Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Man City
    We badly need a second to kill the gunners cl hopes off. Coys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arsenal
    davycc wrote: »
    Top banter mate

Banter what are you on about kid. They never kick on after a good season. Explain it to me so why they look like the best in the league when they have no hope of winning it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

niallo27 wrote: »
    davycc wrote: »
    Top banter mate

Banter what are you on about kid. They never kick on after a good season. Explain it to me so why they look like the best in the league when they have no hope of winning it.

You should be well able to answer that question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arsenal

I can't I don't watch spurs enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Everton
    Lacazette has been absolutely shocking since coming on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Lacazette has been absolutely shocking since coming on.

Hasn't lived up to his price tag at all.

Man City
    Come on you spurs
    Should have scored double figures

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everton
    Shocking how Kanes clear hands on the back wasnt noticed. Did the ref think he was levitating

niallo27 wrote: »

I can't I don't watch spurs enough.

But you must have seen similar unexplained phenomena at Liverpool in the last decade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Dembele has to be the best midfielder on form in the epl at the moment. Was easily the best player on the field today and in the recent game v Manchester United, and was good last week v Liverpool too, 3 games v top 6 teams that are not usually the environment that Spurs players excel in. He's superb tbh, and I really don't like Spurs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I am constantly amazed by the high regard Koscielny is held in by so many quarters.

To my mind he is more often than not a liability, and again today showed that he doesn't have the mean streak of a top-class centre half. Bullied in aeriel duels far too often.

Yet the fact he is rated as one of the top CB's in the league is proof if ever it's needed that the quality of defending has regressed at the same time as tactical innovation has advanced. It's no coincidence that his virtual ever presence has dove-tailed with Arsenal no longer being title contenders, and indeed struggling to even stay in the top 4.

Kosc is the embodiment of their struggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Liverpool
    Bad result for Liverpool and Chelsea,in there battle with Spurs for 3rd and 4th.

Everton
    irishman86 wrote: »
    Shocking how Kanes clear hands on the back wasnt noticed. Did the ref think he was levitating

Never a foul, good decision by the ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    Bret Hart wrote: »
    Bad result for Liverpool and Chelsea,in there battle with Spurs for 3rd and 4th.

How do you make that? The only team it's a bad result for is Arsenal as it puts them further back.

If Liverpool and Chelsea match Spurs results for the rest of the season Spurs still finish outside the top four.

Everton
    Never a foul, good decision by the ref.

Ah christ he had his hands on his shoulders, held the defender down
    If not for that he would have been on the ground by the time the ball arrived
    It was a clear foul

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Man City
    Dembele has to be the best midfielder on form in the epl at the moment. Was easily the best player on the field today and in the recent game v Manchester United, and was good last week v Liverpool too, 3 games v top 6 teams that are not usually the environment that Spurs players excel in. He's superb tbh, and I really don't like Spurs.

He’s my favourite player coz he’s just so good on the ball. You can’t shift him. Every spurs players says he’s the best player at the club. The problem is, he has no idea what to do when he gets to the edge of the box. If he did, he’d be at Madrid/Barcelona.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭bill66

It was a clear foul

No. no it wasn't. Check the result, it definitely counted.

Everton
    It was a clear foul

You're seriously clutching at straws there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

bill66 wrote: »

I didn't see the match but that's the weakest defence I've seen in a long time.

If you break a law , you're still breaking it even if you don't get caught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I am constantly amazed by the high regard Koscielny is held in by so many quarters.

To my mind he is more often than not a liability, and again today showed that he doesn't have the mean streak of a top-class centre half. Bullied in aeriel duels far too often.

Yet the fact he is rated as one of the top CB's in the league is proof if ever it's needed that the quality of defending has regressed at the same time as tactical innovation has advanced. It's no coincidence that his virtual ever presence has dove-tailed with Arsenal no longer being title contenders, and indeed struggling to even stay in the top 4.

Kosc is the embodiment of their struggles.

He's gone downhill big time this season, but he was a very good centre back. Prone to the odd error but I don't think you'll find a defender in the league who isn't, it just happens to the best far less often. If anything, it's no coincidence that Arsenal's slide down the table has coincided with his dip in form.

And as a life long Arsenal fan... that was never a foul for the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

He's gone downhill big time this season, but he was a very good centre back. Prone to the odd error but I don't think you'll find a defender in the league who isn't, it just happens to the best far less often. If anything, it's no coincidence that Arsenal's slide down the table has coincided with his dip in form.

And as a life long Arsenal fan... that was never a foul for the goal.

