Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Confederations Cup 2017 - Starts Saturday 17th June

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I normally like Hamann. One of my favourite Liverpool players and one I thought was a good thinker on the game. But he summed up a huge amount of what's wrong in the game. "There's nothing wrong with football, why are we making changes" . Life, the world and everything in it is an evolving system. Too many in football are like the ahmish, pick an arbitrary spot in history and decide that's where life is perfect and stop evolving.

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    Duff talking bollox, a clever yellow for the pull on the jersey, that should be a straight red, by pulling the jersey it sets off a chain of events that could have got a lot nastier........ Duff is a rubbish pundit, never agree with anything he has to say........

It's cheating, plain and simple.

Edit. The more I think of it , it's the perfect example of what a sin bin could be used for. I can't see big support for a red for it, but a yellow is basically a suspended sentence , a nothing punishment to a lifelong criminal. Being a man down for 10 mins (or the rest of the game as it's most likely to happen in the last few mins) is a more effective punishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

It's cheating, plain and simple.

Edit. The more I think of it , it's the perfect example of what a sin bin could be used for. I can't see big support for a red for it, but a yellow is basically a suspended sentence , a nothing punishment to a lifelong criminal. Being a man down for 10 mins (or the rest of the game as it's most likely to happen in the last few mins) is a more effective punishment.

Ahh sure players seem to get away with it just look at Herrera this past season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Duff is a dreadful pundit. Talks in football cliches and then talks nonsense.

I thought Thierry Henry was bad....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Charlie19 wrote: »
    The way things stand, this video ref thing should be done awawy with.

Let them get the hang of it at youth tournaments before practicing the exercise at senior level.

A lot of work to be done.

I think the Confederations Cup is the perfect spot to trial it. It's basically a dress rehearsal for the World Cup and uses half of their stadia. It's physically the same but not a quarter as prestigious. Why not see how it runs for the duration of it and make a call on it afterwards. I do think there's room for improvement though. The ref should be linked directly to the boys in the back and it should take no more than 30 seconds like in rugby. He shouldn't need to go looking at screens himself, that should be the decision of the official(s) in charge of the video.

• Advertisement

The problem seems to be the video ref hasn't a poxy clue what he's looking at or half the rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The problem seems to be the video ref hasn't a poxy clue what he's looking at or half the rules.

Seeing the actual ref have to run off and watch the bloody thing himself certainly confirms this.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Seeing the actual ref have to run off and watch the bloody thing himself certainly confirms this.

Once he calls for the video, it should be in the hands of the Video Ref and nobody else. It's like he's giving them control. There's 3 of them, they should be able to sort it between themselves. Ref coming off and having a look is not a good precedent. The video refs are isolated from the crowd, coaches and players and have a vacuum where they can deliberate and make their decisions in peace in a calm and non hostile environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Omackeral wrote: »
    Once he calls for the video, it should be in the hands of the Video Ref and nobody else. It's like he's giving them control. There's 3 of them, they should be able to sort it between themselves. Ref coming off and having a look is not a good precedent. The video refs are isolated from the crowd, coaches and players and have a vacuum where they can deliberate and make their decisions in peace in a calm and non hostile environment.

Yet the three of them clearly failed miserably. The player who actually started it all was the last of the three to get booked. What the heck kind of nonsense was the ref being told?

I think it's teething problems at the moment but it'll get smoothed out. They definitely need to sort out what it can and can't be used for and they need to clarify who is calling the shots and how they're doing it. It's one area rugby is very good I must say. Crowd and viewers should be kept in the loop too, the technology for it is there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

It may only be Australia but Cameroon are looking pretty decent, much better compared to the crap they produced in 2014. 1-0 up at half time and deservedly so. It's been a pretty decent game so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

African footballers are generally very "honest"! A bit too much for modern day fo0otball, sadly. Seem to generally not go to ground easily

Good game now. A bit end to end but Cameroon give away a silly penalty and the Aussies are back in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Cameroon number 3 has unbelievable touch.

Anguissa looked a pretty good player too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Chile take the lead against Germany, Mustafi absolutely terrible (twice)

Chile look possessed.

Germany are bobbins at the back! Not very German at all.

Stindl equalises from a good German move that beat the initial press.

