Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Confederations Cup 2017 - Starts Saturday 17th June

1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Maybe it's time to bin referees on the pitch and officiate from the stands with monitors!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

callaway92 wrote: »
    VAR was good there. It was the ref that was bad

If refs aren't going to use it properly its pointless

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Rugby is mostly played in English speaking countries, would you have understood the ref if they were talking in Slovak?

I understand what your saying, more there is no idea into the thinking of the decision which at least the Rugby refs have. Are the four refs Slovak??

Chili piling on the pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Chile can't say they didn't have enough chances anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Germans need a change.

Can on to give them something in midfield.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

irishman86 wrote: »
    Video refs are rubbish in soccer so far, rugby you can at least hear them speaking. In soccer they stop the flow

what use would have hearing them speak there have been? It seems to come to a surprise to so many that it stops the flow...

And again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They can fcuk off if this is what VAR is.

what is this for?

Silly for Chili to call for VAR its breaking up their run

• Advertisement

Ive said it before, but for me the only way a tv ref works in soccer is with a challenge system. It ruins the flow of the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I understand what your saying, more there is no idea into the thinking of the decision which at least the Rugby refs have. Are the four refs Slovak??

my bad ref and linesmen are from from Serbia 4th official is from Slovenia, 3 video refs, one from France, Portugal and Slovenia.

Other than being high energy and not being a possession side, I don't get the hype around this Chile team.

They were frantic and out of control all game, they've been awful second half and Vidal spent most of the game appealing to the ref. They've lost their heads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Are all Chileans this angry?

Ive said it before, but for me the only way a tv ref works in soccer is with a challenge system. It ruins the flow of the game

Yes I'm not against the idea, there's plenty of evidence to show its needed, but this is ruining the flow of the game.

Chile remind me of Atletico...great bunch when things are going their way, cynical cheating whingers when it's not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭caviardreams

How have Chile not scored?? Just not clinical enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

There are probably some instances where you could let the video ref overrule the on field referee, where they have completely missed something blatant like an off the ball red card incident.

Having the on field ref running over to look at replays should never happen and it's almost like they want it to fail the way they're going about it. A challenge system might be the best way forward as it would force the ref to review situations, they don't seem to want to believe they're capable of getting something wrong here.

my bad ref and linesmen are from from Serbia 4th official is from Slovenia, 3 video refs, one from France, Portugal and Slovenia.

Im guessing there is a good chance they were speaking english. Like France have rugby refs and they speak english when they have to

Use the VAR to sent off at least 3 Chille players there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Turtyturd wrote:
    great bunch when things are going their way, cynical cheating whingers when it's not.

You could describe 99% of football teams that way.

• Advertisement

Sanchez Im so much better than ye face coming up and demanding a transfer to Argentina

the 'giving them a challenge' idea ends up with the Chile penalty claim thing. A nonsense delay for a nothing event, it doesn't speed up that either.

I wouldn't trust a single Chile player's decision making at this point. They'd be level if they just calmed down.

ERG89 wrote: »
    You could describe 99% of football teams that way.

If there was a fairplay league for international sides Chile would be near the top every year.

Ref will run out of players to give yellows to soon....may start carding the audience

Germany win 1-0

Just as an aside Julian Brandt has been criminally underused for my money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

so where was the extra 30 second for a sub during injury time?

Disrespectful of Germany to send that team...even more disrespectful of them to win it.

Im guessing there is a good chance they were speaking english. Like France have rugby refs and they speak english when they have to

Or being from Eastern Europe they may be able to communicate in either Serb or Slovenian, or there could be an interpreter we will not know unless it is confirmed.

Video refs are rubbish in soccer so far, rugby you can at least hear them speaking. In soccer they stop the flow
    I said it at the start of the tournament half joking but now I honestly think they're purposely making it completely ****.

dfx- wrote: »
    the 'giving them a challenge' idea ends up with the Chile penalty claim thing. A nonsense delay for a nothing event, it doesn't speed up that either.

I wouldn't trust a single Chile player's decision making at this point. They'd be level if they just calmed down.

If they had one/two challenges a game it would

• Advertisement

Or being from Eastern Europe they may be able to communicate in either Serb or Slovenian, or there could be an interpreter we will not know unless it is confirmed.

Thats a difficult way to communicate with the touch judge. Its more likely since English is the universal language its possibly a mandate to be capable of speaking it

Great to see the Real Ronaldo there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Agreed, I think that's one of the few ways it's workable. If teams only have 1 or 2 challenges they won't waste them on half-hearted penalty appeals or for a dive etc.

if they get them right, you could have constant interruptions.

You could also sacrifice them to break up a period of pressure, especially in injurytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Bit disrespectful of the world champions to send a weakened squad to this imo. Also points at a lack of hunger that may hinder them in next world cup.

Well. eh, yeah.......................! :D

Thats a difficult way to communicate with the touch judge. Its more likely since English is the universal language its possibly a mandate to be capable of speaking it

Football is more global than Rugby, do you really expect every ref to speak English just so viewers in the UK and Ireland can understand what the VAR is saying.

dfx- wrote: »
    if they get them right, you could have constant interruptions.

You could also sacrifice them to break up a period of pressure, especially in injurytime.

If they kept getting them right, there is no problem as well there right. Like it cant be for everything, they would have to select certain things. Penalty calls, when one of there players is carded, goals.
    For example the call with the ref yesterday with the card, you could see in normal time what happened but he went up stairs then still ****ed up. That cant be allowed to happen

Football is more global than Rugby, do you really expect every ref to speak English just so viewers in the UK and Ireland can understand what the VAR is saying.

No off course not, but why do the Argentine/French/Italian refs do so in rugby. English is the spoken language of the world, everywhere you go either first/second language is english, Im french were bordered by countless countries but the second language most of us speak is English (excluding the african emigrants for obvious reasons).
    Like I said regardless of the VAR, Id presume refs communicate in English with each other as a translator just wouldnt be practice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

All FIFA and UEFA refs do generally speak English, its a requirement to get the gig in the finals afaik.

But I'm still not gone on copying rugby and having the VAR discussion broadcast, it really seems just a sop to a complaining anglo TV audience. Quite what use it would be to a 50K crowd in a Chile v SKorea group match in Moscow is hard to see.

• Advertisement

All FIFA and UEFA refs do generally speak English, its a requirement to get the gig in the finals afaik.

But I'm still not gone on copying rugby and having the VAR discussion broadcast, it really seems just a sop to a complaining anglo TV audience. Quite what use it would be to a 50K crowd in a Chile v SKorea group match in Moscow is hard to see.
    It's about transparency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

The only reason VAR works so well in rugby is because the referee is respected on the field.

Until football treats the referee and officials with the respect they deserve then any VAR decision is going to cause uproar.

That's just my opinion on it from what I've briefly read online about the matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It's about transparency.

Its no less transparent than when the ref currently goes over to discuss an issue with the linesman, 4th official, or captains etc. We never hear an ongoing commentary in these situations and there hasn't been much demand for it that I'm aware of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The problem with this system is you have no idea what is going on between the ref and these video judges. You don't know if he's waiting for them to tell him, if he can hear them at all, if they are viewing the incident etc. All we see is the ref with his hand to his ear waiting on 'something'. It's clear there has been some sort of communication breakdown because the ref should never have to go over and view the incident if everything is working fine.

Advertisement