Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Confederations Cup 2017 - Starts Saturday 17th June

• 15-06-2017 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

The 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup will be the 10th FIFA Confederations Cup. It will be held in Russia, from 17 June to 2 July 2017, as a prelude to the 2018 FIFA World Cup.

RTE will televise all fixtures.

17 June Russia v New Zealand 4.00pm

18 June Portugal v Mexico 4.00pm
    18 June Cameroon v Chile 7.00pm

19 June Australia v Germany 4.00pm

21 June Russia v Portugal 4.00pm
    21 June Mexico v New Zealand 7.00pm

22 June Cameroon v Australia 4.00pm
    22 June Germany v Chile 7.00pm

24 June Mexico v Russia 4.00pm
    24 June New Zealand v Portugal 7.00pm

25 June Germany v Cameroon 4.00pm
    25 June Chile v Australia 7.00pm

Semi-finals
    28 June Winner Group A v Runner-Up Group B 7.00pm
    29 June Winner Group B v Runner-Up Group A 7.00pm

Third place play-off
    2 July Live from Moscow 3.00pm

Final
    2 July Live from St. Petersburg 7.00pm.

generic.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

I'd say Cameroon, in particular, can't wait to get started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

It cannot be worse than the shítshow that was Euro2016 (Ireland games to one side, they were fun)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

gimmick wrote: »
    It cannot be worse than the shítshow that was Euro2016 (Ireland games to one side, they were fun)

I thought that was better than many of the tournaments of recent years.

Confederations cup is little more than a series of organised friendlies. Can't see me taking much interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

gimmick wrote: »

I really enjoyed it. Although I was in France so that was a major contributing factor.

I have enjoyed all the European Championships, World Cups and Confederations Cups since I started watching football in 2008.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Pretty poor fair, I'd watch Germany - Chile in the group stage, then their semi vs Portugal and the final vs Portugal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

German have sent a crackpot mash up squad without any of their youth or big names.

Can't see Portugal not winning this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

greendom wrote: »

Confederations cup is little more than a series of organised friendlies. Can't see me taking much interest.
    I really enjoyed it. Although I was in France so that was a major contributing factor.

I have enjoyed all the European Championships, World Cups and Confederations Cups since I started watching football in 2008.

Thought it was a terrible tournament. Even worse than WC 2010. Too many bad teams. If Ireland were not involved I would have switched off after the first week. Definitely the worst euros I can remember and my first euro memory is 1988.

No coincidence that this goes hand in hand with the 24 team expansion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

pjohnson wrote: »
    German have sent a crackpot mash up squad without any of their youth or big names.

Can't see Portugal not winning this.
    Still a good and expensive squad they have sent. But yeah, all the big names got a rest ahead of next summers busy schedule, and quite a few of the younger ones were sent with the Under 21 to the European Championship. On top of that 2 or 3 recently pulled out due to injuries.

And while they don't really take any interest in the Confed Cup (German FA wants it abolished) I am sure they will be there when the final is played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,631 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I thought France 16 was pretty good, especially compared to Poland 12 .
    It's a Aries of friendly' s so I won't read too much into results, best just hope for 1 or 2 decent games .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Any venue list for this nonsense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Bateman wrote: »
    Any venue list for this nonsense?
    Moscow, Sochi, Kazan and St. Petersburg

Gives the Russian hooligans a chance to warm up for next summers main event :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Remember this?

Seeing a heap of amateurs up against Spain in a "major" tournament was a bit surreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

This is about to start on RTE2 (Russia v NZ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Two rubbish teams, Portugal and Mexico should get out of this group

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Best thing about that game was the nap I had during it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ronaldo starts for Portugal. Chicharito starts for Mexico.
    Portugal XI: Patricio; Cedric, Fonte, Pepe, Guerreiro; Moutinho, Carvalho, Gomes; Quaresma, Ronaldo, Nani.

Mexico XI: Ochoa; Moreno, Salcedo, Reyes; Vela, Dos Santos, Guardado, Herrera, Layun; Jimenez, Hernandez.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

greendom wrote: »

it was good for the group games, but the knockout games were dreadful with the likes of Northern Ireland and Wales standing out as especially dreadful.

