Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arsenal
    blueser wrote: »
    The scrap for 2nd-4th could turn out to be very interesting. Same with the dogfight to avoid the drop.

Big game next Sunday with Chelsea and utd. Big grudge game. Liverpool could well be 2nd before the game is played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Southampton are the worse team i've seen in the Premiership this season.
    No fight at all.
    Certs for the drop imo.

Yeah, i'd tend to agree. There's about ten teams realistically who could go down but unless Southampton change something drastically which is usually in the managerial department, then they're the one team out off all the relegation candidates right now who i confidentally predict will be relegated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Paully D wrote: »
    How are Newcastle still persisting with Jonjo Shelvey?

Gets the ball, makes a pass (often going for a flashy long-ranger that is inaccurate instead of the better simple option), takes about 18 minutes to sprint at full speed to catch up with play, and is virtually useless when the opposition have the ball. He has also shown himself up to be an unreliable coward when the chips are down. Exactly the type of player I wouldn't want in a relegation battle. £80,000 a week! :pac:

Whatever happened to Merino? He looked good at the start of the season, Newcastle even moved to make his loan permanent, but he was linked with a move away in January. :confused:

Dubravka has started very well in goal.

You misspelled Pogba there, and I'm pretty sure he's on more than 80k a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

niallo27 wrote: »
    Van Dijk clean sheet

Eventually. ;):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

niallo27 wrote: »
    Big game next Sunday with Chelsea and utd. Big grudge game. Liverpool could well be 2nd before the game is played.

2 weeks time, next week is FA Cup week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arsenal

Balls is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Rafa does Jose again... Mourinho is finished - a one trick pony ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Southampton will surely sack Pellegrino soon? Looks at the moment like they're going down. I quite like them so I hope they stay up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Arsenal
    Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Maybe not recently but he missed a lot of easy chances early on in season.

He could probably have 30 league goals had he taken some of them.

Between him & De Bruyne for player of season.

Ironic that Salah and De Bruyne were players frozen out by Mourinho at Chelsea for no apparent reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

You lot get that week off. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Ironic that Salah and De Bruyne were players frozen out by Mourinho at Chelsea for no apparent reason
    he's a questionable manger imo, cheque book genius crass human, can't deny his success but............
    sorry I should add to this, as as Liverpool fan jose has ended up in the perfect place for me, all my hate is focused but for all his faults Fergie was brilliant this guy meh.

Judging from MOTD2 that looked a high quality weekend of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    Rafa does Jose again... Mourinho is finished - a one trick pony ..

Honestly, have to ask, what is the point of a comment like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Honestly, have to ask, what is the point of a comment like this?

I would have thought it was self explanatory tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Stoke v Brighton dives everywhere, it's getting really bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

NDWC wrote: »
    Southampton will surely sack Pellegrino soon? Looks at the moment like they're going down. I quite like them so I hope they stay up.

There were plenty of rumours in January that he was about to be pushed but then they went off and signed Carrillo for a club record fee. Pellegrino had managed him in Argentina (Estudiantes I think) so would seem to be very distinctly backing him in that sense.

They've never held back previously when it came to being ruthless though. Adkins was doing a decent job when dropped for Pochettino, for example. And with Marco Silva knocking about, they have some decent options out there.

As it stands, this Southampton side are as bad as anyone in the league. Poor quality players, few ideas and no real fight.

They're paying the price for all their top players moving on constantly but if they did go down now, how many of their squad would be on the radar of any PL side? Ward-Prowse, Lemina, Romeu, Bertrand and Redmond? At a push. It's a far cry from them being the best side outside the top 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Man City
    I would have thought it was self explanatory tbh.

It’s a bit of a dumb comment though isn’t it? I can’t stand Mourinho. Found him funny at Chelsea but he’s now just a nasty individual in my book with no class.

That said, he’s won the Champions League with two heavy underdogs so he’s not just a chequebook manager. He’s also had a career of success managing superstars which is not as easy as some people seem to think.

Great manager, odious human being (if his public persona is an accurate reflection of his real personality).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool
    Top 4 odds are now Liverpool and utd 1/8 spurs 1/3 Chelsea evens. Fairly big changes in that race the last few weeks. Chelsea and utd looked nailed on for top 4 but spurs and Liverpool on much better runs of late. Chelsea have had an unbelievably kind fixture list that is about to turn after wba tonight. In the last 14 games the only top 6 team they have played is arsenal. Goals have dried up a bit for utd. 19 goals scored in the first 7 and only 32 in the last 20 games. Spurs I feel are the best of the rest most balanced team. Lots of big fixtures to come between those 4 teams.
    Utd Chelsea
    Chelsea spurs
    Utd Liverpool
    Chelsea Liverpool
    Chelsea utd and spurs all still to play city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Hugely impressive signing Mo Salah has become.

