Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Lets see will the English media call their Golden boys Kane & Alli diving cheats like Johnny Foreigner or just clever boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Liverpool
    sligeach wrote: »
    The linesman has some answering to do. Didn't rule out the offside penalty, then gives an invisible sniper penalty for Lamela penalty.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

niallo27 wrote: »
    I think Salah must be the best player in the league by now. He has been incredible again today.

Can't think of anyone better myself.
    Come out of the fog with that rubbish. VVD is swinging his leg to clear the ball he doesn't know Lamela is going to jump in front of him the way he did. Absolute rubbish statement you just made.

VVD kicked him instead of the ball. You can't do that. It's a penalty every day of the week. Some of the Liverpool lads on the thread acknowledge that it was a penalty. The first penalty was a nonsense call alright.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

2nd was stonewall penalty lads. You can't kick someone on the back of the leg while trying to clear it.

https://gyazo.com/f0f62f672a6cd21867a3a91e95310d2d

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Everton
    Serious goal by Wanyama though after just coming on the pitch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

How someone can suggest that second spurs penalty wasn't a penalty is beyond me. It was arguably the most stonewall penalty this current season.
    Fair dues to the assistant referee for calling moss back on it.

Liverpool
    Has Redknapp the balls to ask Kane did he dive.

VVD doesn't even touch him from the angle they just showed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Come out of the fog with that rubbish. VVD is swinging his leg to clear the ball he doesn't know Lamela is going to jump in front of him the way he did. Absolute rubbish statement you just made.

That's on Van Djik.

If that was the case, if a player does a piece of trickery and goes down under an attempted challenge you'd have people saying "oh he didn't know he was going to dribble there, you can't give a penalty for that."

It was a penalty as he booted Lamela while attempting to clear the ball. The main issue was van Djik's (lack of) awareness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    Turtwig wrote: »
    How someone can suggest that second spurs penalty wasn't a penalty is beyond me. It was arguably the most stonewall penalty this current season.

Probably more liverpool fans on here than any club so there's always going to be a blinkered aspect to their decisions but some have fairly embarrassed themselves here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Turtwig wrote: »
    Agreed. And, apparently, the first call was correct. Lovren touched the ball, playing Kane onside.

• Advertisement

Liverpool
    Lol at Kane trying to say he tripped me and can't keep a straight face.

VVD doesn't touch him.
    https://twitter.com/davidmc1888/status/960218552426008576

blueser wrote: »
    Agreed. And, apparently, the first call was correct. Lovren touched the ball, playing Kane onside.

Regardless of he touched the ball, he was offside when the pass was made. That means it should have been ruled offside, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

VVD doesn't touch him.
    https://twitter.com/davidmc1888/status/960218552426008576

Cheers. Had not seen it.

Deserved penalty.

How can you say that seeing this clip? His foot clearly hits Lamela in the back of the leg, and bounces back. :confused:

Kiith wrote: »
    Regardless of he touched the ball, he was offside when the pass was made. That means it should have been ruled offside, right?
    True.

• Everton
    Love that 90th minute equaliser

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Yes it was offside. Even if it touched Lovren it won't count as the pass should be deliberate, not a deflected one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arsenal
    Looks like it was offside for the second pen. Oh well. It's been a while since Liverpool got a bit of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs

VVD doesn't touch him

Maybe sit the next few plays out there buddy

Looks like it was offside for the second pen. Oh well. It's been a while since Liverpool got a bit of luck.
    Eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Arsenal
    Eh?

He was offside from the flick on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool

Looks like just his arm was in an offside position and as you can’t score with your arm it’s onside..

Arsenal
    astradave wrote: »
    Looks like just his arm was in an offside position and as you can’t score with your arm it’s onside..

Perhaps impossible to call anyway so I wouldn't blame him. just frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Fantastic decision making from the officials, both correct decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

I don't think either were a peno... Offside and a dive the first one.. the optics look bad in second one but VVD is all eyes for the ball , starts to swing and the attacker jumps in front of him from behind and initiates the contact... It looks bad because there's contact but the attacker initiates.

Lovren was nearer to the goal than him. Not offside. I'll need to see it again on MOTD later on to be certain though.

Apparently the offside rule was changed last year to say that if an opposing player tried to play the ball, it won't be offside. So Kane wasn't offside? News to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

Esse85 wrote: »
    Fantastic decision making from the officials, both correct decisions.

Huh? The second penalty decision was absolutely terrible. It was a clear dive.

• Advertisement

Augme wrote: »

It really wasn't.

Arsenal
    Lovren was nearer to the goal than him. Not offside.

Well no he wasn't you obviously didn't see the line. It was marginal not a big deal

• Everton
    The face on Souness is priceless
    Delighted for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

It really wasn't.

This isn't a dive?

giphy.gif

Okay.... :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Apparently the offside rule was changed last year to say that if an opposing player tried to play the ball, it won't be offside. So Kane wasn't offside? News to me.

The linesman asked the ref if there was contact on the ball by a Liverpool player before it reached Kane. If not,he was offside,if so then he was onside and it was a penalty.
    Sky played back the conversation.

I didn't know that either. Apparently the touch from Lovren rules out the offside call. According to Dermot Gallagher anyway.

• Advertisement

Arsenal
    This isn't a dive?

giphy.gif

**** that view does look dodgy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

This isn't a dive?

giphy.gif

He kicks him, it's why vvd leg swings to the right suddenly

This isn't a dive?

No, it's not a dive. VVD clearly kicks the back of his leg with the toe of his boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Love that 90th minute equaliser

Meh id rather draw a game then loose with a gutless park the bus performance ;)

This isn't a dive?

giphy.gif

https://giant.gfycat.com/DimwittedImpressiveDunnart.webm

This isn't a dive. VVD clearly kicked Lamela.

• Advertisement

Arsenal
    No, it's not a dive. VVD clearly kicks the back of his leg with the toe of his boot.

The reaction is priceless though in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Everton
    Sky are doing a Kane 100 prem goal show.

Classy station honouring his great achievement today

Meh id rather draw a game then loose with a gutless park the bus performance ;)

:D 34% possession at home, whole second half was played in Liverpool half and you are moaning about parking the bus.

The reaction is priceless though in fairness.

Oh the reaction was typically over the top from Lamela (from what i remember, it's been ages since i've seen it).

Still a penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

VVD kicked him and didn't make any contact with the ball, therefore it's a peno. I can see why you'd have missed it tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    The linesman asked the ref if there was contact on the ball by a Liverpool player before it reached Kane. If not,he was offside,if so then he was onside and it was a penalty.
    Sky played back the conversation.

When Ali initially plays the pass Kane is offside. The ref should blow up then shouldn't he?

Draw was a fair result overall. Liverpool better in the first and Spurs better in the second. Salah and Wanyama with two super goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Van Dyke kick on Lamela

Lamela kicked in the back of the knee

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I wonder if it would have been better for Klopp to tell his players to focus/ organise his defense rather than run the touchline like a maniac at the 2-1 moment ? He does seem to have a tendancy to get caught up in it all rather than retain focus.

Was vaguely like Bilic v Turkey in Euro 2008 :D
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/euro_2008/7363499.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

This isn't a dive?

giphy.gif

As I said earlier, spurs player knew what he was doing and jumps into vvd.

• Everton
    jaykay74 wrote: »
    I wonder if it would have been better for Klopp to tell his players to focus/ organise his defense rather than run the touchline like a maniac at the 2-1 moment ? He does seem to have a tendancy to get caught up in it all rather than retain focus.

Was vaguely like Bilic v Turkey in Euro 2008 :D
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/euro_2008/7363499.stm

He struggles to adapt tactically mid game. This has been the case most of his career.
    Ultimately he didn't do anything when his team were getting hammered by Spurs in the second half.
    The equaliser was always coming.

• Advertisement
Advertisement