Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crowd funding options?

Options
  • 15-06-2017 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭

A family member is looking at doing a crowd funding campaign to expand her business.
    There will be rewards etc per pledge level.

Has anyone done a comparison for the various sites recently? The provider she's looking at now is charing 5% commission plus 3% bank fees.

This seems pretty high to me - would it be standard enough?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

There was a thread on this recently which might be a good starting point for you!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103285883

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

long_b wrote: »
    A family member is looking at doing a crowd funding campaign to expand her business.
    There will be rewards etc per pledge level.

Has anyone done a comparison for the various sites recently? The provider she's looking at now is charing 5% commission plus 3% bank fees.

This seems pretty high to me - would it be standard enough?

Thanks in advance!

What type of crowd funding is being considered?

Generally it's one of; pre-selling, crowd-lending or crowd-investing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭long_b

Graham wrote: »
    What type of crowd funding is being considered?

Generally it's one of; pre-selling, crowd-lending or crowd-investing.

It's pre selling thanks.

Read the other thread - some good tips but I was hoping for more hard figures I guess?

It's pre selling thanks.

Read the other thread - some good tips but I was hoping for more hard figures I guess?

Cheapest way to do it is on your own website using your own payment processor.

Naturally that means you loose a large chunk of the audience that the likes of Kickstarter/Indigogo have. That audience is arguably one of the things you're paying for, although I'm dubious as to it's value.

The self-run crowdfunding campaign could also struggle to find merchant services to accept payments. Pre-charging for products/services that may not be delivered for months leaves them susceptible to chargebacks for non-delivery etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭long_b

Graham wrote: »
    Cheapest way to do it is on your own website using your own payment processor.

Naturally that means you loose a large chunk of the audience that the likes of Kickstarter/Indigogo have. That audience is arguably one of the things you're paying for, although I'm dubious as to it's value.

The self-run crowdfunding campaign could also struggle to find merchant services to accept payments. Pre-charging for products/services that may not be delivered for months leaves them susceptible to chargebacks for non-delivery etc.

Thanks for this.
    Pretty much sold on using a third party for this, just wondering if the 5% + 3% is competitive?

• Advertisement

Thanks for this.
    Pretty much sold on using a third party for this, just wondering if the 5% + 3% is competitive?

'Competitive' is rather relative. For this type of fund-raising there's little in the way of competition.

I'm assuming you've already checked the charges from the 2 main providers (Kickstarter/Indiegogo).

If you're confident you can raise more (enough) with a DIY approach for less money then there's your answer.

Does the business already have a large number of customers or a significant social-media presence? Without either/both, it's likely to be an academic question anyway as crowd-funding is unlikely to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Yeah, people underestimate how complex crowd funding can be.
    Both IGG and KS take 5% commission plus 3% payment fees (and 20c per pledge on KS or 30c per pledge IGG). Then you need to consider flexible vs fixed funding. Without a known entity (either customers, mailing list or social presence) plus a good advertising budget, it'll be difficult for a creator to get noticed. On the other hand, if you do have a great premise, you need to consider what you'll do if you massively overfund. Success also depends on the industry - Music, Film, Food etc.

Advertisement