Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brake light always on

• 15-06-2017 10:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭

So, I adjusted the position of the rear brake pedal, to make it more comfortable.
    Like an idiot I didn't think to check the brake light. Saw when I got to work that the light looked bright, so a quick check, the brake light is always on now.

Does anyone know how I can fix this? Preferably without tools. I don't think there are any at work, but I'll ask around if I do need some.

In case it makes a difference, its a Yamaha XJ6.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

There is a lock nut that lets you adjust the slack of the pedal, when adjusting the pedal you should have loosed this to the max and then positioned the pedal and adjusted to suit. You might get away with opening this nut a few turns to take the excess pressure of the pedal. Obviously its not that bad as you did not feel the brake dragging so its just barely engaging....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I'm sure you'll survive the trip home with the brake light on. Just ensure it's off when parked up :D

You just need a spanner or possibly 2 and slacken the brake light adjustment nut, you can keep the peddle where it is. An XJ6 forum will no doubt have the exact steps required or the owners manual if you still have it. Easy fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

I don't think its engaging the brake itself. I had the rear wheel off the ground and it was spinning freely (I lubed the chain after I did the pedal).

So I need to scare up some spanners to fix this?

zubair wrote: »
    I'm sure you'll survive the trip home with the brake light on. Just ensure it's off when parked up :D

You just need a spanner or possibly 2 and slacken the brake light adjustment nut, you can keep the peddle where it is. An XJ6 forum will no doubt have the exact steps required or the owners manual if you still have it. Easy fix.
    I have the owners manual at the house, I can't check it here. The XJ6 forums aren't great for that kind of info. They are where I found out how to adjust the pedals, but no mention of the brake light.

Worst case I'll do it when I get home. But I know there is extra traffic in my area today due to an event on, and I mean a massive amount of extra traffic, so I'd prefer to have it working for the run home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Exactly, probably a 10 and a 12 at a guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

zubair wrote: »
    Exactly, probably a 10 and a 12 at a guess.

Probably a 17...most of them have just one lock nut..

Probably a 17...most of them have just one lock nut..

Definitely not a 17. It was a 10 & a 12 to adjust the lever, so I'd guess one/both to sort the light out.

Can't get any spanners at work, so I'll have to do it at home later. Just hope the ride home is incident free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

There's a break pedal switch usually around the pedal somewhere, just give this a bit of slack and the switch will go back to functioning as it should. You might find a spring somewhere connected to the pedal this will lead to the switch for the back break light.

Similar to this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-XJ6-N-1-Diversion-12-rear-brake-light-switch-/322255434804

TallGlass wrote: »
    There's a break pedal switch usually around the pedal somewhere, just give this a bit of slack and the switch will go back to functioning as it should. You might find a spring somewhere connected to the pedal this will lead to the switch for the back break light.

Similar to this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-XJ6-N-1-Diversion-12-rear-brake-light-switch-/322255434804

Thats brilliant, thanks. I'll look for that on the bike when I get a break here.

I didn't even think of looking for the parts to see what it would be, cheers.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

kiddums wrote: »
    Definitely not a 17. It was a 10 & a 12 to adjust the lever, so I'd guess one/both to sort the light out.

Can't get any spanners at work, so I'll have to do it at home later. Just hope the ride home is incident free.

You should be able to wind it down by hand just to get you home, if you can disconnect the connector even better..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

You probably have it sorted by now but incase anyone comes searching again ;)

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1161691/Yamaha-Xj6.html?page=67

You should be able to wind it down by hand just to get you home, if you can disconnect the connector even better..
    Yeah, I got it adjusted by hand. It was handy enough once I knew what to look for & do.

Cheers Folks.:D
    chasm wrote: »
    You probably have it sorted by now but incase anyone comes searching again ;)

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1161691/Yamaha-Xj6.html?page=67
    I got it sorted, but I'm bookmarking that for again, cheers. That'll be useful to have if I'm away and need to check the book.:o

Advertisement