Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I think I suffer from body dysmorphophobia.

• 15-06-2017 1:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Title says it all. Physique wise, I've started working out and plan on getting into great shape but I don't like how my face looks.
    Frankly, I feel ugly and am very envious of the guys that ya see women drooling over. I would love so much to look like them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Not feeling good about your appearance isnt body dysmorphia. Most people have insecurities about how we look, theres allot of women i'd rather have similar features to and I dont always feel very satisfied with my appearance but the older you get the more you realise there are more important things.
    Body dysmorphia is when you focus on imagined 'flaws' to a point of obsession and see flaws that arent really there. So someone with an average size nose might imagine their nose is huge, obsess over it and maybe even get surgery to correct the imagined problem. Body dysmorphia can make very average or good looking people go to drastic measures to change their appearance. Donatella Versace and Jocelyn Wildenstein would be examples of body dysmorphia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I have to agree with AiryFairy. Body dysmorphia doesn't equal simply feeling ugly. It's more akin to wanting to rip off your face on the off chance that there might be a better one underneath. The term is bandied about so frequently these days that apparently a woman putting on some makeup is a form of it. People with body dymorphia would more likely describe it as feeling deformed, abnormal, not wanting to go out because people will point, laugh, stare. It affects and impedes their life.

Can you honestly say this is along the lines of how you feel? If so, and you're nodding along saying 'yes, that is very like how I feel' then seeking some help in the form of a counsellor/therapist would be recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

What age are you?

I appreciate a good looking man but I've never desired to look much different to the way I look. When I was younger I might have wanted to change a feature but I don't think about it now.

As for women drooling..... Are you watching too many Diet Coke ads?

Who are you trying to emulate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Red F Warrior

Apologies if I went too extreme. I simply don't like how my face looks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

What's wrong with your face? Is your skin bad? Do you have dodgy teeth? These things can be fixed.

You should remember that you are the product of a long line of people, who looked just like you. And someone fancied enough of those people enough to ride the ears off them. And you're the final and triumphant result. So if you think about it, you're probably actually gorgeous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

What age are you? If its mostly about being attractive to girls there are lots of other things you need to consider. Look at most well know male comedians , they aint good looking as a rule but they would certainly be surrounded in a bar fairly quickly, think Jimmy Carr or Dara O'Brien for example, they certainly didn't get to where they are on their looks. Rather than focusing on your flaws as you see it you just need to push yourself in different areas, so yeah hit the gym take up some interesting activities, find ways to develop your sense of humour or the ability to hold the attention of a group.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I'm 23 and my skin isn't too bad and my teeth are fine but I have a bit of a round face. I know I probably shouldn't be complain but I've always struggled with self esteem. I've just always wanted to be really handsome yano.

Dude.... we probably all have some issue we'd like to change.

I have a large overhanging eye brow thing going on that my hot tall blonde wife slags me about.... that and my nose... and my bizarre wrinkle on my forehead and my old man's ass...

Become more interesting - take up some cool hobbies - branch out and meet more people - take your focus off yourself.

Would you go talk to someone about your self esteem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

We can't all be good looking, half of us will always be below average, that's just life and you have to just take what life gives you and make the most of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭blinkwink

Hey OP, I am in the same boat as you and I would definitely recommend talking to someone about self-esteem.

Personally, I dislike the colour of my teeth and the only reason I don't do anything bout it is because i'm afraid of damaging the enamel. I look very young (so I'm told) for someone in their early 20s and am quite skinny as well, so I'm unsure if girls take me seriously.

However, it really is in the eye of the beholder. Everyone is different and everyone has different tastes.

How is your social life, if you don't mind me asking? I don't know what your situation is but maybe getting out as well with friends, meeting new people (including girls) may boost your confidence. Don't know if this is of any help but keep your head up OP :)

blinkwink wrote: »
    . I look very young (so I'm told) for someone in their early 20s and am quite skinny as well,)

This will be a bonus in your 30s and 40s...

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭blinkwink

zoobizoo wrote: »
    This will be a bonus in your 30s and 40s...

Yeah I've been told that as well haha

Thanks for all the replies. Appreciated. My social life isn't great which doesn't help with my confidence id say. I probably have a problem with my self esteem that I need to sort out.

Advertisement