Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Confederations Cup 2017 - Starts Saturday 17th June

Comments

pjohnson wrote: »
    Rüdiger the absolute nonce. Hernandez touching his chest was enough to down him like he was shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

pjohnson wrote: »
    Rüdiger the absolute nonce. Hernandez touching his chest was enough to down him like he was shot.

Calling a footballer for a bit of play acting a child abuser cop on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

OK, so this will be my last post on this topic as well. You said you had a report that backed up your point. I really dont think its spoon feeding when you are asked to produce that report.

So i googled it.
    http://www.nature.com/news/2002/020520/full/news020520-10.html

One of the paragraphs.
    "Williams isn't the only scientist with advice to coaches seeking shoot-out glory. Englishman Tim McGarry of the University of New Brunswick, Canada, did a mathematical analysis of the order in which players should take the five kicks. His conclusion is to save the best for last so that, as each kick becomes more important, the most accomplished players step up to the spot2."

But if you have your weaker takers taking the early ones you might not get to the later penalties and still be in the shoot out.

This is the second time this happened with Ronaldo once was bad enough.All the analysis in the world that the better takers should take the later ones because there is more pressure involved doesn't change the fact that if you don't score the early penalties the late ones are irrelevant.

There is no way ion hell the coach should have allowed Ronaldo to take one of the later penalties he should be taking the first or second penalty every single time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Boom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Can is not a sub player. Takes far too long to get up to the pace of a game.

4-1

• Advertisement

But if you have your weaker takers taking the early ones you might not get to the later penalties and still be in the shoot out.

This is the second time this happened with Ronaldo once was bad enough.All the analysis in the world that the better takers should take the later ones because there is more pressure involved doesn't change the fact that if you don't score the early penalties the late ones are irrelevant.

There is no way ion hell the coach should have allowed Ronaldo to take one of the later penalties he should be taking the first or second penalty every single time.

Why, because you said it with no logical back up to your argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Oh FFS are we still on about the f*ckin shootout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

Can is not a sub player. Takes far too long to get up to the pace of a game.

4-1

If that's the case he shouldn't start for a team whos 2-0 up in 7 minutes either!

This team is incredible though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Good game, Mexico a bit unlucky not to have atleast another goal. Crazy how Germany can send a B squad essentially and get to the final they have frightening depth, looking forward to the final Sunday now.

irishman86 wrote: »
    Why, because you said it with no logical back up to your argument.

I did provide a logical backup to my argument.

If you don't score the early penalties the later ones may be irrelevant, which has happened twice with Ronaldo .You can't find a more logical reason than that for the best takers taking the early penalties.

• Advertisement

I did provide a logical backup to my argument.

If you don't score the early penalties the later ones may be irrelevant, which has happened twice with Ronaldo .You can't find a more logical reason than that for the best takers taking the early penalties.

How many penalty shoot outs have been lost by the last one missing, id say most. How many have been lost after the first missing Id say a whole lot less.
    Messi took a penalty against Chile and missed, hes the best player in the world yet they lost. Your point is incorrect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

How many penalty shoot outs have been lost by the last one missing, id say most. How many have been lost after the first missing Id say a whole lot less.
    Messi took a penalty against Chile and missed, hes the best player in the world yet they lost. Your point is incorrect

That's not his point. If Ronaldo is your best taker and he is no. 1. Then there is a 100% chance of your best player taking a peno. Having him at 5 is a lower chance as it may not get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Just look at what Mexico had to do to get the ball in the net, ter Steegen had a great game and has had a great tournament.

Fair play to Mexico, they kept plugging away even though Germany practically started the game 2-0 up.

The game was similar to the one against Cameroon, I thought. Germany soaked up a lot of pressure and created enough and took their chances when they came. They are a very clinical side.

And how many penalty shootouts have been won by a team who missed the first 3 penalties?

If you don't score the early ones you may not get a chance to take the later ones.Score the first one it gives the rest of the takers a bit more confidence.Miss the first one and your in trouble straight away.

Why is Ronaldo basicaly the only great player in the world who wants to do this and why after already losing out because of this policy did they decide to do the same thing again.

In the penalty shoot out they had in 2016 Ronaldo took the first penalty scored it and Portugal won the shootout.Looks like Ronaldo taking an early penalty might actually be beneficial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Why is Ronaldo basicaly the only great player in the world who wants to do this

Neymar did it last year in the Olympic Final in Rio. Can't help but think he too might have liked the glory that came with scoring the winning kick in his home nation.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    That's not his point. If Ronaldo is your best taker and he is no. 1. Then there is a 100% chance of your best player taking a peno. Having him at 5 is a lower chance as it may not get there.

