Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Emirates will go into meltdown if they get thrashed I suspect

Snow is here to stay for a while I'm afraid ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Wenger needs some sort of reaction.

Emirates will go into meltdown if they get thrashed I suspect

If the other half of the fans turn up.
    Looks like a league cup sized crowd ironically enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Fans voting with their feet tonight.

Tbf the transport & weather conditions aren't ideal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

0-1. First real attack from City.

Might end up being the catalyst to get Wenger moved on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Good job they painted the blue lines or we wouldn't be able to tell where the edges of the pitch are........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Liverpool
    Arsenal fans need to be on that pitch to make a statement like fans used to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Liverpool
    Arsenal fans need to be on that pitch to make a statement like fans used to do

They’d have to show up to the stadium in the first place to do that. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Did Neville applaud city for been a team who stop play by deliberately fouling?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

ERG89 wrote: »
    Tbf the transport & weather conditions aren't ideal

But the city end hasn’t an empty seat....

That was a lovely bit of football. Arsenal are in massive trouble here. Think we may finally be seeing the end of Wenger at Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

What a cracking goal I must say.

Sane is going to be a sensational footballer

But the city end hasn’t an empty seat....

Probably because they travelled to London already & weren't not going to go to the game.
    If you were an Arsenal fan would you risk travelling to this? Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Cut to shreds. Beautiful football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Liverpool
    Can you really criticise Arsenal that much? City have been phenomenal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Man Utd
    Gbear wrote: »
    Can you really criticise Arsenal that much? City have been phenomenal.

its easy criticize any team city plays , best team in england atm

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭beya2009

Arsenal have been butchered by the media this week and I was lurking on the Arsenal tread and it's toxic but to be fair to Arsenal, Man City have hammered all the top teams this season. I'm a Liverpool fan and it's easy to forget how fickle we are as fans lol I remember clearly January of 2017 when Liverpool were in shocking form and fans were calling for Klopp to be sacked and Brendan Rogers replace him lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

ERG89 wrote: »
    Probably because they travelled to London already & weren't not going to go to the game.
    If you were an Arsenal fan would you risk travelling to this? Nope.

But the point is it was easy enough to get to, they just didn’t bother. Voting with their feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

beya2009 wrote: »
    I remember clearly January of 2017 when Liverpool were in shocking form and fans were calling for Klopp to be sacked and Brendan Rogers replace him lol

Your memory is much clearer than mine, I have no recollection of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Sky following a party line tonight of don't criticise Arsenal.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everton
    Christ turned on the tv to see this scoreline
    I respect Wenger but this is beyond pathetic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

That's the one part of Edersons game he's poor at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The she believes cup eh?

• Everton
    irishman86 wrote: »
    Christ turned on the tv to see this scoreline
    I respect Wenger but this is beyond pathetic

If he had any respect for the club he would step down now.

He should have left like Ferguson did. On a high with a trophy.

It's kind of a sad note imo. End of an era for me. Grew up watching the days of Utd and Arsenal to battle for the PL. And some of most entertaining games I ever watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Man City

It's kind of a sad note imo. End of an era for me. Grew up watching the days of Utd and Arsenal to battle for the PL. And some of most entertaining games I ever watched.

Terribly sad to see Wenger’s reign end like this. He’s a shadow of the manager he was and it’s not how he should be remembered. As a Spurs fan, while there is obvious enjoyment to be had, I find it desperately sad in many ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Terribly sad to see Wenger’s reign end like this. He’s a shadow of the manager he was and it’s not how he should be remembered. As a Spurs fan, while there is obvious enjoyment to be had, I find it desperately sad in many ways.

Ah come on now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Arsenal

Shur anything would seem entertaining compared to what your watching now!;)

Liverpool

If he didn’t want to be remembered like this, he could’ve stood down at some point and spared his legacy. He didn’t and probably won’t though, because the truth is he won’t sacrifice a pay-check or compensation package to do so and it’s even more unlikely he’ll walk into another high-paying job given his recent form and age. He made his own bed and even though the board are at fault for keeping him on too, he deserves the stick he gets.

• Everton
    Shur anything would seem entertaining compared to what your watching now!;)

Whatever you may think it doesn't relate to what I've just posted at all.
    Im speaking specifically of the Fergie v Wenger era.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Man City
    martyos121 wrote: »
    If he didn’t want to be remembered like this, he could’ve stood down at some point and spared his legacy. He didn’t and probably won’t though, because the truth is he won’t sacrifice a pay-check or compensation package to do so and it’s even more unlikely he’ll walk into another high-paying job given his recent form and age. He made his own bed and even though the board are at fault for keeping him on too, he deserves the stick he gets.

