Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Swansea putting Wast Ham to the sword. 3-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Man City
    On for the hattick, great delicate header from fun sonny and a sexy cross from Kane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Swansea putting Wast Ham to the sword. 3-0

Starting to think West Ham could be a relegation candidate. On 30 points at the moment and there is serious needle between the owners and the fans. Would be a massive blow for them if they went down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Liverpool
    A couple of people have mentioned poor tactics, but not backed it up. You’ve avoided the question. I didn’t claim his tactics were spot on but I do think that the players made some basic mistakes. Keane was beaten far too easily for the winner and should have nudged Wood enough to put him off, without giving away a penalty.

The team seemed to be set up to counter attack utilising the pace of Walcott and Calvert Lewin and it worked very well in the first half as they created a bunch of good opportunities.

Dyche changed it to two up front in the 2nd half and the two very weak centre halves were outmuscled and outwitted. If he had options on the bench Sam would surely have changed things. He brought on Rooney for Davies which probably isn’t ideal when you’re under pressure but Davies was doing nothing anyway. If he had McCarthy I’m sure he would have brought him on as another one to sit in front of the backline. Though I doubt it would have made a difference against balls into the box.

They made the one mistake you simply can’t afford to do at Turf Moor though, they overcommitted on every attack and left gaping holes in defence. It doesn’t matter what they did right other than that, it’s suicide especially once Burnley put an extra man up front. They have enough confidence in their defence (and rightly so, it’s usually solid) and they soaked up a number of feeble Everton attacks and hit Everton on the counter by sending Barnes through the chasm left by the centre backs every time. Fair enough you can chalk that down to awful defending once or twice but it happened every single time Burnley won the ball back and I didn’t see Sam shouting at Williams and Keane to tuck in and force the strikers to run wide of them. Burnley had nobody out wide to trouble Everton yet they still allowed Barnes run between the defence again and again.

And don’t even get me started on their set piece defending...it reeks of poor coaching and individual errors only highlight it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Looks like it'll be his last game for wba

wp-1463855180033.gif?w=529

• Advertisement

For god's sake someone stop me watching that gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Arsenal are at an all time low now. ..
    All time low.....FFS, hype it up a bit, why don't ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

All time low.....FFS, hype it up a bit, why don't ya.
    In my 50 years watching them i've never seen a meeker team with no passion or leaders. Might have been lower placed in the league in years gone by but not lower in effort.
    This thread is about opinions so feck off with your FFS stuff..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Kane really needs to be scoring in these type of matches if he's to challenge Shearer's records.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Leicester snatch a draw in 97th min, 4 mins added time apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Kane really needs to be scoring in these type of matches if he's to challenge Shearer's records.

Yeah, he didn't have his shooting boots on today. Could have scored twice if he had. Still, very comfortable win for Spurs.

limnam wrote: »
    Looks like it'll be his last game for wba

wp-1463855180033.gif?w=529

Any point sacking him? They are doomed, so they might as well start planning for life in the championship. He would be a good manager for them in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Not really. Half of the league is terrible now so he'll have many more days to add to the record.

So, how many goals are Liverpool going to beat Newcastle by? I'll go for ..... 4-1.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

ERG89 wrote: »
    Not really. Half of the league is terrible now so he'll have many more days to add to the record.
    When teams in the lower half can spend 8-figure sums on one player, it doesn't make sense to say they're 'terrible'. In fact no team in the division has conceded 2 goals per game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Berserker wrote: »
    Any point sacking him?

Personally I don't think so.

They should keep him.

I just don't see it happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Berserker wrote: »
    Any point sacking him? They are doomed, so they might as well start planning for life in the championship. He would be a good manager for them in that situation.

Would he though? He hasn't managed in the championship in years. He's a goner I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

That's aggression, ranting from klopp is a bit much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

In my 50 years watching them i've never seen a meeker team with no passion or leaders. Might have been lower placed in the league in years gone by but not lower in effort.
    This thread is about opinions so feck off with your FFS stuff..

