Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eternity ring / push presents

Options
  • 15-06-2017 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

This may be a controversial one...but what do ye think about push presents or eternity rings? Are you expecting one, or did you recieve one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

a push present, this must be a new thing is it.. Never heard of it.. Eterntiy rings yep have been around for ages and I be thinking the same as anything else your either like or dont like

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Instead of a 'push present' ( hate that phrase) of jewellery or something I'd suggest spending your cash on getting a cleaner lined up to come to your house regularly in the first few months.Mundane and all though it is, it would be an amazing thing to get.
    I thought eternity rings were for after you had all your kids.I find this confusing!do you go get an eternity ring for each birth?That would be a pricey pastime!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

shesty wrote: »
    Instead of a 'push present' ( hate that phrase) of jewellery or something I'd suggest spending your cash on getting a cleaner lined up to come to your house regularly in the first few months.Mundane and all though it is, it would be an amazing thing to get.
    I thought eternity rings were for after you had all your kids.I find this confusing!do you go get an eternity ring for each birth?That would be a pricey pastime!

I know some people who have gotten eternity rings for first anniversary presents, and others after first child. It's just one ring, not one for each child I think!
    I've had two kids, and not a "push present" to be seen! It's not a new thing though milly, I remember hearing the phrase when I had my first, and he'll be 6 this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭BOB2017

Is it kind of an American thing? I doubt himself has heard of it and even if he had I wouldn't be expecting anything.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My husband's very traditional and always said an eternity ring would be for either the first anniversary or the birth of the first child. Since in our case the two fell within weeks of each other, it seemed like a good time to do it :pac:

I'm expecting baby #2 now, but I'm not expecting to be given anything shiny when he or she is born. If the hubby really wants to give me a gift, he can do the night feeds! I used to work with a group of girls who were very much in to 'push presents' - one of them had gotten her eternity ring after the first baby arrived, and when she was pregnant with the second, she spent ages browsing through the (very expensive) jeweler next door to our office, picking out what the husband was going to get her when the baby was born.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I got a ring when our lo was born. It's my 'eternity' ring, but not a traditional eternity ring, and I don't wear it on my marriage finger. There was a few reasons I got it. Mainly because I was looking for this type of ring for ages and ages and just happened to see the right one a few weeks before bubs was born, so it seemed appropriate, although I didn't know I was getting it. Also at the time we weren't married/engaged and had no intentions of getting married either, so it was kind of symbolic in that regard as well.

We've since got engaged and my 'engagement' is not a traditional engagement ring, but an eternity ring!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Never heard of push present and the name makes me cringe. Whether my husband gets me something or not is up to him. I have no expectations of anything. I am due at Christmas so it would be an easy double up present alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Neither! I didn't want an eternity ring so my partner took that on board. I'm actually not a fan of that style of ring tbh.

I never heard of push present til recently and think it's an American -ised idea like this idea of a baby shower - which I'm also allergic to!

So, yeah, I'm a bit bah humbug at the unnecessary - Ness of these "gifts". I like somebody's idea of the cleaner tho!!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

A push present? That just sounds awful, I'd cringe if I heard anyone talking about that or asking for one!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I think a nice present to mark the birth of the 1st child is a lovely idea.
    I got himself a really nice watch that he wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

So push present is patting yourself on the back for giving birth. Everyone moron can do that. It's not surprising that there are a lot less presents for bringing up well adjusted and happy individuals.

I also had to google what eternity ring is. So safe to say I didn't get and more importantly want anything.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I only heard about the existence of these things a few months back when someone mentioned it to me. I asked my wife what she thought and she said it would never have really occurred to her at all, so that's all good by me.

We just moved into a new house, and with baby #1 due in 5 weeks, I think that's present enough for both of us for a while ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

5starpool wrote: »
    I only heard about the existence of these things a few months back when someone mentioned it to me. I asked my wife what she thought and she said it would never have really occurred to her at all, so that's all good by me.

We just moved into a new house, and with baby #1 due in 5 weeks, I think that's present enough for both of us for a while ;)

Apparently my OH got the "you have to get her an eternity ring" from his dad and brothers but I had told him not to get me one as it's an unnecessary expense and he listened. Which was great.

