Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Looks more and more likely that either Chelsea or Arsenal will have Luis Enrique as their manager next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Looks more and more likely that either Chelsea or Arsenal will have Luis Enrique as their manager next season.

I'm not really sure how good Enrique is as a manager tbh. I wouldn't be getting too excited about that appointment if i was a fan of those clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

monkey9 wrote: »
    I'm not really sure how good Enrique is as a manager tbh. I wouldn't be getting too excited about that appointment if i was a fan of those clubs.

At this stage how can he be any worse than Wenger is??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

ERG89 wrote: »
    At this stage how can he be any worse than Wenger is??

Ah but that's a different arguement. No doubt Wenger has to go for Arsenal to progress, but once that decision is made and the look out for a new manager commences, Enrique is not someone i rate that highly. Just my opinion, of course. He could turn out to be major success if appointed, but i wouldn't bet on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

and the money keeps rolling in - - transfers and wages will keep on the up with no sign of a blip :-

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43002985

it would be nice if all clubs froze or even reduced ticket prices for game days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Liverpool
    thebaz wrote: »
    and the money keeps rolling in - - transfers and wages will keep on the up with no sign of a blip :-

Best you can really hope for is frozen ticket prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

It's disgusting that players are getting close to half a mill per week, and ticket prices go up. I get that clubs will price them high, due to demand. But there should be some reward for loyal fans. Season tickets should be harder to sell per game, but cheaper to buy. Tickets to games should be much harder to tout, tie them to credit cards and ID, which would be harder to police, but something needs to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    It's disgusting that players are getting close to half a mill per week, and ticket prices go up. I get that clubs will price them high, due to demand. But there should be some reward for loyal fans. Season tickets should be harder to sell per game, but cheaper to buy. Tickets to games should be much harder to tout, tie them to credit cards and ID, which would be harder to police, but something needs to be done.

There are very very few getting close to 500k a week.

• Everton
    TitianGerm wrote: »

350K is the highest reported in England I would have thought, not sure where the extra 150k comes from

Only Messi / Ronaldo would be on 500k I suspect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    350K is the highest reported in England I would have thought, not sure where the extra 150k comes form

You fool Alexis is surely on 500k by now with inflation :P

• Advertisement

• Everton
    pjohnson wrote: »
    You fool Alexis is surely on 500k by now with inflation :P

I'm going to start calling it the 'Alternate Wages Table'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    350K is the highest reported in England, not sure where the extra 150k comes form

You forgot Sanchez. He gets 1 billion a week, to sleep with Jose missus, and gets to punch kids in the face whenever he likes.

TitianGerm wrote: »

Ok even if we say 350k a week, really the point stands. Sh!t players are getting close to 100k a week. It's completely normal for a top player to get close to 200k. Transfers are going through the roof. Yet still the fans suffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Have you read the article? The price Sky will pay will drop from £10.8M per game to £9.3M and two packages were unsold, possibly because the reserve price was not reached. That's a 14% drop in revenue via Sky / BT although that might be softened with overseas rights. I thought the last table was really revealing. The NFL receives £3.2Bn per annum for TV rights, the PL with a potential home audience about 20% of the NFL receives £1.7Bn.

My interpretation of the renewal is that Sky / BT might be calling the shots next time with lower bids. Any club whose financial model includes the assumption that TV revenue will only increase exponentially will be in serious bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Deise Vu wrote: »
    Have you read the article? The price Sky will pay will drop from £10.8M per game to £9.3M and two packages were unsold, possibly because the reserve price was not reached. That's a 14% drop in revenue via Sky / BT although that might be softened with overseas rights. I thought the last table was really revealing. The NFL receives £3.2Bn per annum for TV rights, the PL with a potential home audience about 20% of the NFL receives £1.7Bn.

My interpretation of the renewal is that Sky / BT might be calling the shots next time with lower bids. Any club whose financial model includes the assumption that TV revenue will only increase exponentially will be in serious bother.

There is still two more packages to bid for and with those it will take it over the £5.1b paid for the last set of rights.

So will go up and make more money for the PL.

Deise Vu wrote: »

The other 2 packages will be sold yet.

I don't think any club were banking on exponential growth continuing. Besides, there's plenty of notice so it's not like an overnight crippling of a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Per game price will fall, but they are selling 200 games for the next package as opposed to 168. So revenue should still increase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

The other 2 packages that are being sold all the games are going to be on that the same time.
    They won't get as much for them as you can't watch them all.

It will less than last time even with more games up for grabs.

Good news for us.

Sky outbid BT for their pack but weren't allowed have it as they'd have too many games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Lucas Hood wrote: »
    The other 2 packages that are being sold all the games are going to be on that the same time.
    They won't get as much for them as you can't watch them all.

It will less than last time even with more games up for grabs.

Good news for us.

Sky outbid BT for their pack but weren't allowed have it as they'd have too many games.

Unless Amazon buy one and Facebook buy the other then you have four subs to buy.

Fiancial times had a good article on it last night.

https://www.ft.com/content/30b67970-10e9-11e8-940e-08320fc2a277

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Arsenal
    Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Fiancial times had a good article on it last night.

https://www.ft.com/content/30b67970-10e9-11e8-940e-08320fc2a277

Behind a paywall it be.

Liamalone wrote: »
    Behind a paywall it be.

Someone copied it to Reddit if you wanna have a look.

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/7xdeea/premier_league_takes_a_hit_as_football_tv_rights/du7e2v1

yawn another FA Cup weekend - ever since United dropped out in 2000 , interest has dropped, despite all the romatic hype of the BBC -

They should just sideline it to a mid-week cup.

