Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTB say rent is going down in Dublin - anyone believe that?

Options
  • 15-06-2017 7:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

I see the RTB are claiming rents are going down in Dublin.
    I don't buy it.
    A breakdown of area and property type would be good.

I just saw a headline. I'll look for the actual report later.

So if rents are going down in Dublin , when does it cease to be a rent pressure zone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

It might be leveling off a bit for the moment....

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

So if rents are down in Dublin .....

What's the definition of a RPZ again?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Per the reports, it's just a small downtick over one quarter. It's much to soon to say that there's a trend under way. And it's driven by declining rents for apartments, rather than for houses.

The Rent Index is compiled by the ESRI from the RTB's own dataset of properties and rents. I believe that if you know what you're at you can interrogate the dataset to get more specific information broken down by property type, area, etc, but that's way beyond my competence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I'd imagine it's because there's barely any properties coming up for rent and those that are at the lower end of the market.

Anyone who has a good place is staying put.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

I'd love to see the volume of rental changes this is based on compared to say this time last year. I'd hardly say the RTB register is a true reflection of actual rents. Landlords don't necessarily update the register when there is a rent review or when a tenant moves out. Plus there are serious issues with the register with properties registered falling off or not appearing at all. I've had to contact RTB for both of these situations recently.

• Advertisement
Advertisement