You're of course entitles to your opinion,but you are overegging the pudding a bit with the ’worst ever ’ bit.
    Throughout most of the 1980’s ,Arsenal were largely irrelevant,iirc prior to George Graham taking over. Likewise, prior to Arsene taking charge,they had 4 or 5 years of sh1te.
    Arsenal are going backwards,and for what it's worth, I think it's time for Wenger to hang up the anorak, but they are far from at their lowest ebb ....keep Arsene for another few years and that will come!
    Arsenal are bad enough without exaggerating it !

You're of course entitles to your opinion,but you are overegging the pudding a bit with the ’worst ever ’ bit.
    Throughout most of the 1980’s ,Arsenal were largely irrelevant,iirc prior to George Graham taking over. Likewise, prior to Arsene taking charge,they had 4 or 5 years of sh1te.
    Arsenal are going backwards,and for what it's worth, I think it's time for Wenger to hang up the anorak, but they are far from at their lowest ebb ....keep Arsene for another few years and that will come!
    Again, in my 50 years following them they are at their lowest. No effort, desire. None of the defenders fit to wear the jersey and defence was always a strong point with Arsenal. It's my opinion and I believe i'm right. I've been following since the late 60's and I can't remember performances as poor and usually embarrassing (like Mustafi and Suarez) so their at their lowest for me.

• Advertisement

Anyone know why the liberty stadium has such wide empty space behind the goals? Did they shorten the pitch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Everton
    Loving the fact the two ayew brothers play with each other now, two decent players. I'd say its cool to play professional football with your brother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Loving the fact the two ayew brothers play with each other now, two decent players. I'd say its cool to play professional football with your brother

4th set of brothers to play together in the PL. None of them have played as a partnership though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Liverpool
    JPA wrote:
    4th set of brothers to play together in the PL. None of them have played as a partnership though m

Nevilles, Toures and ??

JPA wrote: »
    4th set of brothers to play together in the PL. None of them have played as a partnership though m
    Nevilles?
    Beaten to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Liverpool
    The Ferdinands surely played together as well at some point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    Missed the first Burnley goal earlier.. that’s an absolute shocker from Pickford, didn’t even close down his angles! Gave Barnes all the time in the world to pick his spot

Everton
    astradave wrote: »
    Missed the first Burnley goal earlier.. that’s an absolute shocker from Pickford, didn’t even close down his angles! Gave Barnes all the time in the world to pick his spot

Shocking defence as well to be fair, split open from 1 pass. Williams has be terrible since joining Everton

Nevilles, Toures and ??

Greenhoffs Jimmy and Brian with United ??

Wasn't the Premier League then I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Nevilles, Toures and ??

Da Silvas.

Everton
    Da Silvas.

Good shout! was thinking for ages about it and didnt want to google it. Rafeal and fabio, another two decent players, thought Rafeal at united did well

Liverpool
    AidoEirE wrote: »
    Good shout! was thinking for ages about it and didnt want to google it. Rafeal and fabio, another two decent players, thought Rafeal at united did well

Fabio was touted out to be the better twin too, he started well and then picked up a couple of injuries and Raf developed better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Burnley the subject of two bids of £180 million from American and Middle Eastern potential buyers.
    Imagine Burnley making £60 million bids for players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

4th set of brothers to play together in the PL. None of them have played as a partnership though.
    Bradley and Shaun Wright Phillips. Though I'm not sure if they played together for us in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

blueser wrote: »
    Bradley and Shaun Wright Phillips. Though I'm not sure if they played together for us in the PL.

They were at the club at same time but doubt they played together. The Ameobi brothers surely did for Newcastle though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

blueser wrote: »

The Wright-Philips did play together in the premiership. BWP scored.

Boro 3 City 2 Dec 6 2004

Man City: James, Mills, Dunne, Distin, Jordan, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Bosvelt, Barton, Sibierski (Flood 76), Macken (Bradley Wright-Phillips 76), Fowler.

Subs Not Used: Sommeil, Onuoha, Waterreus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

So we’ve got the
    Ayew
    Neville
    Da Silva
    Wright Philips
    Toures
    All confirmed as playing together

Did the Ferdinand’s ever play together?

