Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

japanese knotweed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭pawdee

pawdee wrote: »
    Here's a before picture anyway (I hope)..........

BTW......this photo was from when I bought the property almost 4 years ago. The previous owner did all the hacking!

I'm having awful trouble uploading photos. I tried compressing and all sorts but I'm not great at this kind of thing. Obviously! I'll have an after photo asap.

Try this,
    https://postimages.org/

I havent used it myself but seen it recommended here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I'm having awful trouble uploading photos. I tried compressing and all sorts but I'm not great at this kind of thing. Obviously! I'll have an after photo asap.

If on iphone, email the picture to yourself....it will then ask you to pick the size of photo and reduice to below 4mb....

Ok, so I don't have an iphone but trying this:

https://postimg.cc/WFW3qCjJ

That's the after shot anyway! Seeded it at weekend and set wild flowers along the borders. Hopefully I'll have a lawn soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

Keep a lookout for artichoke like sprouts shooting up if you see them ground is soft enough for you to carefully cut and dig out a deep square and sift through it carefully to find the offending twig

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Here's a before picture anyway (I hope)..........

Anyone know what the council guys are using, that seems to demolish it in no time and leave a wasteland behind afterwards. I`ve heard they inject the root.
    Whatever Leitrim County Council use its the business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

I doubt you can get it easily but Icade is one I've heard of https://www.pitchcare.ie/shop/professional-weed-killers-for-japanese-knotweed/icade-herbicide.html

If its killed everything then some form of glyphosate is probably what they use and its used to inject the stems then glyposate product every one knows is Roundup

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭keithm1

I’m winning the battle against this stuff it seems
    I had a section of garden about 10 meters by 6 meters really bad infestation huge rhizomes bulging out of the ground
    I’ve been injecting and spraying the last 3 years and this year I have very few shoots so I’ll let them come up again and inject and spray

My question for any experts here is where can I dump the rhizome when I dig them up.
    My plan is to dig them out and put immediately into bags sometime around September

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

Ok, so I don't have an iphone but trying this:

https://postimg.cc/WFW3qCjJ

Wow...well done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I'm far from an expert and I'm sure a lot of professionals would disagree with the approach I've taken. However, my understanding is that if you spray knotweed at this time of year or in summer what you'll achieve is only top kill. I'd say you're better off letting whatever shoots that appear to grow until late summer / early autumn. Spraying them then will ensure that they draw the glyphosate down to their roots as they begin to hibernate for winter. As I said, I'm no expert and I've heard people say it's a good idea to zap them as they appear. It's tempting but if it was me I'd wait!
    dball wrote: »
    dont spray them until they flower - probably late august or September is best advice.

Spraying now and they will conserve/use their energy that they have for growing above ground into their roots and crowns and will pop up in more places.

like a virus, slow and steady when the time is right. Not currently

Both of you were spot on I sprayed them and might as well have had put a bag of Nitrogen on them!

I have a huge improvement but as mentioned above injecting the stalks later in the year is the definitive cure!

Truckermal wrote: »
    Both of you were spot on I sprayed them and might as well have had put a bag of Nitrogen on them!

I have a huge improvement but as mentioned above injecting the stalks later in the year is the definitive cure!

The only reason to spray at this time of year is to keep the top growth controlled so its easier to get good coverage for the later spraying.

Efforts up to the end of the month and maybe mid June make it much easier to spray later on.

I've had stands of it that were a meter or more above the top of my head and needed a slasher to get into. Solution (other than spraying what I could at the correct time) was to knock all the dead stems over during the winter then spray twice early in the year with the last early spray at the end of May. Then by late August early September the JK was back up to about eye level, much less dense and far easier to get into spray.

You also eventually get to a point where the little bits that come back after a good Autumn spraying can't be left all year and you have to resort to spraying those little bits whenever you see then at every and any opportunity.

keithm1 wrote: »
    I’m winning the battle against this stuff it seems
    I had a section of garden about 10 meters by 6 meters really bad infestation huge rhizomes bulging out of the ground
    I’ve been injecting and spraying the last 3 years and this year I have very few shoots so I’ll let them come up again and inject and spray

My question for any experts here is where can I dump the rhizome when I dig them up.
    My plan is to dig them out and put immediately into bags sometime around September

Thats a tricky question. Technically I think they fall under the same category as toxic waste if you take them to the tip.

