Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Marco Silva initially reported as favourite for Southampton job but other reports this morning saying he's signed a deal with Benfica to take over there next season.

The UK Indo reporting:
    The Portuguese coach has been out of work since being sacked by Watford on 21 January and has had offers to stay in the Premier League and work with a third English club.
    But Lisbon giants Benfica have been keen on Silva for years, and they have made an approach to bring the 40-year-old coach to the Estadio da Luz next season if Rui Vitoria, the current manager, is replaced. Vitoria is in his third season at Benfica and won the Portuguese title in each of the last two, but this year they are two points behind Sergio Conceicao’s Porto in the league.

Looking at the alternatives, it seems to be most likely Mark Hughes, which isn't surprising but wouldn't be too exciting. And, tbf to them, Southampton have a bit of a record for thinking outside the box with appointments - Pochettino came from out of the blue, Pellegrino was a surprise and I don't recall many links with Koeman before he took over either.

Other names reported by the tabloids this morning include Martin O'Neill and Slaven Bilic, who just seem to be linked with every job in the PL lately, as well as Graham Potter, Kelvin Davis and Gordon Strachan.

I wouldn't be too excited by any of that if I was a Saints fan!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Looking at the alternatives, it seems to be most likely Mark Hughes, which isn't surprising but wouldn't be too exciting.......
    Other names reported by the tabloids this morning include Martin O'Neill and Slaven Bilic, who just seem to be linked with every job in the PL lately, as well as Graham Potter, Kelvin Davis and Gordon Strachan.

I wouldn't be too excited by any of that if I was a Saints fan!

What a depressing shortlist that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Liverpool
    Wonder if they’ll go after Steven Gerrard so he can continue his natural progression towards eventually managing us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Rodgers would be a good choice for Southampton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

beya2009 wrote: »
    Is Alexis Sanchez really on 400k a week? I know he's struggling for form at the moment but he will surely come good but that's crazy wages if it's true.

Not according to United, who have briefed he is on similar money to Pogba (so under 300k).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Southampton basically need a manager for 8 games.
    Somebody to come in and give them a boost then they can make a more long term decision in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

JPA wrote: »
    Southampton basically need a manager for 8 games.
    Somebody to come in and give them a boost then they can make a more long term decision in the summer.

Kelvin Davis be the most likely if this is there attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Man Utd
    pudzey101 wrote: »
    IF man utd make it past Sevilla next week and draw man city , there will be 3 Manchester derbies in a row in April :D

3/4 april : First leg
    7th April : premier league
    10/11 April second leg

So city could win the league against them and put them out of the CL in the space of a few days :D

Looks like sevilla bet me to it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Liverpool
    Harry Kane expected to return to training next month, according to Spurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Dear God! There are no failures in football management, only exciting new opportunities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Seriously that's just pathetic. Explains in part why the quality in the EPL is so bad. Same managers, philosophies and ideas doing a merry go round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Liverpool
    Not according to United, who have briefed he is on similar money to Pogba (so under 300k).

Source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Arsenal
    Oh god. Thought we were rid of Hughes from Premier League football for good. Whatever happens, it's always the refs fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    Ah here! Silva must be holding out for the Everton job, because there is no way they didn’t approach him.

Right?

Riiiight?

Can’t believe we will have to put up with him again for the rest of the season at least anywYs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I’m not sure what Marco Silva has done in England to warrant keep getting chances also, tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Liverpool
    In the right job I think he could be decent.

Although he could easily become another AVB but less succesful.

Liverpool
    AVB definitely did it the right way for me win some trophies make a lot of money retire at 40 and go live your dreams while in the prime of his life.

And he has been successful enough that if he wants to return in a few years big enough and high paying teams will still offer him a job.

Liverpool
    Is Jose looking to be sacked to get a big payout and walk into the PSG job without them having to pay any compensation.

Those comments are nuts! Fact!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Is Jose looking to be sacked to get a big payout and walk into the PSG job without them having to pay any compensation.

Very entertaining - unbearable listening to United fans when he signed with them - I've been looking forward to it falling apart ever since :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

AVB definitely did it the right way for me win some trophies make a lot of money retire at 40 and go live your dreams while in the prime of his life.

And he has been successful enough that if he wants to return in a few years big enough and high paying teams will still offer him a job.

In fairness to AVB, he always very much up front about his plans. He wanted to make a lot of money and take a few years off before potentially coming back into the game at a later stage.

Always said he wanted to manage around the place, live in different countries and see the world, too.

The man has an excellent football brain, is only 40 years of age and has managed in Portugal, England, Russia and China, as well as working under José in Italy and enjoying a stint in the British Virgin Islands at just 21. I also have it in my head that he spent time living in Brazil studying the teams there in his 20s but I can't see mention of that anywhere so I may have it mixed up with someone else.

As I understand it, he essentially descends from Portuguese nobility - his uncle was a viscount or something of that sort? A lot of wealth, very well educated and basically just using football as a means to see the world.

Not a bad life!!

On Silva, though, he did a decent job at Hull, losing half his squad in the week he joined and almost scraping them over the line with loanees and other cast-offs. At Watford, he did a decent job for a few weeks and then it all blew up - the results actually followed a similar pattern to Walter Mazzari the previous season: good early run, slow drop off and go from there. With Silva, the Everton business soured relations and the club obviously saw fit to dump him as such. Can't blame them but also wouldn't hold it against him: he's ambitious and prone to moving; so are they.