I also told him I didn't want an engagement ring but he ignored me on that one. You can't win em all I guess! ;-)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

73trix wrote: »
    Apparently my OH got the "you have to get her an eternity ring" from his dad and brothers but I had told him not to get me one as it's an unnecessary expense and he listened. Which was great.

I also told him I didn't want an engagement ring but he ignored me on that one. You can't win em all I guess! ;-)

I wasn't getting out of the engagement ring one unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

Toots wrote:
    My husband's very traditional and always said an eternity ring would be for either the first anniversary or the birth of the first child. Since in our case the two fell within weeks of each other, it seemed like a good time to do it

It's a 'tradition' created in the 1960s by De Beers to sell more diamonds, as well as the engagement ring.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

TPF2012 wrote: »
    It's a 'tradition' created in the 1960s by De Beers to sell more diamonds, as well as the engagement ring.

Does that matter? Surely the sentiment behind giving it to someone is what's important?

Toots wrote:
    Does that matter? Surely the sentiment behind giving it to someone is what's important?

A simple gift with meaning and thought would be the greater sentiment rather then paying over the odds for a diamond ring.

TPF2012 wrote: »
    A simple gift with meaning and thought would be the greater sentiment rather then paying over the odds for a diamond ring.

That's a bit of an assumption. Personally my eternity ring wasn't expensive, and it wasn't diamonds either. My husband bought a ring with our child's birthstone instead. Even if someone does pay over the odds for a diamond ring, who are you to say there was no thought put into it?

Toots wrote:
    That's a bit of an assumption. Personally my eternity ring wasn't expensive, and it wasn't diamonds either. My husband bought a ring with our child's birthstone instead. Even if someone does pay over the odds for a diamond ring, who are you to say there was no thought put into it?

OK. I'm just ranting at how a clever marketing campaign by a company can create a tradition that ensures that their product has a market. I don't disagree with push presents or anniversary gifts per se but I'm irritated how Western society fell for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

TPF2012 wrote:

Can a simple gift with meaning and thought not be a ring? Eternity rings do not need to cost the earth. Eternity rings do not have to be a traditional eternity ring.

At the end of the day, some people like the sentiment of an eternity ring, others don't. And no one is wrong or right regardless of what side of the fence you are on. It's not fair to be so dismissive towards someone just because they like the idea of an eternity ring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I got a ring after the birth of our first child. Not a diamond one (as I don't really care for diamonds, my engagement ring isn't a diamond either) but a stone I like. Not all of us think we should get something based on a marketing campaign from the 1960s. My husband wanted to get me something, I love jewellery, we could afford it and it was something we chose together. The things people get cynical about never ceases to amaze me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

No 'push presents' thank God in my time. After 10 years of marriage, I (designed and) was given a beautiful ring with our four birthstones in it. My mother got an eternity ring for her 40th wedding anniversary and was thrilled!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

LOL didn't push once during two births so I wouldn't call my ring a push present!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

lazygal wrote: »
    LOL didn't push once during two births so I wouldn't call my ring a push present!

Ha! No pushing for me either, but my husband did get me a lovely silver bracelet with the twin's names and date of birth engraved on the inside. Maybe not the traditional gift but I love it.

A more appropriate title might be a hemhorroid compensation token :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,521 ✭✭✭✭ted1

My wife was expecting one, but she got a house instead.

I had to explain that the money I as going to spend on one would come out of house fund. We bought just before baby was born.

Well a house is a pretty decent present! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

I think like most things if there's an issue its generally with people's expectations. Where I live at the moment push presents are definitely a thing. To the point I've been asked a few times what mine was... to which I reply 'my son'. I've known one guy that bought one for his wife and was so proud and possibly delirious he gave it to her when she was in labour... everyone else I know chose their own... just not my thing but hey if they both agree why not. Here in general women work until their due date and go back to work at 45 days pp. A present that says thanks you are pretty amazing doing all that considering what you & your body have just been through on top of leaving your tiny new born is pretty minimal by comparison. In any case, its a gift and should be given freely and not on demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I have seen this mentioned on some of the more american sites and everytime I see it, i just cringe.. what a horrible phrase Push Present.. If my hubbie was like saying that to me Id actually be quite offended..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

I'm beginning to feel a bit hard done by here :(

5 babies, and I never received a push present!

I've never had a dishwasher either...not that that is relevant to the post in any way, just thought I'd moan about it while I was on a role ;)

Advertisement