The bagging idea is good any chance you can triple bag using heavy duty bags and bury them on your own your own land?

The few rhizomes I've dug out I've put few at a time into our wood burning stove.

I'd burn them .

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

I'd burn them .
    +1

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Probably a silly question but... what would happen to the weedkiller in the plant when it's subjected to high temperatures? Maybe the dump and the toxic waste aren't such a bad idea.

New Home wrote: »
    Probably a silly question but... what would happen to the weedkiller in the plant when it's subjected to high temperatures? Maybe the dump and the toxic waste aren't such a bad idea.

Burn it bit at a time in a woodburner or outside and stand down wind?

The problem on a tip is that if you say what it is then either they won't let you get rid of it or charge you a fortune to take it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Burn it bit at a time in a woodburner or outside and stand down wind?

The problem on a tip is that if you say what it is then either they won't let you get rid of it or charge you a fortune to take it.

Same thing with plastic, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Lenny17123

Hey, I stumbled across this thread this morning. Unsure if what i have is Japanese knot-weed but i'd say it's fairly close to it. It seems to have come up out of no where this year. The problem is it seems to have set up in the tree line between my house and my neighbours and its only become noticeable as it has sprouted up above the tree's now.

Can anyone confirm if it is knot-weed or what i might be dealing with here?

IMG-20200526-140444.jpg

Looks like elderberry to me.

• Advertisement

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Looks like elderberry to me.

Thanks for that. Looking it up now that's exactly what I think it is. My fear's alleviated so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

This is an interesting thread...

I do think it maybe worth revisiting one of the initial posts... (albeit from 3yrs ago!)
    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    To answer main question. I bought a house, after I bought house I had gardener in. He spotted a small plant of it growing about 3m from house. I rang a friend and he brought over a surveyor. More or less the surveyor said I could hand the house back to the seller. If they wouldn't accept I could go after the estate agent for not telling me it was on property.....the seller would have to take back the house according to him. End of story.

It roots grow deep, if it gets a strong hold the root can grow under house and cause damage to the foundations. If you are selling a house you have to make the buyer aware of it.

Please note this is the info I was given.

I fear the above poster has been ill advised by the 'surveyor' in the story. (Surveyor is a very general term and can cover... Quantity Surveyors, Building Surveyors, Property Managers, Letting agents, Asset Managers, Estate Agents, ....all very different and distinct professions.)

There is no policy in Ireland of 'Full disclosure' Its buyer beware, the onus is on the buyer to do their own due diligence.

There is no system for a 'refund' on a house or handing one back due to a defect be it concealed or apparent..

A seller could actively (and often do) try to conceal an issue from the purchasers Building Surveyor. A surveyor can only deal with what they can see but are wise to such tactics all the same. A decent Building Surveyor will be aware of and look for Japanese knot-weed or indications of its presence.

Its the UK where mortgages are affected by JK. If you have it and a surveyor from the building society or bank spots it then there's a good chance you won't get a mortgage.

Lenny17123 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Looking it up now that's exactly what I think it is. My fear's alleviated so.

It should be flowing now,you can make cordial out of them.
    For your gin and tonic!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

For your gin and tonic!

And wine! Even better.

And wine! Even better.

Oh hello.
    How much do you need ..!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Depends on how much you drink!
    The wine is made with the berries, never made it myself but have drunk it. Buckfast springs to mind!
    I'd imagine there's plenty of info on the ould interweb.

For your gin and tonic!
    And wine! Even better.

Here was me thinking I might have a battle on hands getting rid of some form of weed to be pleasantly surprised that I can now make wine and cordial out of the berries.

I think I was just too focused on how fast it seemed to grow. I'd say its nearly 12 to 15ft high!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pious14

I don’t think this is JK but want to be certain before I go culling it. Any idea what it is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pious14

I dont think this is JK but want to be certain before I go culling it. Any idea what it is?

Advertisement