Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free parking closest to Herbert Park / Donnybrook / Ballsbridge?

Options
  • 15-06-2017 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭

Is there any free parking near Herbert Park? We would like to go there for a picnic and to feed the ducks, but would rather not be worrying about a parking meter! I expect the surrounding area to be paid parking, although I could be mistaken?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Last week I parked on the road that splits Herbert Park. Depending on what time you want to go at. It was free after two pm according to the parking signs. I only paid up till two but was there till half three with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

depends on what day. alternatively download the Parking Tag app which means you don't need change and will txt you when you've 15mins left before your time is up

very little free parking around there though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Pay By text and you get a reminder 10 minutes before the time runs out and you can top-up.

Another alternative is park in the RDS - the Merrion Road carpark is open all year and is €6 per day. Short walk to Herbert Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

depends on what day. alternatively download the Parking Tag app which means you don't need change and will txt you when you've 15mins left before your time is up

The parking tag smartphone app will not send you a reminder before your time is up, either by SMS or a notification on the phone. The only way to get a reminder is to pay by SMS message, this costs your normal txt msg charge and there is a charge of 20c for the reminder.

So it's not surprising that the app won't give you a reminder - why give you something for nothing?

dusf wrote: »
    Is there any free parking near Herbert Park? We would like to go there for a picnic and to feed the ducks, but would rather not be worrying about a parking meter! I expect the surrounding area to be paid parking, although I could be mistaken?

As an absolute minimum, all of that area (D2 and D4) is pay and display Monday to Friday during business hours, including all of the back lanes, even the ones off quiet streets like Raglan Road. If there are any free spots, you can be sure that local office workers will have found them and they will be occupied all day Mon-Fri.

Herbert Park is zone red which costs €2.40 per hour. Check the local signs for the hours and days that require pay & display.

A lot of the streets in Sandymount are in the orange zone which costs €1 per hour. If you want to park in the orange zone close to Herbert Park, that would mean either Tritonville Road or Sandymount Ave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

coylemj wrote: »
    The parking tag smartphone app will not send you a reminder before your time is up, either by SMS or a notification on the phone. The only way to get a reminder is to pay by SMS message, this costs your normal txt msg charge and there is a charge of 20c for the reminder.

So it's not surprising that the app won't give you a reminder - why give you something for nothing?
    I've definitely got a reminder from the app in the past. Can't recall if it was a text message or a notification, but it was a reminder.

I've definitely got a reminder from the app in the past. Can't recall if it was a text message or a notification, but it was a reminder.

I have been using parkingtag since it was a barcode on the windscreen and have been using the smartphone app since it became available. The app has never offered the option of either a notification or an SMS reminder that your time is about to expire.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

I have been using parkingtag since it was a barcode on the windscreen and have been using the smartphone app since it became available. The app has never offered the option of either a notification or an SMS reminder that your time is about to expire.

If you log into the website, you can change your notification preferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

you can't configure it in the app but you can configure it on the web page to send the SMS reminder

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I just did a test 10-minute paid parking. Here's the text message reminder I got one minute from the end.

• Advertisement

frash wrote: »
    you can't configure it in the app but you can configure it on the web page to send the SMS reminder
    markpb wrote: »
    If you log into the website, you can change your notification preferences.

Thanks guys, can see it under 'view mobile phones' in my personal profile. You can set it separately for each registered mobile phone and the option I have selected is 'Ask each time' which causes it to appear as an option on the smartphone app.

Why that option is not the default is beyond me.

I just did a test 10-minute paid parking. Here's the text message reminder I got one minute from the end.

Yes, you are correct. Check out the previous few posts, they have hidden it as an option on the website, you have to go in and set it if you don't want the default option which is permanently off. The other options are 'on' (i.e. always send an SMS reminder) or 'ask every time'. The latter option causes it to appear as an option (OFF or ON) on the app where you can select it each time you park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

There is free Parking in Herbert Park after 14:00 weekdays.

Advertisement