Playing for penalties is a huge problem in all knockouts. Netherlands and Costa Rica in 2014 another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Be nice if they showed us the fecking replay tbh wouldn't it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭caviardreams

This is a pretty decent match. Two lovely goals so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Gomes looks handy

What a miss!

decent game aside from the VAR nonsense again. Kerr describing the problems with it well, goal should've stood as a second phase.

How far do they want to go back on the VAR bit of a nonsense going that far back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Big thing for the Video Assistant is that it's missing a mic'd up ref/assistant

Definite drop in the second half until the last ten minutes.

An utterly stupid delay in the restart after the Portugal goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

That was actually a good game. Entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Enjoyable match. Not the Portugal approach we saw last Summer thankfully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Good finish here.

Ochoa makes a good save from Silva. Minutes later, around the 85th, Portugal go 2-1 up with a deflected strike.

In the second minute of added time, Mexico equalise again from a corner. I felt the keeper could have done better. He was glued to the spot.

And now it's over. Gelson Martins looks like quite the player, too.

• Advertisement

Agree - definitely worth a watch. Props to the Mexicans for not letting their heads drop after Portugal went 2-1 up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Decent enough game...equaliser really spared Hernandez's blushes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Team news:
    Chile XI: Herrera; Isla, Jara, Medel, Beausejour; Fuenzalida, Vidal, Diaz, Aranguiz; Vargas, Puch

Cameroon XI:Ondoa; Mabouka, Teikeu, Ngadeu-Ngadjui, Fai; Anguissa, Siani, Djoum; Moukanjo, Aboubakar, Bassogog

I'm keen to see how Moukandjo and Aboubakar do for Cameroon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Country or Club there's no team I prefer watching over Chile. They play the most easy of the eye brand of football out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Chile using this competition to blood a lot of raw exciting new talent, always good to see.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Country or Club there's no team I prefer watching over Chile. They play the most easy of the eye brand of football out there.

Great singers too! :D

• Advertisement

Chile using this competition to blood a lot of raw exciting new talent, always good to see.

What are you talking about:confused:

Rekop dog wrote: »
    What are you talking about:confused:
    The Chilean side.

Some of them weren't even born when Armstrong walked on the moon!!

Cameroon on the rack already by the looks of it.

The Chilean side.

Some of them weren't even born when Armstrong walked on the moon!!

It's a ridiculously experienced team they've fielded:confused:

Can't help think Senegal or Egypt would be much better all round representatives than a fairly dour Cameroon..

You'd fear a collapse if they go behind as they don't offer much going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

This VAR stuff needs a lot of work.

It's far from ready for the WC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

FFS, it is goals like that being ruled out which will really take away from the game of soccer. It is very frustrating.

This video ref craic has ruined football for me, no more controversial decisions :(

FFS, it is goals like that being ruled out which will really take away from the game of soccer. It is very frustrating.

Shocking decision. Absolutely disgraceful. Officials should never get another game

Its weird to see a full celebration and then have it pulled back a minute later.

Really don't like it.

This video ref craic has ruined football for me, no more controversial decisions :(

Except for the ones made by the video ref.

Well that VAR is controversial as it is onside

"The sooner the better it gets brought in", "the technology is there", "other sports do it"

have always been the lines. It's not even unexpected or teething problems, phases of play and this sort of confusion is unavoidable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Its close but he's offside. His shoulder is ahead of the line. The camera angle is muddying things as it's not level with the play....it's at an angle....but if you draw a line where it should be, his shoulder and right knee are ahead of the deepest defender.

To be honest, I'd rather they let such tight decisions go but before people start to crucify the video ref, they got the right call. Hes offside. I've no Idea what the panel are on about.

dfx- wrote: »
    "The sooner the better it gets brought in", "the technology is there", "other sports do it"

have always been the lines. It's not even unexpected or teething problems, phases of play and this sort of confusion is unavoidable.

We are assuming that the person at the other end of it would be in someway competent though and not an imbecile who doesnt know the rules of football.

• Advertisement
Advertisement