Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Liverpool
    irishman86 wrote: »
    Really :confused:
    Hes a very very limited player

He's better than the championship which is where WBA are heading by the looks of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everton
    KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    He's better than the championship which is where WBA are heading by the looks of it.

Is he though? Like really, i dont think he is, hes a hard working player with a turn of pace
    But lets be real hes getting limited game time (Last time i checked) at one of the worst sides in the league
    I personally hope if they go down he gets his dream of playing for Celtic, he would be a good squad option for the last 15 mins in the CL and a good starter for there domestic campaign
    But realistically he's not even a top 10 player in the championship maybe not top 20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    I think a few valiant displays in green have given people in this country the impression he's better than he is. Club form has ranged from mediocre to poor for a long time now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Is he though? Like really, i dont think he is, hes a hard working player with a turn of pace
    But lets be real hes getting limited game time (Last time i checked) at one of the worst sides in the league
    I personally hope if they go down he gets his dream of playing for Celtic, he would be a good squad option for the last 15 mins in the CL and a good starter for there domestic campaign
    But realistically he's not even a top 10 player in the championship maybe not top 20

He's not. Let's be honest, he can't get in a really poor WBA team and the odd time he does get game time he doesn't do enough to keep himself in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

thebaz wrote: »
    always admired McClean - even more admiration for him now - surprised a bigger club hasn't come in for him
    Seriously? Like who? He's a world away from the sort of standard any of the top 6 would be interested in. Which would leave, possibly, Everton. Would they be interested in him? After that, most of the remaining clubs wouldn't be bigger than the Baggies.

Everton
    Rekop dog wrote: »
    I think a few valiant displays in green have given people in this country the impression he's better than he is. Club form has ranged from mediocre to poor for a long time now.
    fullstop wrote: »
    He's not. Let's be honest, he can't get in a really poor WBA team and the odd time he does get game time he doesn't do enough to keep himself in the team.
    blueser wrote: »
    Seriously? Like who? He's a world away from the sort of standard any of the top 6 would be interested in. Which would leave, possibly, Everton. Would they be interested in him? After that, most of the remaining clubs wouldn't be bigger than the Baggies.

I think Rekop dog hit the nail on the head with this one
    blueser said Everton but even they are a stretch, i think Celtic is as big as he can ever hope. I dont see a premier league coming after him if WBA go down

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool
    McLean will end up at Burnley I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

A limited championship level journey man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

rob316 wrote:
    A limited Premier league level journey man.
    I just fixed that for you. I'm not a fan of his but he has close to 150 Premier league appearances and only played two seasons in the Championship.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    I just fixed that for you. I'm not a fan of his but he has close to 150 Premier league appearances and only played two seasons in the Championship.
    Playing in the PL is not necessarily an indicator of quality. I can name you any amount of jokers we've had at City down the years who played at the top level, who were pure pony.

Everton
    McLean will end up at Burnley I reckon.

Based on what exactly
    I would be very suprised to see a premier league team sign him

Liverpool
    Based on what exactly
    I would be very suprised to see a premier league team sign him

The fact that they were linked with him in January. That he would be a typical dyche player. That they still struggle to attract players of a better level to move there.

Everton
    The fact that they were linked with him in January. That he would be a typical dyche player. That they still struggle to attract players of a better level to move there.

Was he linked there :confused:
    They already have attracted players a good few levels above McClean though
    I could be wrong off course, but i would be shocked if a premier league teams moves for him as he has done nothing this season to show he offers anything to a team above WBA
    I see a move to Celtic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Liverpool
    There were definitely links but whether there was a chance of a deal or not is another thing. Lots of transfer rumours out there that are pure garbage.

Liverpool
    Was he linked there :confused:
    They already have attracted players a good few levels above McClean though
    I could be wrong off course, but i would be shocked if a premier league teams moves for him as he has done nothing this season to show he offers anything to a team above WBA
    I see a move to Celtic

He was ye . I would be a bit of a Burnley fan myself. Burnley got that lad off spurs on loan possibly because wba wouldn't sell McLean.They then got Lennon at the end of the window so maybe that rules out them going for McLean again who knows. Who would have thought ward would be PL standard before dyche got his hands on him. He has been defensively one of the better FBS in the league the last year and a half. They have mainly signed championship players and players like cork and Lennon who weren't wanted at their clubs. Cork is an excellent player mind you.

