works in Ireland where the likes of Airtricity and Energia do not own the infrastructure. In the case the bike stations would be owned by Dublin Bike and bikes provided by them and other companies.

I also think the stations should be upgraded so te bike can be unlocked from them using a smart phone and not an onscreen display.

I personally don't like the idea that the bikes can just be locked up or abandoned anywhere. As has been shown elsewhere it can get out of hand very quickly and will make certain elements of society hate cyclists more and may turn new segments against cyclists.

Gobshítes gotta gob. If they're going to hate, they don't need an excuse.

But just because the Chinese behave badly with these bikes doesn't mean Dubs would. After all, the heavens were ringing with dire warnings of the vandalism and ill behaviour that was going to come about when the Dublin Bikes were first announced, based on what had happened elsewhere. Turned out Dubs loved them and treated them well.

And while the Dublin Bikes scheme is great if you live between the canals, it has long ceased to be good enough - the advantage of Bleeper et al is that the scheme would cover Greater Dublin. It could clear the roads incredibly, getting rid of all those cars that are carelessly flung just anywhere taking up public space :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

But just because the Chinese behave badly with these bikes doesn't mean Dubs would. After all, the heavens were ringing with dire warnings of the vandalism and ill behaviour that was going to come about when the Dublin Bikes were first announced, based on what had happened elsewhere. Turned out Dubs loved them and treated them well.

This comparison is no more appropriate than any of the previous times you've made it. Schemes like Dublin Bikes work well in other cities. Idiots say "well, it might work other places but it won't work here". Idiots proven wrong. No surprise.

Schemes like Bleeper Bikes have significant problems in other cities. Assuming that those problem won't occur here, just because, is wishful thinking at best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Gobshítes gotta gob. If they're going to hate, they don't need an excuse.

And while the Dublin Bikes scheme is great if you live between the canals, it has long ceased to be good enough - the advantage of Bleeper et al is that the scheme would cover Greater Dublin. It could clear the roads incredibly, getting rid of all those cars that are carelessly flung just anywhere taking up public space :P

People are inherently lazy and will dump them everywhere. They won't care. Big offices like google will have stacks of them outside on the footpath. Has there even been a success story for schemes like Bleeper where they weren't dumped everywhere?

The current (and a lot of new ones) should be open to all companies.

Advertisement