Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    Rekop dog wrote: »
    It's a nonsense cliche. Of course some players are bigger than certain clubs.

If a player was bigger than the club and that player left then the club would close. I can't ever remember that happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

It's a nonsense cliche. Of course some players are bigger than certain clubs.

Lionel Messi is bigger than my work 7-a-side I guess. Riyad Mahrez is not bigger than Leicester ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    There's no situation where they're better without him hence he's bigger than them. Suarez was bigger than Liverpool. Ronaldo grew bigger than United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    There's no situation where they're better without him hence he's bigger than them. Suarez was bigger than Liverpool. Ronaldo grew bigger than United.

You are talking absolute nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

There bang average anyway. No player is bigger than the club, absolutely none.

brolin-2-752x501.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

So by that logic most 1st choice goalkeepers are bigger than their club. I mean theres rarely a situation where a club is better with their 2nd choice. Sound logic.

So whos bigger? Kasper or Mahrez?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    pjohnson wrote: »
    So by that logic most 1st choice goalkeepers are bigger than their club. I mean theres rarely a situation where a club is better with their 2nd choice. Sound logic.

No there's rare superstars at clubs whereby with them a team will flourish and without them they'll be significantly worse. For me that makes them bigger than the club. Fans hate that notion but it's the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

You're talking absolute tosh. There is no way either of those players are/were bigger than the clubs they represented.

When you're in a hole... stop digging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

No there's rare superstars at clubs whereby with them a team will flourish and without them they'll be significantly worse. For me that makes them bigger than the club. Fans hate that notion but it's the truth.

Makes them good footballers. Nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

3 goals, 3 assists from KDB, machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Man City
    Terrible business having to hope city win :(

I feel worse for having to cheering on Leicester today ! , I love pep and his efforts but it will be boring if city keep up this winning streak, they could have the league sewn up by end of March embarrassing for the also rans.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Schmeichel has had a day to forget to say the least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Man Utd
    jeez city 16 points clear . record is 95 points can see them overtaking that .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Liverpool
    FC Mahrez are taking one well of a beating here. Don’t know how they he will bounce back from this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Liverpool
    What a player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Liverpool
    Missed a few of the goals but that was a serious strike from Aguero. Unreal.

What a player

Mahrez I assume ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Just learned Pellegrino played for Liverpool, have no memory of that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Job done. Over to you Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Liverpool

So was Ronaldo bigger than Madrid once he signed for them from United? Considering they were performing worse than United in Europe for seasons after that and were even more reliant on him than United were? This is illogical and I believe you to be on a wind up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Just learned Pellegrino played for Liverpool, have no memory of that...

Only played half a season iirc in benitez first year

klose wrote: »

Was that was around the time of Josemi/Nunez/Morienties?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Watching MOTD, when did Knockaert go from being pronounced nockaert to k-nockeart?

Also , what's with players having a hissy fit when the club's designated taker goes to take a peno instead of them? Presumably everyone knows who the taker is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Liverpool
    Watching MOTD, when did Knockaert go from being pronounced nockaert to k-nockeart?

Also , what's with players having a hissy fit when the club's designated taker goes to take a peno instead of them? Presumably everyone knows who the taker is?

K-nockeart is the proper French pronounciation. Media were always getting it wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

klose wrote: »

Yeah, he didn't really come to be a regular player so much as to help bed in Rafa's defensive system since he knew it back top front from their time together at Valencia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Man City
    niallo27 wrote: »
    Spurs are a great team when they don't have the pressure of winning anything on them.

There's another team similar to that in the pl on the tip of my tongue but I just can't remember the name of them.

Just watching the repeat of MOTD. Not sure what Wenger and Monreal were whinging about with Kane's goal yesterday. Nothing wrong with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Liverpool
    pjohnson wrote: »
    Was that was around the time of Josemi/Nunez/Morienties?

2005. He played only 7 or 8 games I think. Rafa was his boss at Valencia before right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

blueser wrote: »
    Just watching the repeat of MOTD. Not sure what Wenger and Monreal were whinging about with Kane's goal yesterday. Nothing wrong with it.
    I'm an Arsenal fan and I didn't see anything wrong with it either.
    Wenger would be better off addressing our defensive woes. We have a very poor back four and other managers just have to tell their players to put in high crosses and they'll score. Our lads are useless in the air.
    Our defence needs major surgery and Wenger has ignored this for years.
    Spurs could have had 5 or 6 goals yesterday.

• Advertisement

• Everton
    RoboKlopp wrote: »
    The negative Mourinhio vibes being eroded from Mkhitaryan.

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Liverpool
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Aye, you're right, it'll be a long time before that damage is undone!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Big game for Huddersfield today & they need a win. 1-0 up now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Leicester
    blueser wrote: »

Arsene Wenger: "I have seen the replay, it is no foul, just good centre-forward play. We can only look at ourselves."

ERG89 wrote: »
    Big game for Huddersfield today & they need a win. 1-0 up now.

And now 1-1. An early goal can actually be a bad thing for a team in Huddersfield's position. As it was for Ireland in the second Denmark game IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

2-1 Town.

3-1! :eek: Listening to this and they seems to be playing a far more proactive game than has been the case recently.

• Advertisement

And now 1-1. An early goal can actually be a bad thing for a team in Huddersfield's position. .

i-stand-corrected.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

How are Newcastle still persisting with Jonjo Shelvey?

Gets the ball, makes a pass (often going for a flashy long-ranger that is inaccurate instead of the better simple option), takes about 18 minutes to sprint at full speed to catch up with play, and is virtually useless when the opposition have the ball. He has also shown himself up to be an unreliable coward when the chips are down. Exactly the type of player I wouldn't want in a relegation battle. £80,000 a week! :pac:

Whatever happened to Merino? He looked good at the start of the season, Newcastle even moved to make his loan permanent, but he was linked with a move away in January. :confused:

Dubravka has started very well in goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Ref not doing Newcastle any favours here. That should have been a pen and missed a clear corner just before it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Any other team made that foul Neville is calling that straight out a penalty and not taking his time and humming and hawing about it before saying maybe it's pen.

:D

• Advertisement

Smalling gets his just desserts for that dive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Straight from a Smalling dive. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Pogba looking world class again head and shoulders better than any midfielder in England.

Pogba looking world class again head and shoulders better than any midfielder in England.
    are-you-taking-the-piss.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Newcastle always have a couple of these type of results in them every season, which combined with them rarely getting hammered will keep them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Paully D wrote: »
    How are Newcastle still persisting with Jonjo Shelvey?

Gets the ball, makes a pass (often going for a flashy long-ranger that is inaccurate instead of the better simple option), takes about 18 minutes to sprint at full speed to catch up with play, and is virtually useless when the opposition have the ball. He has also shown himself up to be an unreliable coward when the chips are down. Exactly the type of player I wouldn't want in a relegation battle. £80,000 a week! :pac:

I have to say, I think he’s been excellent today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Atsu! on

Bless you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Liverpool
    Disgusting from Valencia, a nailed on red card and of course the ref bottles it.

Kick in the head is a red isn't it?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arsenal
    Could have been red he kicked him in the head.

• Advertisement
Advertisement