• Advertisement

Everton
    He was ye . I would be a bit of a Burnley fan myself. Burnley got that lad off spurs on loan possibly because wba wouldn't sell McLean.They then got Lennon at the end of the window so maybe that rules out them going for McLean again who knows. Who would have thought ward would be PL standard before dyche got his hands on him. He has been defensively one of the better FBS in the league the last year and a half. They have mainly signed championship players and players like cork and Lennon who weren't wanted at their clubs. Cork is an excellent player mind you.

I personally had Ward above McClean in natural talent tbh
    Like you said Burnley got wingers in January and another poster said alot of rumours are bull****. A Irish lw gets injured lets link the other Irish lw to replace him(Writes itself)
    McClean is hustle and bustle player. More than talent he has a very high work ethic but there is a reason he gets 15mins a game and has no assists/goals in 17 games (Could have changed since i last checked)
    If i was you as a Burnley fan, there is countless wingers i'd select over McClean, clearly Dyche had a list he preferred to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

It’s a pretty borderline argument, I think it’s more a little from column A and a little from column B. I think he’d cope in a lot of lower premiership squads.

He seemed to get a lot of time under Pulis, albeit mostly as an impact sub, but still lots of appearances.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

Horrendously ignorant and I'll informed comment tbh. Typical of the way that the media works, McClean constantly portrayed as soon sort of loon. imagine the column inches it would have got if it was McLean involved, and not good solid pros like Evans/Barry etc.....

Relax man, I never claimed it was McClean just the first thing I thought. It wasnt meant too be serious. But now you have me worried that his lawyers might see this and do me for slander :rolleyes:

But point taken about the media, if it was McClean there would be talk of him getting sacked let alone being dropped for the game

Liverpool
    I personally had Ward above McClean in natural talent tbh
    Like you said Burnley got wingers in January and another poster said alot of rumours are bull****. A Irish lw gets injured lets link the other Irish lw to replace him(Writes itself)
    McClean is hustle and bustle player. More than talent he has a very high work ethic but there is a reason he gets 15mins a game and has no assists/goals in 17 games (Could have changed since i last checked)
    If i was you as a Burnley fan, there is countless wingers i'd select over McClean, clearly Dyche had a list he preferred to
    You are moving the goalposts it doesn't matter what me or you think. I just said initially that I think he will end up at Burnley. You asked for reasons why and I gave you them. Managers move onto more attainable players as maybe dyche couldn't get him in January or felt the fee was excessive, pardew wouldn't let him go etc.

Everton
    You are moving the goalposts it doesn't matter what me or you think. I just said initially that I think he will end up at Burnley. You asked for reasons why and I gave you them. Managers move onto more attainable players as maybe dyche couldn't get him in January or felt the fee was excessive, pardew wouldn't let him go etc.

I didnt argue that he was linked to Burnley. When you said he was i took your word for it :confused:
    Or perhaps more likely he got the players he wanted in Lennon and Spurs kid
    Like i said for me it screams lazy journalism but i dont argue he was linked at all, just that i'd be surprised if he moved there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    West Ham back in the news and again this time it's doping after the whole African player debacle.

West Ham: Premier League club charged over anti-doping breach.
    West Ham have been charged by the Football Association in relation to anti-doping regulations.

"It is alleged the club failed to ensure 'club whereabouts' information was accurate on three occasions within 12 months," the FA said.

The Premier League club have until 27 February to respond to the charge.

A West Ham spokesman said: "We would like to make it clear that the breach is a club administrative matter and does not concern any of our players."

"The breach relates to administrative oversights on the FA's whereabouts system, for example a player's address had been registered and the house number digits transposed, and the club will be responding to the FA in due course."

West Ham have been charged in relation to regulation 14 (d) of the FA's anti-doping rules, which state that for it to be a breach, "information contained in such reports is either initially inaccurate or has not been updated by the club".

The exact details of the misconduct have not yet been made clear

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43132301

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Thought this was interesting. Not just PL, but only PL keepers. Not surprising to see Edersen as the best distributor, and DeGea as the best shot stopper.

UBDWphb.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

When was the last time a keeper in the top 6 or so clubs was in the top couple of most saves (think he was 2nd or 3rd last time I saw the stats) ? It really points to Utd being an average keeper away from about 7th place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    Kiith wrote: »
    Thought this was interesting. Not just PL, but only PL keepers. Not surprising to see Edersen as the best distributor, and DeGea as the best shot stopper.

UBDWphb.jpg

Why's Karius red?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Why's Karius red?