Probably he should have walked over the last 2 years but it's easy for us to say. Like most people in his position, he still believes (maybe believed) he could turn it around. To me he's like a gambler whose luck has turned. He just keeps trying to recover what he had and the more he gambles that he can do that, the deeper the hole gets.

What Wenger did in English football, particularly from 1996 - 2004 was incredible. Some of it will be remembered decades from now. Even since then, his teams still played excellent football even if they were a bit soft.

This is extremely sad. Perhaps the man has been too stubborn, perhaps he's been unable to see the decay but that doesn't make this any less sad.

• Advertisement

Liverpool
    Once again, there’s nothing sad about it. Quite the opposite in fact, this mess has been brewing for years and neither him or the board of directors at Arsenal have taken measures to stop the rot, they just threw money at a problem that money can’t fix.

Definitely not sad given the ignorance and greed of all involved. It’s funny if anything.

It's easy to say Man City beat a poor side in Arsenal or beat a team in poor form at the moment but City have done that to all the top teams this season. They have not only beaten the top teams but dominated them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    beya2009 wrote: »
    It's easy to say Man City beat a poor side in Arsenal or beat a team in poor form at the moment but City have done that to all the top teams this season. They have not only beaten the top teams but dominated them.

Liverpool put it up to them in the first game until the sending off and beat them in the second game. They hammered them until late on when Liverpool switched off.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Liverpool put it up to them in the first game until the sending off and beat them in the second game. They hammered them until late on when Liverpool switched off.

Spot on but that's it really. Man City only beat Chelsea 1:0 but they completely dominated that game, against Man U they had around 70% possession at Old Trafford which is unheard of and they hammered Spurs.

Big Sam - "Everton are in a very good position at the moment"
    Meanwhile, Allardyce has also addressed speculation he could leave the club at the end of the season.

"I am here as long as I win football matches, and if you don't win football matches it doesn't matter how long your contract is," he said.

"At the moment we are in a very good position. I am slightly surprised about the situation (speculation) but you can look at the two differences between us: good at home and not good enough away from home."

He also hit back at criticism of the style of play under his charge.

"Style of play is only brought up by previous people making out from many years ago we were playing this type of football, which is 10 years ago past," he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arsenal

Really you feel sad for arsenal. If old Trafford was burning to the ground I would show up with a bag of marshmallows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Everton
    niallo27 wrote: »
    Really you feel sad for arsenal. If old Trafford was burning to the ground I would show up with a bag of marshmallows.

That's a weird thing to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arsenal

Why do you not like marshmallows.

I'm pretty sure he's not serious, ya know like a joke.

I doubt he has a bag of marshmallows at the ready in case of a fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Arsenal
    Niallo is not messing and I bet you he does have a bag of mallows for such an occasion.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Big Sam - "Everton are in a very good position at the moment"

I watched some of the everton fan channel videos and they don't like him. I think he knows that he is toast at the end of the season, so his only goal is keeping them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Allardyce out and Pardew in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Allardyce out and Pardew in.

I don't think Pardew will be lined up for many PL jobs now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Maybe Pardew will try his hand abroad at somewhere like Porto.

Liverpool

Would he really take a step down like that though? Surely some top-end championship clubs will have an opening soon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,529 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

When youre the king, you can do anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Liverpool
    martyos121 wrote: »
    Once again, there’s nothing sad about it. Quite the opposite in fact, this mess has been brewing for years and neither him or the board of directors at Arsenal have taken measures to stop the rot, they just threw money at a problem that money can’t fix.

Definitely not sad given the ignorance and greed of all involved. It’s funny if anything.

He won the FA Cup last year, defeating the Premier League champions to do so, and it was his third win in four years which helped make him the most decorated FA Cup winning manager in the 147 years of the competition. If that's presiding over a "mess", everyone might as well pack it in.

No team in the league - and less than a handful in Europe - could live with City on that first half showing. They were outrageously good.

The modern fickle fan and his hyperbole will dismiss that. After all, we have Premier League title winners one season being dismissed as "past it" a season later; we have FA Cup winning - and three-time Premier League winning, and only invincible team in the league-winning - managers described as clueless by a random cockney geeza screaming "He's the devil incarnate, fam. He needs to go, innit" so that he can become an internet celebrity. And it's believed. It's why we have a sport where a guy like Marco Silva is the next superstar coach in August, and then anonymous by January. And this is seen as okay.

What's really sad is how people actually believe this. I've suggested this before - as a thought experiment write down 20 names on a piece of paper that you think are the best coaches in the world right now. Put the paper away in a drawer and come back to it a year later and see how many you think are still highly regarded. Many will now be out of work or strugglign for their careers - look at what has happened to Zidane this season, or Ranieri a few seasons back, consider Conte's stock in the game etc. What's more likely: that it's a fact of life that an elite coach only has a shelf life of quality that lasts a year, or that the sport is becoming a ridiculous revolving door of coaches who are too easily made scapegoats for the failings of others to keep the circus going?

