Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    I don't believe it's the Arsenal fans you're hearing.

I didn’t hear anything in fairness, I’m deaf :D I seen them behind the throw taker giving out

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool
    Delighted for deeney after his comments after the previous game.

• Everton
    Delighted for deeney after his comments after the previous game.

He seems to have a slight hard-on for the Arsenal digs :pac:
    Remember he was on BT last year and he let rip saying that they are brittle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    After saving that pen can Cech finally get the clean sheet.

Liverpool
    After saving that pen can Cech finally get the clean sheet.

He definitely deserves it, has pulled off a few decent saves and kept Arsenal in this

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Credit to Burnley. The timing of their second goal so swiftly after the first pitch invasion was priceless. It just showed that it had a detrimental effect on the team rather than the owners.
    Trevor Brooking said someone hit David Sullivan with a coin too. They won't get a points deduction but should be made play a game behind closed doors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Micky with a goal and an assist today.

• Everton

Tidy player when he want's to play no doubt about it.
    But can frustrate the life out of you also.
    He will be a big player in Europa league however where you will need him the most.

Liverpool

Tbh with ya he could be like that with United, but he was incredibly inconsistent.. same with his first year with Dortmund and Shaktar. Only really started tearing it after he settled down. He went woefully out of form with us, but Jose gave him so many opportunities to get back into form but in the end it looked like he just stopped playing.. he’s the ultimate confidence player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Tidy player when he want's to play no doubt about it.
    But can frustrate the life out of you also.
    He will be a big player in Europa league however where you will need him the most.
    He's linking well with his old mate Auba who can't play in the Europa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I've been following the Arsenal game on 5live - Motty is the lead comms and he is just a doddery old man now. Quite forgot to actually commentate a few times. It's radio John!

Liverpool
    I've been following the Arsenal game on 5live - Motty is the lead comms and he is just a doddery old man now. Quite forgot to actually commentate a few times. It's radio John!

This is his last live game he's retiring after it.

Just in time it's fair to say.

Bournemouth value for the lead.

Bournemouth very lively start 1-0, should be 2-0 really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Spurs are a shambles at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Liverpool
    Good result for Arsenal.

Spurs looking in trouble here but I'd expect them to come through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Good result for Arsenal.

Spurs looking in trouble here but I'd expect them to come through.

Not sure about that, Kane gone off injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Man City
    Poor Kane going off injured hopefully he is 100% fit for the next one

• Advertisement

davycc wrote: »

Walked off, which is a good sign.

Liverpool
    1-1 now. Alli scores.

Had Kane as my FPL captain. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    davycc wrote: »

Why is he poor Kane? Injuries are just part of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Man City
    TitianGerm wrote: »

I'm a spurs fan so I love him more than most

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Liverpool
    TitianGerm wrote: »

Well he does support the club in all fairness. I’d say the same about Salah.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Well he does support the club in all fairness. I’d say the same about Salah.

Would you say the same thing about Lovren?

• Advertisement

Liverpool
    Bournemouth playing some good stuff

Spurs need to up their game here to get the three points. A win here today would take them up to third.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,113 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Man Utd
    It's horrible to see the level of diving in the BPL. Looking at Son and Alli just dropping there, it's a shame there aren't stronger referees that will make a statement by issuing some yellows for simulation.

• Everton
    Quazzie wrote: »
    It's horrible to see the level of diving in the BPL. Looking at Son and Alli just dropping there, it's a shame there aren't stronger referees that will make a statement by issuing some yellows for simulation.

Alli is one of the most dishonest players I've witnessed in quite some time.
    Such a shame as technically he's an excellent player.
    His manager publicly endorsed it so he's as much to blame as Alli himself.

• Everton
    All things considered....the weekend just got even better :)

• Advertisement

Son took that well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Thought the foul ruling out Bournemouth's equaliser was harsh, seemed minimal contact that you get all the time in a box. Spurs go up the other end and finish it a few minutes later.

Have to say regardless of the result, Son is a really nice player to watch.

Bournemouth concede goals to a level that is edging on unacceptable, they are lucky in that they continue to win just enough games to be comfortable in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Quazzie wrote: »
    I was surprised to see Son doing that sh1te today; he seemed a genuine type of bloke. Alli? Well; we've all seen what he's like. As has been pointed out though, his manager has more or less endorsed it, so he's going to carry on doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Bournemouth concede goals to a level that is edging on unacceptable, they are lucky in that they continue to win just enough games to be comfortable in the end.

Begovic was a decent keeper once upon a time, his form has been very poor this season, some very poor goals conceded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Jamie carragher might be in a bit of trouble after spitting at a 14 year old girl. Why get involved. Just ignore and keep driving

Liverpool
    eh i dunno wrote: »
    Jamie carragher might be in a bit of trouble after spitting at a 14 year old girl. Why get involved. Just ignore and keep driving

He claims he was goaded 3/4 times although that doesn't justify his response. That's what middle fingers are for.

Interesting to see how Sky handle it.

Liverpool
    Stick him working with Redknapp as punishment.

He isn't a nice man at all he might be a club legend on the pitch but he is the furthest thing from it off the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭beya2009

He claims he was goaded 3/4 times although that doesn't justify his response. That's what middle fingers are for.

Interesting to see how Sky handle it.

My guess is that it will be swept under the rug. Didn't Kirsty Gallacher get done for drinking driving last year and Sky did absolutely nothing about it. Much more serious offense and nothing was done as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Pretty amazing how in this day and age there hasn’t been a sky sports alert!! They alert for almost nothing these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

PhilipsR wrote: »
    Give Mark Noble a medal.

Not sure they give out medals for fisting lads on football pitches :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Not sure they give out medals for fisting lads on football pitches :)

Fcuk, didn't see the x-rated version you're going on about!

Liverpool
    A cold wet windy Monday in Stoke.

Mauricio Pellegrino sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Mauricio Pellegrino sacked.

2,3, 4 months too late??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Marco sulva perfect fit one would think? They should be easy mid table he can have no complaonts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

POKERKING wrote: »
    Marco sulva perfect fit one would think? They should be easy mid table he can have no complaonts

Not so sure about that. Poor choice of manager has certainly bumped them down a few positions but it's also an issue with the transfers and, to a point, injuries too, I think.

Southampton did well bringing in the next big thing to replace the players they were selling for a few seasons but that luck seems to have run out, to a point. Players like Hoedt, Hjobjerg, Boufal and, even, Lemina have talent but don't produce consistently. Put them with players like Redmond, Stephens and Ward-Prowse who are, again, talented but young and developing and you've got a risky base.

Forster was in dire form last season and they didn't replace him and are now playing their second choice. The strikers are very poor - Shane Long's scoring record is dismal and Charlie Austin seems permanently crocked. Carrillo had a poor return at Monaco and hasn't exactly improved.

I mean, put it this way: in each of the last few seasons, Southampton have had their best players cherry picked by teams in the top 6. Which of their squad now would be snapped up by those sides? Ryan Bertrand maybe? Possibly James Ward-Prowse for his potential? Someone might look at Oriol Romeu as a good back up? They've not exactly replaced the likes of Pelle, Mane or Wanyama, though.

I can understand the frustrations of a Saints fan - they've had some top class recruitment over the years and been repeatedly farmed for it. It now looks like that luck has run out and they are no better than 5/6 teams around them as far as I can see.

I reckon the right appointment - Silva would be a good one like you say - will give them the new manager bounce and they'd be fine but it would require some clever, targeted investment in the summer to get them up to mid-table I think. This isn't just a case of a poor manager unable to get the best out of under-performing players but, instead, a generally weak squad of middling to poor players, some injured ones and just a poor return on recent transfers.

ERG89 wrote: »
    2,3, 4 months too late??

Southampton should not have sacked Claude Puel as he did a good job. I guess expectations were far too high and now look where they are in the table.

Is Alexis Sanchez really on 400k a week? I know he's struggling for form at the moment but he will surely come good but that's crazy wages if it's true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Liverpool
    POKERKING wrote: »

They had a perfect fit with Claude Puel! Plonkers!

Advertisement