I'd like to see him over a few seasons at a club to actually make my mind up on him. For a man with such a profile in England at present, he's only actually managed 48 games with English sides.

Just seen it. The man is in meltdown mode.

marvin80 wrote: »

Very entertaining - unbearable listening to United fans when he signed with them - I've been looking forward to it falling apart ever since :D

I think elimination from the European Cup is always very emotive and reactions from fans, players and managers can be over the top. Especially at United going back two decades or more. It was always a ‘disaster’ for a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Says he doesn't want to manage a club that have their league won before the season starts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,113 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Man Utd
    Says he doesn't want to manage a club that have their league won before the season starts...

They wouldn't if he managed them ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everton
    Quazzie wrote: »
    They wouldn't if he managed them ;)

You make zero sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Charley's Adams off - unsuccessful lunge on Rooney.

Everton
    Charley's Adams off - unsuccessful lunge on Rooney.

Least shocking comment of the weekend

Liverpool
    Can have no complaints anyways, he looks up at Rooney and changes the direction of his leg to towards Rooney.. horrible challenge

https://twitter.com/efcfanscorner_/status/975032194786824193?s=21

• Advertisement

God West Brom...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭beya2009

God West Brom...:rolleyes:

This from a very unhappy fan:

"8 straight defeats in all competitions. 10 pts from safety with an awful goal difference. 3 wins from our last 40 Premier League games. Another defeat after taking the lead. Regardless of there not being an alternative, Pardew has to go. I'd rather my dog be in charge. #WBA"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Liverpool
    irishman86 wrote: »
    You make zero sense

It makes perfect sense. They wouldn't have the league won before the season starts if he was in charge.

Not saying I agree but the poster is making sense, you just don't see it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Everton
    how on earth did Mike Dean not give Benteke that penalty..:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Mo Salah is apparently the first Egyptian to score a hattrick. Fair play to him although I would somehow thought Mido or Zaki had got hattricks during their first spells in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Arsenal
    pjohnson wrote: »
    Mo Salah is apparently the first Egyptian to score a hattrick. Fair play to him although I would somehow thought Mido or Zaki had got hattricks during their first spells in England.

Of course they'd call them fez tricks

Of course they'd have really called them a tarboosh trick but I prefer fez trick
    http://www.egy.com/historica/96-10-26.php

• Advertisement

Nearly a fortnight until there's another proper football match.:mad:

Crazy lining up the 5th round of the cup before a two week break for international friendlies. Some teams won’t play for three full weeks in March.

Maybe it’s a good time to start talking about the POTY?

I’d have to go for Salah. I know a lot of people had decided De Bruyne a long time ago but what Salah is doing this year is incredible. He has to win it. Also City’s votes could be spread between a few players like what happened United in 1999.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Crazy lining up the 5th round of the cup before a two week break for international friendlies. Some teams won’t play for three full weeks in March.

Maybe it’s a good time to start talking about the POTY?

I’d have to go for Salah. I know a lot of people had decided De Bruyne a long time ago but what Salah is doing this year is incredible. He has to win it. Also City’s votes could be spread between a few players like what happened United in 1999.

When does voting happen? I think the Watford game could be a big turning point in people's opinions on salahs claim for Poty, that and the fact he needs 3 more goals to equal the top scoring record in a 38 game season and 4 to beat it will also be a big factor. Of course de bruyne still has as good a chance, both brilliant players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Arsenal
    There's really no need to international friendlies in March.

Liverpool
    Kolido wrote: »
    There's really no need to international friendlies in March.

I don’t know, while i dislike the timing of most internationals, teams need to have matches to prepare for the World Cup in the summer. It really is a damned if the do and damned if they don’t situation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Everton
    Salah should get player of the season no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I think KDB should get it as he is the best player in a league winning team that includes a record breaking winning run.

It's harsh on Salah cos what he is doing is immense

Liverpool
    Mushy wrote: »
    I think KDB should get it as he is the best player in a league winning team that includes a record breaking winning run.

I dunno about that, Salah has 28 goals and 10 assists in 30 games playing from the right. with 8 games to go he looks like he will be breaking records easily.. Goals win games, I don’t know how the voting will go though as with City so far in front that will no doubt play a huge part in it.

Expect to see Harry Kane lift it now :p

Regardless of who wins it, I'll never get my head around voting taking place in Feb/March for Players Player of the year.

Maybe back in the day when everything was collated on paper. But in this day and age, totally bizarre :confused:

astradave wrote: »
    Mushy wrote: »

I dunno about that, Salah has 28 goals and 10 assists in 30 games playing from the right. with 8 games to go he looks like he will be breaking records easily.. Goals win games, I don’t know how the voting will go though as with City so far in front that will no doubt play a huge part in it.

Expect to see Harry Kane lift it now :p

As I said, city being the dominant team will lead to kdb getting the award IMO. If it is salah, there can be no complaints from anyone.

If it's Kane, it'll be like the Giggs saga all over again

Liverpool
    Salah is the best individual player in the league this season.

It is a POTY award not a player of the best team award.

Everton

100%
    Best team get a medal for winning the league, no need for them to be awarded best player by default

I'd agree with that, but still think KDB will get it for his role within the team. A few weeks ago I'd have just said KDB alone

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭beya2009

Will go to KDB but personally I think it should go to Salah...his consistency and goal scoring record this season has been sensational and God knows what his numbers will be come the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hope KDB gets it because he deserves it. Best player in the league and has proved it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement