Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading help

Options
  • 15-06-2017 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Iv'e got a intel i7 3770. Msi z77a g43 socket 1155. Silver power 850w psu and evga gtx 1070.

Thinking about upgrading my cpu. Any reccomendations and other parts needed to work with this upgrade ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The only CPU you can upgrade to on that motherboard is the i7-3770K

If you really want to upgrade, I'd go GPU first, maybe faster RAM, then CPU+motherboard overhaul.

Also 250Gb+ SSD for Windows if you haven't already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Zaireli

I was thinking about overhauling the cpu and motherboard. Recently baught the gpu and thinking i will stick with it for as long as possible. Got a Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 120GB and 16 gig ram

Your RAM is DDR3 though, and unless you go to LGA 1150 (4790K - not worth it) you'd need to buy new DDR4 RAM as well.

Are you actually struggling in games?
    Tried overclocking the GTX 1070?

I do feel the gup is struggling and going lower than it actually should. Its not much but im a guy that wants smooth gameplay. And no i have not tried overclocking. Dont know how to and kinda scared trying it after some of the stuff iv'e read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

I presume you've lowered the graphical settings to see if it improves things? :pac:

• Advertisement

Yes :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

I run a GTX 1070 with an i5-7500 here and it blasts through everything i throw at it. Not sure how yours would be struggling.

Yeah, my rig (in sig) nearly identical to your setup for performance, and I run all my games no problem (e.g. Overwatch on custom Medium-High settings at 120fps locked).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Zaireli wrote: »
    Iv'e got a intel i7 3770. Msi z77a g43 socket 1155. Silver power 850w psu and evga gtx 1070.

Thinking about upgrading my cpu. Any reccomendations and other parts needed to work with this upgrade ?

No point in an upgrade IMHO. CPU and GPU are pretty well matched.

Do a fresh install of windows, make sure you're on an SSD and clear all the dust out of the chassis.

Check you've not got something silly going on with PCIe lane settings.

Can you post a 3D Mark benchmark?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I overclocked my 1070 recently - it's a piece of p!ss. It's a Zotac card so I used Zotac's own software (Firestorm) but I think MSI Afterburner is meant to be better. It's only a matter of moving sliders left and right until you get a good balance (and possible changing when and how the fan kicks in).

I'm not sure the card is where your problem lies though.

OCing Pascal (1070 et al) - just increase the power limit to max and set the temp where you're comfortable* and leave the card to do the rest. It's not really overclocking these days it's GPU boost which is a feature of the cards. As it's an EVGA card use EVGA's software IMHO - it does the job adequately.

*Press the little chain button to break the link between power-limit and temperature.

I'm willing to offer odds on the fact that this turns out to be an airflow/temps/fan not spinning issue with that set up. a 3770 and 1070 is a darn good rig for 1080p gaming.

Alright thank you all for the answers i'll look into the system and checking out the different boost/overclocking and see how it turns out.

One more thing :) my computer, everytime (mostly everytime) i shut it off it bluscreens. Never on startup og mid session. Anyone know of this ? I read it might be something with the harddrive or the OS maybe even the ram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Unless you're running at 4K or looking for 120fps there is not way that rig could be struggling. You mentioned wanting 'smooth gameplay' but an i7-3770 and a GTX1070 would be hitting 70-90fps in pretty much any recent AAA game at 1080p/1440p ultra. There is zilch to be gained from a new CPU unless you're looking to hit closer to 144fps.

What's the issue in your mind?

Thanks for the reply. Iv'e been fidling around with the computer for a while now and noticed a few problems causing it to not run smoothly as i said. For one was a wallpaper program that i still disabled but kept running way way in the background. There were also a few other useless programs that caused the fps jumping alot. After these were disabled i got a steady fps counter. Iv'e always closed these programs and their prosessess and thought it was all good but they kept re -appering after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

You could download ccleaner and use it to turn off a lot of the useless stuff that runs in the background. It's​ ideal for finding the random bits of bloatware that build up on a computer over time.

I reinstall windows around once every six months or so - it's amazing the difference it makes. It's worth getting used to the process (and therefore how you store your data). It's easier than ever in Windows 10 tbh.

I reinstall windows around once every six months or so - it's amazing the difference it makes. It's worth getting used to the process (and therefore how you store your data). It's easier than ever in Windows 10 tbh.

I've been on the same install since I built this machine early last year.

The trick is to know what crapware to avoid ;)

Advertisement