Don't get me wrong. I don't expect this post to provide much, if any, pause for thought; after all a few days ago someone told me - in dead seriousness - that the FA Cup was a "nothing trophy". If I had to guess I'd say it will be met by most with some top notch retorts including, but not limited to, rolleyes smilies, glib 'witty' one liners that hunger for some thanks, and a couple of hilarious memes. So be it.

But in the land of the crazies, the sane man must always be the loon. And whatever we all may be, my conviction remains this: it's not Wenger and Arsenal that are the mess; it's the sport itself.

Everton
    Great post.

Liverpool
    He won the FA Cup last year, defeating the Premier League champions to do so, and it was his third win in four years which helped make him the most decorated FA Cup winning manager in the 147 years of the competition. If that's presiding over a "mess", everyone might as well pack it in.

No team in the league - and less than a handful in Europe - could live with City on that first half showing. They were outrageously good.

The modern fickle fan and his hyperbole will dismiss that. After all, we have Premier League title winners one season being dismissed as "past it" a season later; we have FA Cup winning - and three-time Premier League winning, and only invincible team in the league-winning - managers described as clueless by a random cockney geeza screaming "He's the devil incarnate, fam. He needs to go, innit" so that he can become an internet celebrity. And it's believed. It's why we have a sport where a guy like Marco Silva is the next superstar coach in August, and then anonymous by January. And this is seen as okay.

What's really sad is how people actually believe this. I've suggested this before - as a thought experiment write down 20 names on a piece of paper that you think are the best coaches in the world right now. Put the paper away in a drawer and come back to it a year later and see how many you think are still highly regarded. Many will now be out of work or strugglign for their careers - look at what has happened to Zidane this season, or Ranieri a few seasons back, consider Conte's stock in the game etc. What's more likely: that it's a fact of life that an elite coach only has a shelf life of quality that lasts a year, or that the sport is becoming a ridiculous revolving door of coaches who are too easily made scapegoats for the failings of others to keep the circus going?

Don't get me wrong. I don't expect this post to provide much, if any, pause for thought; after all a few days ago someone told me - in dead seriousness - that the FA Cup was a "nothing trophy". If I had to guess I'd say it will be met by most with some top notch retorts including, but not limited to, rolleyes smilies, glib 'witty' one liners that hunger for some thanks, and a couple of hilarious memes. So be it.

But in the land of the crazies, the sane man must always be the loon. And whatever we all may be, my conviction remains this: it's not Wenger and Arsenal that are the mess; it's the sport itself.

I’m not referring in any way to their performance in the LC Final there, my post was in relation to their long-term decline and I stand by my labelling of their situation as a “mess”. What else could you call it? They’re a massive club with money coming out their arses, yet they have a manager using outdated tactics without anyone at the club to question him over it while the board are happy with him because the club turn a profit through marketing and other avenues rather than meaningful success.

It’s easy to dismiss my posts about their situation because 1. I don’t support the club and 2. I don’t work for the club. You just need to look at the amount of players over the last number of years who’ve either moved away from the club or let their contracts run down to see that they’re not really going anywhere.

I don’t even necessarily disagree with a lot of your points MNG, I just really don’t agree with Arsenal masquerading a couple of FA Cup wins as success. It isn’t, Premier League titles and strong Champions League runs is the standard of success a club of their wealth must stride for. Sure Liverpool are an even bigger failure than them but at least the signs are promising and there’s a long-term strategy in place with a manager who specialises in long-term projects. It could still all go tits up and fail but at least efforts are being made. The Arsenal board are happy to twiddle their thumbs and make their money without taking risks by letting a jaded old manager have his team do the same few tricks that haven’t been winning them major honours in well over a decade.

If you don’t think they’re a mess right now that’s absolutely fine and understandable, but I don’t see how they’re anything else given their resources. They have the potential to become a massive club again over a fairly short period of time, but the board of directors are doing an awful lot to prevent that from happening.

I may not be 100% accurate in everything above, and Arsenal fans are more than welcome to correct me on the exact details and issues at hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Wenger is a great attacking coach. His teams in the early 00’s were fantastic with arguably the best style of football to watch that we have seen in the PL era. Unfortunately they were built on the foundations of George Graham’s great defence and once that left, and once all those great leaders left the club, Wenger has been unable to rebuild those solid foundations.

So you can respect Wenger, but you can’t ignore the glaringly obvious about his spineless teams for the last decade. A great manager would have found solutions. He just doesn’t know what he’s doing when it comes to defending.

• Advertisement
Advertisement