But that point is ignoring how much more important the fifth is. Like I said surely the 3rd is the most important as its the first place you can go out.
    You arent going to lose a shoot out after one penalty, you will if you miss the fifth and 99% of the times most important

And how many penalty shootouts have been won by a team who missed the first 3 penalties?

If you don't score the early ones you may not get a chance to take the later ones.Score the first one it gives the rest of the takers a bit more confidence.Miss the first one and your in trouble straight away.

Why is Ronaldo basicaly the only great player in the world who wants to do this and why after already losing out because of this policy did they decide to do the same thing again.

In the penalty shoot out they had in 2016 Ronaldo took the first penalty scored it and Portugal won the shootout.Looks like Ronaldo taking an early penalty might actually be beneficial.

Should Ronaldo have taken the first three penalties then :rolleyes:
    Miss the last one and you are definitely in trouble
    Ronaldo clearly takes the penalty based on where he is asked to take it, as you said he took the first one in Portugal.
    Like I said its always Ronaldos/Messis fault even when nothing they did affected the situation

Omackeral wrote: »
    Neymar did it last year in the Olympic Final in Rio. Can't help but think he too might have liked the glory that came with scoring the winning kick in his home nation.

Or maybe the coach decided thats where he wanted his number one taker in the highest pressure situation. When in the end it will still come down to the other takers scoring theres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Ronaldo clearly takes the penalty based on where he is asked to take it, as you said he took the first one in Portugal.
    Like I said its always Ronaldos/Messis fault even when nothing they did affected the situation

This is where you are wrong.
    Ronaldo decided HIMSELF, or even as Nani said post match "demanded" to do so against Spain. Bento also said this before Ronaldo contradicted the both of them by laying part responsibility on the decision on Bento.
    Bento was on the sidelines in fact when they were putting the list together amongst them..
    Ronaldo in fact chose penalty kickers against Poland as Moutinho said after the Poland game.

I am pretty sure the same would have happened with a huge figure like Neymar at the Olympics.

Such players would sometimes decide themselves, whether for good or bad, which penalty order they would take so.

This is where you are wrong.
    Ronaldo decided HIMSELF, or even as Nani said post match "demanded" to do so against Spain. Bento also said this before Ronaldo contradicted the both of them by laying part responsibility on the decision on Bento.
    Bento was on the sidelines in fact when they were putting the list together amongst them..
    Ronaldo in fact chose penalty kickers against Poland as Moutinho said after the Poland game.

I am pretty sure the same would have happened with a huge figure like Neymar at the Olympics.

Such players would sometimes decide themselves, whether for good or bad, which penalty order they would take so.
    Ronaldo said the coach decided
    But like you said youself, players do decide where they feel comfortable

• Advertisement

He should have taken one of the first 3.There the penalties that are guaranteed to be taken, number 4 and 5 aren't.

If he is going to take one he might as well make sure that is 100% certain to be taking one.

Ronaldo and Messi get all the praise when things go right that's the way it is with great players there is more demanded of them than the average players on the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Ronaldo said the coach decided
    But like you said youself, players do decide where they feel comfortable

Here is what happened.

Bento said after the game he (Ronaldo) decided he wanted the 5th penalty. Nani said Ronaldo "demanded" the same penalty.
    Ronaldo then, after the criticism said it was a joint decision.
    Bento then backtracked on his earlier remark after Ronaldo's comments and also took joint responsibility .

All quotes. Read into it whatever you think. Maybe Nani and Bento were lying or confused with their comments, who knows. It sounds like Bento was protecting his player from the extreme criticism he was getting somewhat which is fair enough.

And a player like Ronaldo deserves support from his manager considering how important he is.

I don't believe for a minute Ronaldo wouldn't be allowed to take his penalty in his desired slot.

Just to clarify, I am not saying his decision to take the 5th penalty is born out of complete glory hunting,like many think, not at all, I am merely saying, and many agree, that is ill thought tactics considering the impact missing the first penalty can have.

Again I apologise for contributing to derailing the thread a bit! ! I am wrecking my own head, as well as others I imagine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Let's jus thope the third place playoff doesn't go to penos or we'll be having this discussion all over again on Sunday evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Let's jus thope the third place playoff doesn't go to penos or we'll be having this discussion all over again on Sunday evening.