I don't think kochelny has ever been a too CB to be honest, always a bit of a 'fancy Dan' in my view, never has been consistent enough in the basics IMHO. He wouldn't be certain starter on any top team, hardly even this Liverpool side that could do with good centre backs. In fact, I've said in quite a while that none of the Arsenal defensive players (keeper, back 4,defensive midfielders) would walk on to any of the other top 6 teams, except perhaps an inform cech into the Liverpool side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    Swansea will be just fine.

Everton
    bill66 wrote: »

How stupid that argument is lets see
    Henry against Ireland sure was fine check the result

Everton
    You're seriously clutching at straws there.

Ya your right using a player to keep yourself in the air and him not able to compete. Your right no foul at all
    Christ what a clueless comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Everton
    Has something happened to skys coverage? City build up not on any of the stations for me

• Advertisement

Unearthly wrote: »
    Has something happened to skys coverage? City build up not on any of the stations for me

Yep, getting a promo for Sky sports instead of it.

Everton
    Ya your right using a player to keep yourself in the air and him not able to compete. Your right no foul at all
    Christ what a clueless comment

That isn't what happened though.

Unearthly wrote: »

Game is on now. Said they had technical issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Everton
    Berserker wrote: »
    Game is on now. Said they had technical issues.

Yeah seems like no studio pundits. Positive thing if it was meant to be Redknapp and co

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Awful defending and goalkeeping from Leicester there. Keeper could surely have claimed that before it went across to the back post. Just didn't move.

• Advertisement

Man City
    Wonder cross from kdb even sterling could not miss it 1 nil after two odd minutes, going to be a long day for lcfc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Liverpool
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Awful defending and goalkeeping from Leicester there. Keeper could surely have claimed that before it went across to the back post. Just didn't move.

Expected Aguero to make contact I'm sure so was ready to dive for that, once it drifted past he hadn't a hope. Soft goal all around though. KDB with another assist

Everton
    That isn't what happened though.

Thats exactly what happened
    Unless you thought he was levitating like the refs :pac:

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Expected Aguero to make contact I'm sure so was ready to dive for that, once it drifted past he hadn't a hope. Soft goal all around though. KDB with another assist

Was thinking more before it even got to Aguero, when it bounced right on the edge of the 6 yard box. I think another keeper would have taken command and moved towards the ball as soon as it was struck, for an easy catch.

Though to be fair, he may have just expected one of the 4 defenders in its path to do something other than stand still.

Spurs
    Leicesters stance on Mahrez of late has been ridiculous. Of course he's gonna want to better himself and move on. But even with his head turned he's far superior to anything they've got and leaving him out is just damaging themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Thats exactly what happened
    Unless you thought he was levitating like the refs :pac:

Is :pac: the new :rolleyes: ?

Bernardo Silva does not belong on the wing.

Man City
    Vardy leave it out

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Leicesters stance on Mahrez of late has been ridiculous. Of course he's gonna want to better himself and move on. But even with his head turned he's far superior to anything they've got and leaving him out is just damaging themselves.

I suspect it's also partial punishment, and a statement that you can't just skip training for a week and expect to waltz back into the first team when you feel like it, without any repercussions.

Spurs
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I suspect it's also partial punishment, and a statement that you can't just skip training for a week and expect to waltz back into the first team when you feel like it, without any repercussions.

But they're only punishing themselves. They were on a great run until they decided to drop him. He's bigger than the club.

• Advertisement

Liverpool
    But they're only punishing themselves. They were on a great run until they decided to drop him. He's bigger than the club.

That's the point. No player is bigger than a club.

I understand he wanted to leave, I believe he should be allowed to too, but you can't just not go to work. He has a contract. Fulfil that or face the consequences. Leicester are dead right, even if it costs points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Nothing to do with him deciding to take a week off for himself, no? He refused to travel to the Everton game also so made the decision for himself.

And he's not bigger than the club FFS.

Spurs
    He is. Without him they're bang average.

Fine him wages or whatever but don't cut off your nose to spite your face and leave your best player by a country mile out of the side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Terrible business having to hope city win :(

Liverpool

Fine him wages or whatever but don't cut off your nose to spite your face and leave your best player by a country mile out of the side.

That doesn't mean he's bigger than the club, only that they're worse without him. Again, no player is bigger than the club. Any player for any club.

Ah here you can't be genuine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Liverpool

There bang average anyway. No player is bigger than the club, absolutely none.

Spurs
    It's a nonsense cliche. Of course some players are bigger than certain clubs.

Liverpool
    It's a nonsense cliche. Of course some players are bigger than certain clubs.

Nope.

• Advertisement

It's a nonsense cliche. Of course some players THINK they are bigger than certain clubs.

FYP

Advertisement