Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First planted tank

Options
  • 15-06-2017 12:21pm

As the title say I'm going to start getting a few bits together for my first planted tank.
    Going to try go second hand all the way.
    I have a long 1.2m 250lt tank.

I suppose my 2 biggest questions are what substright to use and what sort of lamp is recommended ?

I'm picturing a carpeted rocky setup.maybe Monty carlo

I'm in no rush at all to get this done so Im going to take my time and do it right from the start!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

As the title say I'm going to start getting a few bits together for my first planted tank.
    Going to try go second hand all the way.
    I have a long 1.2m 250lt tank.

I suppose my 2 biggest questions are what substright to use and what sort of lamp is recommended ?

I'm picturing a carpeted rocky setup.maybe Monty carlo

I'm in no rush at all to get this done so Im going to take my time and do it right from the start!

My personal preference is using an ADA aquasoil substrate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I've found root tabs work great and can save you getting an expensive substrate. The Dennerle power tabs are what I use myself.

Lights wise I use these:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B017CONG0W/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=34BSAGSN0H2AX&coliid=IOLYNM40VCZHW&th=1

Cheap and cheerful. If you're looking to carpet a tall tank you might need 2 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'd probably go with sand and tabs myself in future. Spent ages setting up a tank with soil substrate and sand cap; now it's a sand substrate with a soil cap.
    Turns out plecos dig.

Advertisement