Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loada Pollocks In Clogherhead

Options
  • 15-06-2017 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

I was hoping to get out to CLogherhead on Sunday for a while. I heard that the mackerel arent in yet but whats the crack on bass or pollock?
    Whats the best rigs to use etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Was there.... water is full off algae bloom... no fish around....few days a go it was different story....got plenty fishes only pollocks.

Regular feathers works perfect....but slow retrieve... red colour worked for me.... for pollock

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

Might give it a lash on sunday anyway, might have cleared a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I use savage gear sandeels for them. Leave it sink a bit, depending on how deep the water is, and retrieve as slowly as you can.

Pollock are seriously underated as far as I am concerned. I have had a good few 5lb plus fish this summer already with the above method. They put up a serious battle.

Whats the etiquette for releasing and catching re size etc??

Geezer1000 wrote: »
    Whats the etiquette for releasing and catching re size etc??

If they are for the table then the bigger the better. That sounds obvious I know but smaller Pollock tend to be very boney. I would normally keep two max and they would be in the 4-5lbs range. Then you can fillet them into large boneless portions.

• Advertisement

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

SeaFields wrote: »
    I use savage gear sandeels for them. Leave it sink a bit, depending on how deep the water is, and retrieve as slowly as you can.

Pollock are seriously underated as far as I am concerned. I have had a good few 5lb plus fish this summer already with the above method. They put up a serious battle.

Getting back into fishing after a long layoff and had a look at these sandeel lures.

I am a bit confused as to how they assemble? Is there a separate weighted head bit which you attach the other bit to.

are they suitable for shore casting without a weight??

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Getting back into fishing after a long layoff and had a look at these sandeel lures.

I am a bit confused as to how they assemble? Is there a separate weighted head bit which you attach the other bit to.

are they suitable for shore casting without a weight??

Yes the bodies are interchangeable. I use blue ones mainly for Pollock and I believe White is favoured for bass. There is no extra weight is needed as the weight is in the head. I think (without checking) the ones I have are mainly 25g - plenty of weight in that for a lure rod

Advertisement