Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My grandmother has terminal cancer

• 15-06-2017 4:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi everyone, dont really know why im posting I just needed to vent I think. My granny's been in and out of hospital the last few months, doctors didnt know what was wrong but they told her yesterday she's got terminal cancer with 6 months to a year to live. Im completely broken over this news, I dont know how to handle it.

Since moving back home 3 years ago I built a relationship with her that I never had before, it was a very child/grandparent relationship before this but we've built an adult relationship over the past few years were we chat about everything and I grew extremely close to her, visiting her a few times a week, spending time with her and now this happens.. Shes my last grandparent and I suppose this is the beginning of the end of an era, shes been a huge part of my life and like a second mother, she's always been someone I looked up to for her strength and resilience.

My grandad died 4 years ago, his anniversary was the day before we found out about my granny and I dont know how to be there for her or my mother. Nothing will ever be the same again. Ive never had anyone close to me get cancer and I dont know how to deal with it.
    Sorry for the rant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ceej

Sorry to hear about your Grandmother. I have a diagnosis of terminal cancer too. Give yourself some time to let the diagnosis sink in then try to concentrate on making the time you do have as happy as possible and you can be happy and have terminal cancer. I'm sure you will be a great comfort to your grandmother. Take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Shoebox1926

Ceej wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your Grandmother. I have a diagnosis of terminal cancer too. Give yourself some time to let the diagnosis sink in then try to concentrate on making the time you do have as happy as possible and you can be happy and have terminal cancer. I'm sure you will be a great comfort to your grandmother. Take care.

Thank you Ceej, im so sorry to hear about your illness. Sending you lots of love. x

• Registered Users Posts: 28,006 ✭✭✭✭looksee

So sorry to hear about your granny Shoebox. Ceej's advice is very good, try and be happy with her, be there for her and for your mum, but mostly try and keep your relationship the way it was. Its not easy of course, but she and your mother need support, try and be strong for them. And tell her how much your relationship with her has meant to you.

Take care, and love to both you and Ceej.

Advertisement