We'll be having this discussion regardless of what happens Sunday I'd say.

He should have taken one of the first 3.There the penalties that are guaranteed to be taken, number 4 and 5 aren't.

If he is going to take one he might as well make sure that is 100% certain to be taking one.

Ronaldo and Messi get all the praise when things go right that's the way it is with great players there is more demanded of them than the average players on the team.

Ive said already I personally think the third is the most important
    Everyone has a argument for which they think it is. I think the first is the least important

Here is what happened.

Bento said after the game he (Ronaldo) decided he wanted the 5th penalty. Nani said Ronaldo "demanded" the same penalty.
    Ronaldo then, after the criticism said it was a joint decision.
    Bento then backtracked on his earlier remark after Ronaldo's comments and also took joint responsibility .

All quotes. Read into it whatever you think. Maybe Nani and Bento were lying or confused with their comments, who knows. It sounds like Bento was protecting his player from the extreme criticism he was getting somewhat which is fair enough.

And a player like Ronaldo deserves support from his manager considering how important he is.

I don't believe for a minute Ronaldo wouldn't be allowed to take his penalty in his desired slot.

Just to clarify, I am not saying his decision to take the 5th penalty is born out of complete glory hunting,like many think, not at all, I am merely saying, and many agree, that is ill thought tactics considering the impact missing the first penalty can have.

Again I apologise for contributing to derailing the thread a bit! ! I am wrecking my own head, as well as others I imagine!

Id say Bento and Nani spoke incorrectly which happens all the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭Frisian

klose wrote: »
    Good game, Mexico a bit unlucky not to have atleast another goal. Crazy how Germany can send a B squad essentially and get to the final they have frightening depth, looking forward to the final Sunday now.
    Mind you, of the 18 players that beat Ireland's U21 4:0 here in Sligo 2013
    7 are now in Jogi's squad. Manager Horst Hrubesch did some fine job in helping those talents to develope.

12 Marc-André ter Stegen (GK)
    2 Antonio Rüdiger
    5 Shkodran Mustafi
    8 Leon Goretzka
    9 Kevin Volland (C)
    10 Moritz Leitner
    13 Erik Durm
    15 Michael Vitzthum
    18 Nico Schulz
    19 Amin Younes
    21 Jonas Hofmann
    --
    1 Bernd Leno (GK)
    3 Marvin Plattenhardt
    7 Leonardo Bittencourt
    14 Danny da Costa
    16 Robin Knoche
    17 Philipp Hofmann
    22 Özkan Yıldırım
    ---
    U21 IRL-D 0:4

Chile starting brightly again, Medal is carrying a bit isn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭caviardreams

A Chile goal would set this up nicely imo

• Advertisement

Germany can't deal with Chile's press

Oh dear!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Chile can't deal with Germany's press. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Oh no, Germany gifted a goal there but Chile should have made their early pressure count

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Chile can't deal with Germany's press. :pac:

They need wing mirrors :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Only took ITV 46 mins to mention 1966 lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Scrappy second half Chile getting frustrated

Given the talent they have Chile sure make hard work of actually shooting on target.

Germany look likely to pick them off and win 2-0. Very efficient.

VAR hello?!

Nice Elbow ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Easy decision with the video there.

Red card surely

EDIT: How can you not give a red ????

Dirty fecker. Quite why the ref feels the need to have a look when there are three fellas upstairs being paid to have a look is beyond me - he has to trust them

Yellow card! Nuts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Another total fcuk up with VAR.

Video refs are rubbish in soccer so far, rugby you can at least hear them speaking. In soccer they stop the flow

Another total fcuk up with VAR.

That is not a VAR mess that is a ref mess should be a red card

VAR literally made it a simple decision for the ref and he completely bottled it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

How in the name of jesus did they deem that just a yellow? Might as well do away with the VAR's coz they are hopeless.

That wont help the fight for VAR anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

It looked like the ref might have had a decent view in real time,

Gets help from the video officials,

Goes and has a look himself,

and they still only decide on a yellow card for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

F*ck up on the refs end more so.

Could have had Vidal and Medel off a few minutes ago by the letter of the law.

Video refs are rubbish in soccer so far, rugby you can at least hear them speaking. In soccer they stop the flow

Rugby is mostly played in English speaking countries, would you have understood the ref if they were talking in Slovak?

Lackey wrote: »
    That wont help the fight for VAR anyway

VAR was good there. It was the ref that was bad

• Advertisement
Advertisement