Growing up FA Cup final was massive , as big as winning the league , today I put as much relevance on it as League cup or whatever its called now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

ever since United dropped out in 2000 , interest has dropped
    You overestimate United's importance there. The real reason is money, as it's the Premier league, and even Championship, where all the financial rewards are to be made.

Its alos probably because football is so easily available now to watch not like it used to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Liverpool
    yawn another FA Cup weekend - ever since United dropped out in 2000 , interest has dropped, despite all the romatic hype of the BBC -

They should just sideline it to a mid-week cup.

Growing up FA Cup final was massive , as big as winning the league , today I put as much relevance on it as League cup or whatever its called now.

its still big for fans who can't dream of winning anything else

fans of the bigger clubs have never experienced this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    You overestimate United's importance there. The real reason is money, as it's the Premier league, and even Championship, where all the financial rewards are to be made.

I'm not sure he is tbh. That was the real turning point for me in the FA Cup. I remember 90's finals clearer than I do 00's ones. When the best team in the country decides they can't be bothered with it the credibility of the competition takes a real hit. Ferguson's legacy is pretty great put that is one real dark point for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Rekop dog wrote: »
    I'm not sure he is tbh. That was the real turning point for me in the FA Cup. I remember 90's finals clearer than I do 00's ones. When the best team in the country decides they can't be bothered with it the credibility of the competition takes a real hit. Ferguson's legacy is pretty great put that is one real dark point for me.

Nothing about the FA wanting Utd to go to Brazil to secure some WC votes, no?

Edit: it was a turning point alright, blame is misdirected though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

FA Cup has been rubbish since 2006.

As the Graun noted today only one club literally has nothing else to think about - Leicester City and I bet they put out an A- or B+ side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

FA Cup has been rubbish since 2006.

Is that because it's the last year your lot won it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Glad i'm not the only one who thinks these cups are over-rated.
    Give me a good league match any day with two fairly even teams battling it out for 3 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is that because it's the last year your lot won it?

The most recent proper blockbuster match for me Clive, there have been a few good ones since esp Arsenal 3–2 Hull City and Arsenal 2–1 Chelsea was enjoyable.

Spurs
    Mushy wrote: »
    Nothing about the FA wanting Utd to go to Brazil to secure some WC votes, no?

Smoke and mirrors. They could have made up for the fixtures but didn't want it to effect their league or CL hopes. That's what it ultimately came down to. They'd the biggest squad at the time, could have handled it easily. It didn't have to be an either/or situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Could be (a lot) worse. Could be a ****ing international friendly break

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

The most recent proper blockbuster match for me Clive, there have been a few good ones since esp Arsenal 3–2 Hull City and Arsenal 2–1 Chelsea was enjoyable.

Portsmouth winning the cup? Wigan beating City in the last minute? I don't see where the magic has gone, still there as far as I can tell.

Smoke and mirrors. They could have made up for the fixtures but didn't want it to effect their league or CL hopes. That's what it ultimately came down to. They'd the biggest squad at the time, could have handled it easily. It didn't have to be an either/or situation.

Doesn't that go back to money being the issue then?

Spurs
    Mushy wrote: »
    Doesn't that go back to money being the issue then?

It comes back to individuals making a bad decision that had a fairly damaging effect on the credibility of a previously great and hugely traditional English competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The first thing that sprang to my mind was that James McClean was surely involved

Apparently it's Myhill, Livermore, Barry & Evans.

It comes back to individuals making a bad decision that had a fairly damaging effect on the credibility of a previously great and hugely traditional English competition.

And those individuals would also have been the FA. Given the opportunity anyone would have done it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Horrendously ignorant and I'll informed comment tbh. Typical of the way that the media works, McLean constantly portrayed as soon sort of loon. imagine the column inches it would have got if it was McLean involved, and not good solid pros like Evans/Barry etc.....

Portsmouth winning the cup? Wigan beating City in the last minute? I don't see where the magic has gone, still there as far as I can tell.

Sorry but was nothing comparable to Wimbledon doing so in '88 - no weakened teams back then or half empty stadiums - maybe not all United fault , but it showed where ther priorities lay ; the rise of the Champions league , has left the FA Cup a casualty (sadly)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Not too clever of Jonny Evans in Barcelona,would say Man City and Arsenal (who were both still meant to be interested in signing him on the Summer) will say they don’t need a lad like that at the club.

are Evans and Barry not a bit old and rich for Joy-riding ?

Horrendously ignorant and I'll informed comment tbh. Typical of the way that the media works, McLean constantly portrayed as soon sort of loon. imagine the column inches it would have got if it was McLean involved, and not good solid pros like Evans/Barry etc.....

McLean is actually a pioneer, has never touched a drop of drink believe it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

McLean is actually McClean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,529 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

its a stupid thing to do, no doubt, but never would have thought barry and evans would have been involved, wtf

McLean is actually a pioneer, has never touched a drop of drink believe it or not.

always admired McClean - even more admiration for him now - surprised a bigger club hasn't come in for him

retalivity wrote: »
    its a stupid thing to do, no doubt, but never would have thought barry and evans would have been involved, wtf

36 year old men - millionaires no less - robbing cars - we've all done stupid things but that really is pathetic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everton
    always admired McClean - even more admiration for him now - surprised a bigger club hasn't come in for him

Really :confused:
    Hes a very very limited player

• Advertisement
Advertisement