I said if his finishing improved when he signed he could be a massive player for Liverpool and credit where credit is due. He's done just that.

Sickener but what ya gonna do

Tbh I don't think I has improved massively. He's getting a lot of chances now.. He's missed a fair few you'd be expecting a player scoring that amount of goals to be putting away handily.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

DeanAustin wrote: »
    It’s a bit of a dumb comment though isn’t it? I can’t stand Mourinho. Found him funny at Chelsea but he’s now just a nasty individual in my book with no class.

That said, he’s won the Champions League with two heavy underdogs so he’s not just a chequebook manager. He’s also had a career of success managing superstars which is not as easy as some people seem to think.

Great manager, odious human being (if his public persona is an accurate reflection of his real personality).

I ment self explanatory in that it was posted with the sole intention of trying to wind up United fans.

Regardless of Joses character, only the most witless of individuals could say he is a one trick pony and actually believe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Everton
    101 goals in 139 games at 24 and not even in the top 35 best paid PL players!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Liam Brady had said Arsenal let Kane aged 8 go because he was a "bit chubby".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Maybe not recently but he missed a lot of easy chances early on in season.

He could probably have 30 league goals had he taken some of them.

Between him & De Bruyne for player of season.

I feel like salah will get the nod for player of the season because people remember goals and the likes. I'm not slagging off De Bruyne just think it will be that reason salah gets it.

Liverpool
    Salah has been unbelievable but kdb has been the best player in the league this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Liverpool
    With City winning the league at a canter, I think that will sway it to KDB winning PL POTY.

Salah is having a season like Suarez where he could well take the award home but Suarez and Pool that year were only 2 games away from winnign the title too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

City either have awful physios who cant judge an injury or miracle workers. Sane's "7 week" injury is cured in 2 weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Who's going down? It was hard to decide the cut off point so went with everyone below Arsenal! :p Last 5 matches points tally in bold

36 Burnley 2
    35 Leicester 5
    34 Everton 7
    31 Bournemouth 10
    30 Watford 5 West Ham 8
    28 Newcastle 6, Brighton 5
    27 Crystal Palace 5, Swansea 11 Huddersfield Town, 3
    26 Soton 6
    25 Stoke 5
    22 WBA 4 (play tonight)

Clearly on position and form WBA (as of teatime), Stoke, Soton, Hud Town, Palace, Brighton and Newcastle are the most likely. Burnley's drop is such (also bottom of the last 10 game form) they could yet end up in the mix!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Urindanger

pjohnson wrote: »
    City either have awful physios who cant judge an injury or miracle workers. Sane's "7 week" injury is cured in 2 weeks!

Sudocrem and flat 7 up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

pjohnson wrote: »

tenor.gif?itemid=5837971

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Everton
    I feel like salah will get the nod for player of the season because people remember goals and the likes. I'm not slagging off De Bruyne just think it will be that reason salah gets it.

3 strikers have won it in the last 8 seasons. And de Bruyne will make that 3 in 9 for sure

• Advertisement

KDB will 100% get Player of the Season. I'm not quite sure what the debate is about.

monkey9 wrote: »
    KDB will 100% get Player of the Season. I'm not quite sure what the debate is about.

Yep, he should win it pretty easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Arsenal
    Sturridge broken after a minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Sturridge off injured for West Brom after 2 minutes :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Liverpool
    Jaysus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Man City
    Feel sorry for Daniel hamstring by the sounds of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Not a peno how �� ? Yellow card too minimum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Man City
    Fabregas lucky the ref bottled it blatant peno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Ref also missing similarly worse challenge from Dawson wow

Huge, huge chance blown by Rodriguez.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Baggies bossing it so far. But they should be down to 10 men. Horrific challenge by Dawson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    Another match going with a series of officiating mistakes.. becoming a joke at this stage

Liverpool
    Moses hitting the first man every time. Azpilicuata is far better at crossing

Liverpool
    KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Moses hitting the first man every time. Azpilicuata is far better at crossing

Azpilicuata far better at everything you mean

Liverpool
    astradave wrote: »
    Azpilicuata far better at everything you mean

Well... yeah! Crossing in particular in this match though! So poor.

Liverpool
    Chelsea have been poor apart from the goal, West Brom seem to have more fight about them

West Brom look to be as good as gone now.

7 points off safety with 11 games to go.

Liverpool

They really needed to get a win from that.. they played well though, probably should have been in front first off but lacked the mental aspect to get back into the game once Chelsea scored.

It always amazes me how Pardew keeps getting Premier League jobs. No doubt he'll be taking West Brom down as expected.

• Advertisement

Liverpool

Huddersfield watford Leicester Bournemouth Burnley swansea the next 6. If they get 4 wins there they have a chance.If they don't beat Huddersfield at home up next I reckon they are gone.

Advertisement