Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Any speculation on who might replace Pardew? Could MON's phone be ringing again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Liverpool going 2nd and I think it's where they will stay tbh

shamrock55 wrote: »

Were 10 points behind Utd at one stage if I'm not mistaken so made up good ground.

Draw with ManU/Chelsea tomorrow would be sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

West Brom have had a pretty bad day today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

The firepower should see them out alright but everyone is due a wobble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Any speculation on who might replace Pardew? Could MON's phone be ringing again?
    Silva favourite according to pp. guess he nearly pulled it off with hull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Don't have BT, but it sounds like the "last match" slot on motd is sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Everton are woeful. Difficult to see any positives for them having spent a ****load

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Yeah Liverpool are absolutely flying right now. I think injury is still the big concern with them. If one of the front three gets injured there is a big drop off in attacking depth since Coutinho left.

If they all stay fit they'll be fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Easily second best team in the league. A keeper & centre half away from winning it within 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

gstack166 wrote: »

Easily second best team in the league. A keeper & centre half away from winning it within 2 years.

Im not sure just a keeper and a defender will make up the 15(18) point difference. Need a lot of depth and a lot of luck to challenge let alone win it imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

I hope they stay there. Play lovely attacking football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Just a point ahead of 3rd (who have a game in hand), so not quite that easily ahead :)
    Keeper and a CDF are probably still needed; but to compete with City, you need the squad as well, so can’t be relying on Solanke coming on. Can going, Coutinho to be replaced, Lallana/Henderson’s injuries, Milner hitting 33yrs....
    City will strengthen as well.
    Big job for anyone to catch up.

POKERKING wrote: »
    Im not sure just a keeper and a defender will make up the 15(18) point difference. Need a lot of depth and a lot of luck to challenge let alone win it imo.

Oh don’t get me wrong. They were never going to win it this year, even if they had a prime Baresi & Buffon back there, but City won’t be as ruthless again you’d imagine so the gap will be much closer should they strengthen them 2 areas.

Being a City fan, Liverpool are our main title rivals for next season. No question.

Just a point ahead of 3rd (who have a game in hand), so not quite that easily ahead :)
    Keeper and a CDF are probably still needed; but to compete with City, you need the squad as well, so can’t be relying on Solanke coming on. Can going, Coutinho to be replaced, Lallana/Henderson’s injuries, Milner hitting 33yrs....
    City will strengthen as well.
    Big job for anyone to catch up.

I agree with all but it’s hard to have the motivation year after year to keep winning, always going to be a dip. Pep has a max of 3 seasons left there after this too, maybe 2 seasons if we win the champions league in the next 2 years, much level playing field after that.

Some people seem to think it’s just the money why & how City are performing. We’ve had the money 10 years now & being a City supporter 32 years I can tell you, it’s not the money doing this (obviously helps & obviously wouldn’t have the players without it before anyone starts) but the manner, style & togetherness that squad is performing to & showing is all absolutely down to Pep Guardiola. Money doesn’t buy that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

eigrod wrote: »
    Everton are woeful. Difficult to see any positives for them having spent a ****load

the biggest positive will be when BFS is gone

Oh don’t get me wrong. They were never going to win it this year, even if they had a prime Baresi & Buffon back there, but City won’t be as ruthless again you’d imagine so the gap will be much closer should they strengthen them 2 areas.

Being a City fan, Liverpool are our main title rivals for next season. No question.

Also being a city fan, i have utd as our main title rivals next season. No question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    nice_guy80 wrote: »
    the biggest positive will be when BFS is gone

What's BFS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Big Fam Sat ?

• Advertisement

Also being a city fan, i have utd as our main title rivals next season. No question.

If they get rid of Mourinho. If they don’t, they’ll finish further points behind the winners next year than this year. It’s backwards they’re going.

If they get rid of Mourinho. If they don’t, they’ll finish further points behind the winners next year than this year. It’s backwards they’re going.

Its not. There second up from what 6th last year, have a serial winner in charge, some of the best players in the league and will likely invest heavy. Your reasons for why Liverpool might close the gap are also valid for utd. Write them off at your peril but i certainly wont.

Its not. There second up from what 6th last year, have a serial winner in charge, some of the best players in the league and will likely invest heavy. Your reasons for why Liverpool might close the gap are also valid for utd. Write them off at your peril but i certainly wont.

They also had a serial winner in Van Gaal did they not? Take City this year out of it the gap between 2nd & 6th both in terms of the table & quality in the sides is separated by a kick of a ball. It’s actually not that hard a step to move from 6th to 2nd in the Premier League season to season.

My reasons for Liverpool closing the gap is the investment in a keeper & centre half. United have the best keeper in the League & have gone through nearly as many centre back pairings as City at this stage.

Of course they have some of the best players in the league, but if you drive a Ferrari you don’t complain when it can’t performe like a 4x4. United are winning no league with Mourinho in charge. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Thing is United have the capability of matching anybody in spending if they wish. Last season they could have spent €500 million and still have been within those FFP guidelines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    BFS

Big Friendly Sam.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I'd agree with that. I really hope Mourinho stays and continues to play the sort of football he wants his team to play. The argument will of course be made that they win, league position etc but they are generally horrid to watch, long may it continue as they will start to drop their league position as the season goes on and continue that next year I think.

• Advertisement

Utd v Chelsea is a good one for the rest of the Top 4 hopefuls. A draw would be nice but if Spurs do not win, and esp if they lose the current game then I'd not be averse to Chelsea winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Clumsy tackle by Fosu Mensah there. Saved by the offside flag, as it would have been a nailed on penalty.

• Everton
    What a miss from Kane!!

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    What a miss from Kane!!

He has had two shockers. Killing my ff team!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

What a miss from Kane!!

And interesting that he was a yard offside too, lino directly in line, no real movement, and still no flag.

Nothing to see here... Just wait for the soft penalty any time now.........

• Advertisement

• Everton
    Deli Alli going down

He's gained his reputation

There was contact but not enough for me

Liverpool
    Alli at it again and again not booked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Alli at it again and again not booked.

Should have had a pen on the first one though

• Everton
    Palace fans hahah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Deli Alli going down

he goes down way too much and too easy for my liking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Deli Alli going down

He's definitely gained a reputation now. Referees now siding against him if they have the slightest doubt.

That was never a penalty either.

Should see a doctor about that middle ear infection, very persistent.

Liverpool
    Spurs players really do like to fall over a lot even in midfield.

Shame really as they have all the talent in the world to not need to to do that.

What swing and a miss.

Who else?!

• Advertisement

• Everton
    Kane with the winner

Palace must be Raging after defending so long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Nice of Wayne Hennessey to remember that he's Wayne Hennessey.

Right I want Utd to win now :( Nah, can;t have that - a draw please.

Liverpool
    fullstop wrote: »
    Who else?!

The former Arsenal youth player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Man City
    What swing and a miss.

From who I have no stream?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Haha, Hodgson loopy there!! :pac:

davycc wrote: »
    From who I have no stream?

Aurier. Still doesn't matter now.

The former Arsenal youth player?

The fella who has scored 150 goals for spurs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Man City
    Aurier. Still doesn't matter now.

Thanks Chelsea Manu draw world suit pool and spurs fans now in the run in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arsenal
    davycc wrote: »
    Thanks Chelsea Manu draw world suit pool and spurs fans now in the run in

A Chelsea loss would suit me better. I think utd are too strong to miss out.

Advertisement