Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Why are all these overpaid clowns in every game covering their mouths these days when talking to a team mate or the opposition ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Why are all these overpaid clowns in every game covering their mouths these days when talking to a team mate or the opposition ?

Don't want the cameras to pick up what they are saying.

2-2 in the United game. Credit where credit is due, United have battled hard this half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I think they won it in the end, still nothing for Liverpool to worry about really. Press that defence-midfield and it'll crumble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Great winning goal by magic in fairness,but I think Liverpool will beat them on sat

• Advertisement

The race to see who will finish highest of the "miles behind City" group is pretty boring, classic bald men fighting over a comb stuff. Sky Sports trying to talk up ManU Palace is amusing, the only relevance is the relegation battle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Pool struggled to break united when they were at home. What suggests it'll be any different when they play at old Trafford?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Tomkins walkabouts on the offside trap for the first goal is one of the worst pieces of defending I've seen this season.

Well if its bus parking exercise it might be hard though a point in all likelihood would be a decent result given that Chelsea have to play Liverpool, Spurs and Leicester who could be tricky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Turtwig wrote: »
    Pool struggled to break united when they were at home. What suggests it'll be any different when they play at old Trafford?

Would have to be Mourinho's compulsion to urge his team to play attacking football on their home turf. I see what you did there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool

United might actually pass the half way line this time considering they are at home? Also when the first game was played United were flying high and Liverpool were playing poorly so I'd expect more from them going forward.

I'm thinking a score draw will be the most likely result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Corholio wrote: »
    Tomkins walkabouts on the offside trap for the first goal is one of the worst pieces of defending I've seen this season.

He actually had time to stop, look left and right, dithered and still stood there like a traffic bollard.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭beya2009

Because I think Man U have been sloppy defensively recently and really have not been playing that well in last few games despite picking up positive results. But I expect mourinho to keep it compact and basically play for a draw but all 3 of our forwards are in top form so I have to fancy our chances. Problem is that it will not be an open game so we will have to press high and really try to nick an early goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Had 1 win in 7 going into that game.

In much better form now scoring goals for fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Corholio wrote: »

Ashley Williams I just can't be bothered to mark Chris Wood who's right here next to me was as bad on Saturday. It was his Everton career in a nutshell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

The race to see who will finish highest of the "miles behind City" group is pretty boring, classic bald men fighting over a comb stuff. Sky Sports trying to talk up ManU Palace is amusing, the only relevance is the relegation battle.
    They're talking up the utd/pool game on saturday as per usual. Hopefully it'll be a better game than the last two or three meetings, which were brutal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Liverpool
    I think United will win. As poor as people make them out to be they're still 2nd in the league. I think they'll grind a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Liverpool
    blueser wrote: »
    They're talking up the utd/pool game on saturday as per usual. Hopefully it'll be a better game than the last two or three meetings, which were brutal.

Theres usually more entertainment in the match threads on boards than on the pitch. :o

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Theres usually more entertainment in the match threads on boards than on the pitch. :o
    That's true, actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

United will set up to allow Liverpool have the ball and play a counter attacking game. It is the best way to set up against Liverpool, give them the ball and say go ahead break us down with no space in behind us to run in to. United then have the players to break fast and score, Sanchez, Lukaku and whoever else they play out of Rasford/Lingard/Martial.

• Advertisement

• Everton

Start it up there Gav, cheers ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Very true. An early goal or 2 for Liverpool could be the spark for Utd to actually come out and attack. Failing that, the home side will undoubtedly defend as they are good at it and hope to nick a goal. Not expecting a classic but it will be compulsive viewing nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool
    Fromvert wrote: »
    United will set up to allow Liverpool have the ball and play a counter attacking game. It is the best way to set up against Liverpool, give them the ball and say go ahead break us down with no space in behind us to run in to. United then have the players to break fast and score, Sanchez, Lukaku and whoever else they play out of Rasford/Lingard/Martial.

The majority of teams have tried this tactic this year. The only team that has won because of it is Swansea. Granted utd would have better players on the break than the majority of teams in the league. This sit back and defend tactic isn't working for teams anymore and is a bit of a myth . It worked for 6 weeks last year from Jan till mid Feb and now its constantly said that its the way to beat Liverpool. Most times it fails miserably and the odd time it works people conveniently forget about all the other times it failed. City and Spurs attacked Liverpool and won.

The majority of teams have tried this tactic this year. The only team that has won because of it is Swansea. Granted utd would have better players on the break than the majority of teams in the league. This sit back and defend tactic isn't working for teams anymore and is a bit of a myth . It worked for 6 weeks last year from Jan till mid Feb and now its constantly said that its the way to beat Liverpool. Most times it fails miserably and the odd time it works people conveniently forget about all the other times it failed. City and Spurs attacked Liverpool and won.

