Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking Housemate to be

Options
  • 15-06-2017 8:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭

I am a non smoker who is moving to a small town. I found a housemate who is really nice. The house is going tobl be available by the end of June so we got an air bnb accommodation. We are sharing the room here and I noticed that it seems like she is smoking in the room or bathroom secretly. I don't understand why some one will do this in another person's property and with another person sharing the room with her. I am now scared that she will refuse to stop smoking in the house if we move in and make the whole house smell bad.
    What can I do now. I plan to confront her when I smell it again. But I don't know if she will promise to change but continue when we get into the new house

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,810 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Just be upfront and say it to her. As disgusting as the smell is, a lot of smokers are oblivious to this and think it's grand. Make her aware it bothers you and I'm sure she'll understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Find another housemate, this one will never work out. If she's a sly addict to start with, things will only get worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Unanimous

its such a small town and i dont think i can find a new housemate. we had two options to rent two different houses and one had separate bathrooms and a big balcony. but the second one was luxurious. we both liked the luxurious one and we picked that one. I didnt know she smoked then. I dont know if she is hiding the fact that she smokes from me but i find it odd that she doesnt do it when i am there and when i step out and step in the room has a funny smell. I plan to talk to her about it. I dont mind going for the less luxurious house or letting it go entirely.
    we have already paid a deposit for the house and I dont know how to get my money back if i want to back off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Sherlof3

Is she definetly smoking inside? I used to smoke but always went outside, now that I've stopped there are loads of times I thought my husband had been smoking inside but it was the smell off his clothes and hair after coming back inside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Unanimous

OK maybe I will have to ask her to be sure that she is not doing it inside. We share a room now and if she is not doing it inside, then I won't have a problem with it when we have our separate rooms. I have never really lived away from home until recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Unanimous wrote: »
    I dont know if she is hiding the fact that she smokes from me but i find it odd that she doesnt do it when i am there and when i step out and step in the room has a funny smell.
    A smokers sense of smell will be bad, and if she doesn't smell it at all, it just means shes probably a very heavy smoker.

I'm guessing she thinks you don't smell it, and won't say anything until you've moved in and it's too late. Fcuk knows what other bad habits that she's hiding form you!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Jesus I think there's an overreaction here.

Just ask her if she's smoking inside and if she intends doing it when you move in together.

If you can't discuss these things now you're in trouble when you're living together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Been where you are OP, tried to deal but in the end was constantly sick from the 2nd hand smoke coming through the cavities in the house and off their clothes.
    I asked LL why he was renting a house as non smoking when it clearly was a smoking house, he laughed. Had a word with smoker 1, who said he would try to not smoke in bed(as I was in the unit over him), smoker 2 told me to FO as he had rights.
    So many smokers in denial of lots of things in their habits, think carefully.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

the_syco wrote: »
    Fcuk knows what other bad habits that she's hiding form you!
    Bredabe wrote: »
    So many smokers in denial of lots of things in their habits, think carefully.

Did I miss something about smokers that makes them prone to other habits? Is smoking some sort of lead in to nail biting, ritual animal sacrifices and consorting with the undead?

OP, you need to have a conversation (not confrontation) with your potential housemate.

If smoking in the house is a deal breaker, better to get it sorted now. If sharing a house with someone who's clothes will smell of smoke, better to start making alternative plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Graham wrote: »
    Did I miss something about smokers that makes them prone to other habits? Is smoking some sort of lead in to nail biting, ritual animal sacrifices and consorting with the undead?

OP, you need to have a conversation (not confrontation) with your potential housemate.

If smoking in the house is a deal breaker, better to get it sorted now. If sharing a house with someone who's clothes will smell of smoke, better to start making alternative plans.
    Speaking for myself, I found deep denial of the smell, danger and health implications of smoking in smokers and nonsmokers.
    One smoker complained bitterly when the LL told them to smoke outside(I guess someone younger and prettier than me asked him too) as he felt "his chest" couldn't take the constant wettings!

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I find smokers who try to hide the fact that they smoke have other bad habits that they're hiding better. Any smoker who admits to being a smoker, and doesn't hide it; never had any issue with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Obviously not a 'Family Guy' fan. :pac:

Advertisement