HT 1-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Very entertaining so far - hope it keeps up for the 2nd half!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Sanchez looked well onside there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Not wanting to correct George Hamilton, but would have thought it was only pronounced "Chee-lay" in Spanish, and that it's still "Chilly" in English?

Not wanting to correct George Hamilton, but would have thought it was only pronounced "Chee-lay" in Spanish, and that it's still "Chilly" in English?

In Spanish language, it is pronounced Chee-leh,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I think that's just most people getting the pronunciation wrong. Unlike, for example, Mexico, which certainly does have a different pronunciation in Spanish and English, Chile should just always be Chi-lay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

If everything goes as predicted could be two good semi-finals.

The Germans were good last night. The two handy "unknowns" Sule and Rudy have both signed to Bayern already! On the official lists they are classified as 1899 Hoffenheim, but both will be in Munich after the tournament.
    Jogi has everyone tuned into the system and they looked OK against a pretty strong Chile side. There's only about 7 of the 23 would be guaranteed a spot in a World Cup squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Brave header from the Mexican for Mexico's 2nd goal but that's another howler from the Russian goalkeeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

What a miss. Just head it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

I think that's just most people getting the pronunciation wrong. Unlike, for example, Mexico, which certainly does have a different pronunciation in Spanish and English, Chile should just always be Chi-lay.
    https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/chile#Chile_Noun_300

Russia are out and it proves the drugs don't work! :p

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/24/russia-2014-world-cup-squad-fifa-doping-investigation
    Russia is at the centre of another doping scandal after it emerged the country’s entire 23-man squad from the 2014 World Cup is being investigated by Fifa over possible drugs offences. Russia is currently hosting the Confederations Cup and in under a year will stage the World Cup but these allegations are likely to throw its suitability to stage such events into serious doubt.

The 23-man squad, who were knocked out in the group stages of the Brazil World Cup three years ago, are among 34 Russian footballers being investigated by football’s world governing body. Five of the 23 players tested in 2014 are members of the squad that was knocked out of the Confederations Cup on Saturday.

• Advertisement

Aussies take the lead over Chile, they need a two goal victory, Germany being held and not looking too clever against Cameroon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Thank fck for the web broadcast.
    After 30 sluggish mins of the other match was good to switch over and see a game break out.

Video review mayhem strikes again!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

This is a shambles!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Its really really awful refereeing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Video review mayhem strikes again!!

The red is okay,
    But Christ the mistaken identity is horrendous

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Desperate. It wasn't even a red card foul.

Werner makes it 2-0

Great bit of improvisation by Vidal to regain possession in the lead up to Chile's equaliser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I'd say you can rule out the VAR being implemented in time for the World Cup now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Barring the first half v Chile, Cameroon have impressed in general. Some better decision making with the final ball would make a big difference. They were largely poor to watch in the AFCON they won.

• Advertisement

Is it me or is the score and time icons on top left pointlessly small. I don't have a huge screen but I have excellent eyesight but can barely even see the scores and the time is just a couple of white dots

Julian Brandt has been excellent, better finishing and this would be route

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Heya just wondering regarding qualification, if Russia had won the last euros and World Cup what would the story have been?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Heya just wondering regarding qualification, if Russia had won the last euros and World Cup what would the story have been?

Losing finalists prob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Losing finalists prob.

This as Italy qualified in 2013 due to being runners up at Euro 2012.

Drug scandal.

They go with the losing WC finalists usually. Then the losing Euro (or relevant continental) finalists.
    Also, you're not compelled to compete either.

In the 2003 Confed Cup in France there was a bit of mad situation. France qualified as hosts but were also Euro winners. Brazil were reigning WC Champions so got in that way. A place was initially offered to losing WC finalist Germany but they declined to take part. Italy, as losing finalist in Euro 2000 were invited but they too declined. FIFA then asked the second highest rated nation in their rankings Spain to come along. Another decline. Eventually the spot was given to Turkey who finished 3rd in WC 2002... and went on to finish 3rd in the Confed Cup too.

CSF wrote: »
    I'd say you can rule out the VAR being implemented in time for the World Cup now.

It's being used for too many scenarios IMO. Offside (or not as the case may be) goals would be enough for me. There's a natural pause in the game before a restart which would facilitate a review at that point.

Alt. Title:
    'Juan Carlos Osorio's response to Infantino when he saw the fixture list'

gnszrfR.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Goal fest here imo, Chile 4-2

• Advertisement
Advertisement