I agree it's not going to work with most (weaker) teams but United have the players to pull it off. Weaker teams need to find another way to compete but this tactic will work for United. What you have to avoid doing against Liverpool is obvious. Don't let them get in behind you or catch you on the counter, you're out of position and Salah/Mane/Firmino/Ox etc are running full speed and you're trying to organise yourselves.

The way United are currently set up, giving Liverpool the ball and challenging them to break them down but also having the quality players to break is the best way to go. Going attack for attack would not be a good option.

The way United are currently set up, giving Liverpool the ball and challenging them to break them down but also having the quality players to break is the best way to go. Going attack for attack would not be a good option.

United surprised me last night. I didn't think that they had the character to dig out a result like that. Not sure that Liverpool have the steel to match United in that regard. Agree that United should set up as above. Liverpool need to get something from this game, if they want to finish second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I know that there was a chance that City could have the league won before the City-United derby if they kept winning their games / United lose a game.

Another scenario was if City win that game, they win the league.

Is this still possible does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

FitzShane wrote: »
    I know that there was a chance that City could have the league won before the City-United derby if they kept winning their games / United lose a game.

Yup. Both still possible.

FitzShane wrote: »

Liverpool could be the barrier preventing the dream scenario of us beating utd to win the title. As it stands today, the top 3 (all played 29 games) are
    City 78 pts
    Utd 62 pts
    Liverpool 60 pts

We have two games before the derby weekend (as do utd) so, if we match their results up to then and beat them in the derby, we'll be 19 pts ahead of them with 6 games to go. But Liverpool have an extra game in that period (they're playing on Paddy's weekend whereas City and utd don't; cup weekend). So they have the potential to gain a minimum of three points on us. Therefore we could be a maximum of 15 pts (maybe less) ahead of them on derby morning, with 18 still available after that weekend. We could do with a utd win (or at least a draw) on saturday lunchtime. Christ, that utd win bit was hard typed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Man Utd
    IF man utd make it past Sevilla next week and draw man city , there will be 3 Manchester derbies in a row in April :D

3/4 april : First leg
    7th April : premier league
    10/11 April second leg

So city could win the league against them and put them out of the CL in the space of a few days :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

pudzey101 wrote: »
    IF man utd make it past Sevilla next week and draw man city , there will be 3 Manchester derbies in a row in April :D

10/11 April second leg

So city could win the league against them and put them out of the CL in the space of a few days :D

Oh the horror!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

10/11 April second leg

Will this ease the pain of those two 3-0 defeats in the space of a few days?
    One denying Arsenal their best chance of silverware and the other condemning them to another year outside the top 4?

I hope it does and you can finally move on with life :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Man Utd
    Will this ease the pain of those two 3-0 defeats in the space of a few days?
    One denying Arsenal their best chance of silverware and the other condemning them to another year outside the top 4?

I hope it does and you can finally move on with life :)

sure does , no shame in being beat by the best team in england , i just wanna see 3 quality derbies next month , what neutral fan of both wouldn't :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

sure does , no shame in being beat by the best team in england , i just wanna see 3 quality derbies next month , what neutral fan of both wouldn't :D

I’m sure there would be plenty of shame if this actually happened and City won the 3 of them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool

You still have the EL. Could very well win that and qualify for the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Have you watched United play lately?

• Advertisement

Anyone watching Newcastle v Southampton? There's a child close to a mic screaming making it painful viewing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Anyone watching Newcastle v Southampton? There's a child close to a mic screaming making it painful viewing

Now they've stopped crying and you can hear Gary Birtles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Lazy, dreadful defending from the Brighton player to allow Walcott in to score.

I honestly think if players were penalised financially for individual errors like that, the standard of play would improve and players would be less error prone.

Newcastle running riot, Soton running down all their credit.

Mark Noble on the door at the London Stadium, Burnley are 0-1 up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Pitch invaders galore at West Ham Noble had to wrestle on to the ground. 2-0 now.

Ref stopping the match. Idiots still on the pitch.

One has nicked the corner flag and is heading to halfway :pac:

DX8NXt-W4AEWxEp?format=jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Give Mark Noble a medal.

3 - 0 and another pitch invasion.

West Ham should be fined and docked points.

Burnley now 3 up and Arsenal better look out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

West Ham fans really are amongst the worst around.

I suppose watching that rubbish every week would drive anyone nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool
    Dyche should go stand in the centre circle that will stop the pitch invaders.

Big image so I'll let you click it

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DX8QJ1kXUAAdG20.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Advertisement
Advertisement