*edit a quick google says Rio left in 2000 and Anton didn’t debut till 2003

This.

Anyone getting hysterical about Wenger simply doesn't remember the Arsenal between the days of Charlie George up to Graham arriving, when clubs like Villa and Forest had more about them, or at least could win leagues and European Cups.

Liverpool
    MrMac84 wrote: »
    So we’ve got the
    Ayew
    Neville
    Da Silva
    Wright Philips
    Toures
    All confirmed as playing together

Did the Ferdinand’s ever play together?

*edit a quick google says Rio left in 2000 and Anton didn’t debut till 2003

Yep and Anton had already left QPR by the time Rio signed

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool
    Burnley the subject of two bids of £180 million from American and Middle Eastern potential buyers.
    Imagine Burnley making £60 million bids for players.

Hopefully that doesnt happen they have managed to grow the club without any outside investment. The owners are fans and had the sense to see that dyche with the resources available had done a great job even in the season they were relegated and are reaping the rewards now. What Burnley currently have is their strength a bunch of dedicated players that give it their all in every game. A foreign owner probably would have sacked dyche for a pardew type character and players brought in that dont really care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Everton
    Hazard brothers (Eden, Thorgan, and Kylian) were at Chelsea together at different stages but never played together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

We've also got the Olsson twins Martin and Marcus who played together at Blackburn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

We've also got the Olsson twins Martin and Marcus who played together at Blackburn.

So we’ve got the
    Ayew
    Neville
    Da Silva
    Wright Philips
    Toures
    Olson
    Brothers, All confirmed as playing together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Liverpool
    Amoebi brothers first played together against Chelsea in may 2011 on Sammy's debut

Didn't Christian Bentekes brother come on for him in a game a few years ago for palace?

Can't remember if the Lualua brothers played together at Newcastle

This.

Anyone getting hysterical about Wenger simply doesn't remember the Arsenal between the days of Charlie George up to Graham arriving, when clubs like Villa and Forest had more about them, or at least could win leagues and European Cups.
    I remember them well.
    We are at a lower level now. It's not just about league positions.

Years ago we had teams losing but trying their best. We didn't have cowards who were not putting in an effort and hiding in matches. We didn't have fans carrying posters, hiring planes with messages trailing behind them, fans leaving matches disgusted by the teams lack of effort.
    When teams beat Arsenal in years gone by they knew they had to fight hard to do so , they had to play well to win. Arsenal might have lost many matches back then but the manager stood on the sideline shouting instructions and if the team lost it was because the opposition was better and not because of lack of effort.
    We are in 6th place now and playing terribly, Burnley are in 7th and playing well. You don't always go by league position.
    In my time I haven't seen such lack of effort, I haven't seen a team perform as if they weren't trained or didn't know their jobs. So again we are at an all time low in my lifetime.

Before yesterday Burnley's form was the worst in the whole PL. If they'd been about halfway in the form guide they'd probably be level with Arsenal.

Before yesterday Burnley's form was the worst in the whole PL.
    I wonder how Dyche would do with good players and a proper budget. I'd give him a go at Arsenal for a season to see. He seems to get the most out of what he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool
    Before yesterday Burnley's form was the worst in the whole PL. If they'd been about halfway in the form guide they'd probably be level with Arsenal.

Had an awful run of injuries that has tied in with the huge dip in form. That's the first time the first choice back 4 has played together since the bad run started. Wood had missed most of the bad run , Brady another big loss and defour who is the best passer of the ball they have also out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Man City
    I wonder how Dyche would do with good players and a proper budget. I'd give him a go at Arsenal for a season to see. He seems to get the most out of what he has.

He’d be another David Moyes. I like the fella and think he’s done great at Burnley but he’s at his level.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    He’d be another David Moyes. I like the fella and think he’s done great at Burnley but he’s at his level.
    I don't know about that. He takes no messing and i'd love to see him with proper players and a budget.
    I get the feeling that you do it his way or he'd clock you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement