Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool
    The top class keepers just catch the cross though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Liverpool

If he tried to catch it and it dropped to a Spurs player he'd be slated for that too. Punching was the correct option if he wasn't confident of catching it. He got decent distance it just so happened that Wanyama hit a thunderbolt into the top corner from it.

I'd leave very little blame at Karius' door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    If he tried to catch it and it dropped to a Spurs player he'd be slated for that too. Punching was the correct option if he wasn't confident of catching it. He got decent distance it just so happened that Wanyama hit a thunderbolt into the top corner from it.

Yeah but.... just catch it! I find it ludicrous that people can just put a keeper into a category "he's not good at catching" and then absolve him of any blame when that was by far the most sensible option.

• Everton

Fair point also. But from looking at it the second time I agree with Emmett somewhat, I think Can was at fault more so than Karius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I don't think catching v punching is a matter of quality, it's a matter of training.

Most continental countries focus on getting the ball away. Try to catch the ball when its coming at you at pace or if you're under pressure, you increase your likelihood of dropping it, spilling it or slipping. Especially with the newer footballs which are lighter and move more in the air.

That is not to say that catching isn't the right option or wouldn't have been the right thing to do in this particular case, it's just not entirely accurate to say "He didn't catch it, therefore he is not good." He didn't catch it because he has spent ten years training in a system that taught him to punch first and rely on your defence to look after the second ball. Ultimately they didn't and the shot came back. I wouldn't be blaming Karius for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

Agreed, it was risky to catch the ball as he was rushing out and it was not even at comfortable height.

Thought his punching was weak and misdirected. Always think keepers like CBs shouldn't clear the ball towards the centre, better to clear them to flanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I had another look at it this morning and tbf you have a point

I actually thought Can was outside the box. Looking at it again he's just inside, but he should definitely put his foot on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Alli has had a sex tape leaked and Liverpool fans are being blamed for leaking it after yesterday's game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Alli has had a sex tape leaked and Liverpool fans are being blamed for leaking it after yesterday's game.

:):) what an awfully nice fella to happen to aswell. Probably fake anyway but you would wonder how a Liverpool fan or anyone for that matter got their hands on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Everton
    duffman13 wrote: »
    :):) what an awfully nice fella to happen to aswell. Probably fake anyway but you would wonder how a Liverpool fan or anyone for that matter got their hands on it

Catfished him with a baldcap and a poor Zidane accent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool

Who’s doing the blaming? Tbf How stupid do you have to be to know that it’s very very likely that it will be leaked..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Had an e/w bet on the lummox for top prem goalscorer this season. Looks like he's been focused on the wrong kind of scoring!:mad:

• Everton
    Deli Alli getting taped diving into young wans now too :P

Spurs
    Deli Alli getting taped diving into young wans now too :P

Oh dear. How dumb do you have to be to let someone record that.

• Everton
    Rekop dog wrote: »
    Oh dear. How dumb do you have to be to let someone record that.

Especially considering he's in the limelight already.
    It will end up being a big pay out to whoever leaks it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

duffman13 wrote: »

They'd steal anything those scousers. :):)

Spurs
    Goals Galore at Vicarage Road tonight. Watford have conceded 20 goals in their 5 games against the top four so far this year.

1-4 Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Goals Galore at Vicarage Road tonight. Watford have conceded 20 goals in their 5 games against the top four so far this year.

1-4 Chelsea

Certainly looking like it although Watford looking the most likely to score at the minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

That might be the worst performance I've ever seen in the Premier League.

It's up there anyway.

• Advertisement

• Everton
    SlickRic wrote: »

It's up there anyway.

What happened?

*Edit* only turned on the tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,082 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Liverpool
    What happened?

Bakayoko master class. Shouldn't have been a second yellow though.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Bit harsh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

SlickRic wrote: »

It's up there anyway.

A big claim that needs backing up, remembering there have been games between West Brom and Reading.

Rumored that Conte will be sacked if they lose this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Better not be true, they might go on a run, how is Bellwether Hazard playing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Liverpool
    Watford 1-0 up, Deeney penalty.

Guus Hiddink has one new email.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Man City
    Come on the Watford!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Very soft peno. But it's a pen now days.
    Unlike the commentator I don't feel it's a deserved lead as this game has been a total borefest.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Watford 1-0 up, Deeney penalty.

Guus Hiddink has one new email.

Sarri from Napoli is the man for them, super manager

Liverpool
    theballz wrote: »
    Sarri from Napoli is the man for them, super manager

Why would he leave Napoli for Chelsea though? He’s adored at the San Paolo, he surely wouldn’t throw that away for a job he’ll be sacked from within two seasons, no matter how well he does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

What happened?

Bakayoko is a pub player.

30 minutes of misplaced passes, fouls, and touches and general shítness.

Spurs
    Yeah couldn't see him leaving right now anyway. Simeone surely, he's the only real heavyweight left not managing in the premier league right now.

Liverpool
    Why would he leave Napoli for Chelsea though?

Money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Everton
    Chelsea look like they are going through the motions before a manager leaves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Better not be true, they might go on a run, how is Bellwether Hazard playing?

Largely anonymous, you could argue he's not trying but then Chelsea sit off so much that they all look that way. Watford thoroughly deserve that lead, they've dominated even before Bakayoko saved himself more embarrassment.

Why would he leave Napoli for Chelsea though? He’s adored at the San Paolo, he surely wouldn’t throw that away for a job he’ll be sacked from within two seasons, no matter how well he does.

Great opportunity for him, he’s been around for some time but never managed an “elite” team. More importantly money talks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

On a side note, what do people make of Rooney on Sky?
    Yeah couldn't see him leaving right now anyway. Simeone surely, he's the only real heavyweight left not managing in the premier league right now.

Simeone with that Chelsea squad and some investment, would be serious title contenders next season. Conte is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Everton
    That was a very harsh second yellow.

Berserker wrote: »
    Simeone with that Chelsea squad and some investment, would be serious title contenders next season. Conte is done.

Doubt he’ll leave Atletico mid season though

Spurs

Out of Champions league and title race. Nothing really keeping him there. Far more cause for Sarri to stay at Napoli who you suggested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

1-4 Chelsea

Be doing well now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

ERG89 wrote: »
    Very soft peno. But it's a pen now days.

I haven't seen this one, Co I can't comment directly, but if the game continues as it's going, it will be like fcxking netball in a few years.
    Offside will be done away with, and like if a player gets the ball in the box, the defence has to back away and let him have a free shot on goal, or else a penalty is awarded... You know, kinda like at Anfield yesterday (I'm only partly joking)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

No he won't. They'll find someone experienced to come in and cover for the rest of the season. Wouldn't surprise me if Conte went and Chelsea ended up lifting a trophy, FA Cup more than likely and getting top four. If he stays, they'll end up with neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Berserker wrote:

If Hazard & Courtois want out wouldn't that be an issue?
    I think they see what's going on & how aimless the club are in the transfer market after spending a nice bit between the last 2 windows. I doubt Conte wanted the likes of Drinkwater, Barkley & Giroud. Not exactly what he dreamt of after winning the league.
    Simeone hasnt exactly covered himself in glory this season either so I don't see the long term fix for Chelsea by just continuing the trend of sacking a manager & replacing him with another.

Out of Champions league and title race. Nothing really keeping him there. Far more cause for Sarri to stay at Napoli who you suggested.

They’ve had a decent season, blowing Real out of the water and not completely out of the title raise. He’s much more imbedded in that club then Sarri

Liverpool
    I wouldn’t be pointing the finger at Conte specifically for what’s going wrong. There’s a concrete recent history of second/third season implosions for Chelsea managers, more pronounced than at any other club. It must go higher than the manager, this sort of thing can’t be a coincidence.

Berserker wrote: »
    No he won't. They'll find someone experienced to come in and cover for the rest of the season. Wouldn't surprise me if Conte went and Chelsea ended up lifting a trophy, FA Cup more than likely and getting top four. If he stays, they'll end up with neither.

Completely agree that’s a more realistic outcome

Liverpool
    There will be at least one more sending off I predict.

Spurs
    They’ve had a decent season, blowing Real out of the water and not completely out of the title raise. He’s much more imbedded in that club then Sarri

He's too imbedded though, nearly done all he can with them and it would be a good time to leave, especially with Griezmann looking likely for a summer exit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    2 shots after 60 mins! Wtf

Advertisement