Cos danger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Kiith wrote: »

UBDWphb.jpg

So that tells me Lloris is the best all round keeper if I'm reading it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Liverpool

if you value distribution and shop stopping equally then yes

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Lloris' distribution stats are good because he rarely passes past his CB's, who drop very deep. I'd probably put him probably 3rd in the overall charts behind De Gea and Ederson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs

Yeah as above he literally rolls the ball a few yards to Jan or Sanchez, you can be fooled easily by stats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Yeah as above he literally rolls the ball a few yards to Jan or Sanchez, you can be fooled easily by stats

I remember at one stage, Leon Britton was Europe's best passer according to his completion rate. The fact that 95% of those went half a foot to his left or right was not taken into consideration!

• Advertisement

Liverpool
    Ddg is easily the best keeper. His distribution which is good would be low as he has defenders in front of him that don't want the ball and a manager that is encouraging a long ball up to lukaku.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Ddg is easily the best keeper. His distribution which is good would be low as he has defenders in front of him that don't want the ball and a manager that is encouraging a long ball up to lukaku.

This, the 'Packie Bonner' tactics being foisted on him will colour the stats.
    Interesting that the highly rated butland ranks very low on both. Has been affected by his injury obviously, but obviously his teams form is a factor too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Spurs
    I would have thought DDG would have been second behind Ederson for distribution, strange seeing him in the bottom 10. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

d22ontour wrote: »
    I would have thought DDG would have been second behind Ederson for distribution, strange seeing him in the bottom 10. :eek:

His distribution has gone severely backwards even as far back as Moyes' time imo. Literally just looks for the biggest player in his eyeline and hoofs it at them. Used to play it out under Fergie and have Rio and Vidic hoof it up :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Liverpool
    Feels like outside of the top clubs the standard of keepers in the Premier League is pretty poor these days. Fifteen odd years ago you could look further down the table and find damn good custodians like Jaaskelinen, Kiely, Friedel, Schwarzer, Given, Flowers etc. I can't see many of the non-top 6 keepers being spoken of fondly in a decade or so with the exception of possibly Butland and Pickford.

Liverpool
    Feels like outside of the top clubs the standard of keepers in the Premier League is pretty poor these days. Fifteen odd years ago you could look further down the table and find damn good custodians like Jaaskelinen, Kiely, Friedel, Schwarzer, Given, Flowers etc. I can't see many of the non-top 6 keepers being spoken of fondly in a decade or so with the exception of possibly Butland and Pickford.

Heaton and schmeichel are both good keepers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Everton

I don't miss his regular superman games against us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Spurs
    As backwards as it may seem, there isn't a hope Cech, Lloris, Courtois, Mig and Karius have better distribution imo. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Liverpool
    Is joe hart counted as a top 6 keeper given he's still a city player? Whether people like it or not he will be looked back on as at least a 'damn good custodian'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Liverpool
    Bridge93 wrote: »
    Is joe hart counted as a top 6 keeper given he's still a city player? Whether people like it or not he will be looked back on as at least a 'damn good custodian'

A few years ago I would have agreed. Now I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    d22ontour wrote: »
    As backwards as it may seem, there isn't a hope Cech, Lloris, Courtois, Mig and Karius have better distribution imo. ;)

Than De Gea? They seem to pass the ball to their back four a lot more and De Gea does go long the vast majority of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I think DDG has always had average distribution. Courtois also, but he tends to play it out from the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Hes not even a starting keeper now.

Liverpool
    A few years ago I would have agreed. Now I'm not so sure.

I’d agree he’s not close anymore. But the guys you’ve listed weren’t top class for the entirety of their careers. Some like Kiely were never top class. Hart will be remembered as a better goalkeeper than most.

Liverpool
    pjohnson wrote: »
    Hes not even a starting keeper now.

Were Given, Schwarzer, Friedel, Kiely etc starters for all of their careers?

• Advertisement

Liverpool
    Regardless, he’s probably not in the same bracket as the others. Peak of his career was with the big 6. Presume the criteria would be he needed to spend that among the other teams like the above named players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Were Given, Schwarzer, Friedel, Kiely etc starters for all of their careers?

They certainly were at 31 anyway. For a goalkeeper he peaked unusually young before declining. Most of those you mentioned played as first choice well into their 30's

Everton
    pjohnson wrote: »
    They certainly were at 31 anyway. For a goalkeeper he peaked unusually young before declining. Most of those you mentioned played as first choice well into their 30's

I always though he was quite over rated he just never got criticised for anything due to being english

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Hart was a really good keeper. I'm not sure what went wrong but maybe having so many different managers with different defensive philosophies affected him.

Awfull b*ll*ck dropped by Butland, even allowing for Vardy trying to get a touch in front of him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement