Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question about traveling from Westmeath to Meath.

• 14-06-2017 11:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭

Now I'm not locally from around this area, the purpose of my question is to establish the correct hitching route to Ballinlough Castle which is in Meath. I am travelling from Galway to the Body & Soul festival site to work the week before the festival. Rather than take a bus to Dublin from Galway (Usual Bus Eireann route) and go that route to Delvin (near the Cavan border) from Dublin. I plan to do the Citylink commuter service from Galway to Dublin instead and either get off at Tyrellspass or Kinnegad, both areas in Westmeath. What is the best place to get off at? Tyrellspass or Kinnegad? I was planning on hitching the rest of the way, what is the nearest to Ballinlough Castle and what would be the best road to hitch on. Thanks for any info and sorry for such a long and rambling question.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Not sure that's a very good plan logistically, but if you really want to do it, get off in Kinnegad, hitch to Mullingar, then Delvin, then Ballinlough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Not sure that's a very good plan logistically, but if you really want to do it, get off in Kinnegad, hitch to Mullingar, then Delvin, then Ballinlough

yes.
    the road between mullingar to delvin has been closed for 4 months and has a big diversion on it
    ballinlough castle is out the far side of Clonmellon, quite a distance from Delvin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Someone posted on one of the Body & Soul facebook groups that, that road is apparently opening again next Tuesday, so fingers crossed. Hopefully there is good coverage there if I get stranded, could just appeal to someone on facebook to pick me up from the festival site hopefully, the festival site is supposed only about 15 kilometres from Kinnegad.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

I think you're nuts! Why dont you get a bus to dublin, then one to Athboy (they go every hour), and hitch from there? Ballinlough is 27Km away from Kinnegad, if you take the absolute nest of back roads which nobody will be on, its 47.4Km if you go the way you're talking about!!!

23le0Ng.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭dar_cool

That road from Mullingar to Delvin has reopened already, Id say if you got to Mullingar and walked out the N52 towards Delvin you could hitchhike to Delvin. first few miles out of mullingar the road is wide so would be safe enough to walk along hitching. Its only a car journey of about 15 minutes from there into Delvin so not that long

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

dar_cool wrote: »
    That road from Mullingar to Delvin has reopened already, Id say if you got to Mullingar and walked out the N52 towards Delvin you could hitchhike to Delvin. first few miles out of mullingar the road is wide so would be safe enough to walk along hitching. Its only a car journey of about 15 minutes from there into Delvin so not that long

festival traffic will be coming out that road

so you should get a lift handy enough to the venue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Theres a once a day bus OP from Navan it looks like to Athone. Would it be of any use?

http://www.buseireann.ie/timetables/1473418319-70.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Advertisement