Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I have a nagging feeling that Salah will get it. He's been none too shabby this season. I hope, though, that KDB gets the nod; he's been phenomenal for us and, in my opinion, deserves it. Then again, I'm biased!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    KDB's record this season is 11 goals and 19 assists.

Salah's record this season is 36 goals and 12 assists

As and individual award for the best player in the league there really is just one winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Liverpool
    Taking both stats and general impact on the team I think the top 5 are probably Kane, KdB, Silva, Salah and Firmino.

City being possibly the best team ever in the league (or at least in the PL era), is a lot to do with the strength of the team and Pep.

KdB gets some extra credit for being the greatest single factor in that attack and it'd carry him over the line if Salah was having a normal season, but he's on track for best PL era goalscorer and maybe at as good a rate as anyone since Jimmy Greaves.
    He's also chipping in with assists at a rate similar to anyone bar KdB.

I don't think it would be a travesty if KdB won but Salah is the player IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

KDB's record this season is 11 goals and 19 assists.

Salah's record this season is 36 goals and 12 assists

As and individual award for the best player in the league there really is just one winner.
    And David de Gea has none! Awful player obviously.

Silly argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Liverpool
    And David de Gea has none! Awful player obviously.

Silly argument.

Yep, you're making sense there alright.

Salah, an advanced winger with a goal of creating or scoring goals

KDB, an advanced midfield playmaker with a goal of creating or scoring goals

DDG, a goalkeeper.

Silly alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Kevin De Bruyne for me. Easily the best overall player in the EPL this season.

Honourable mentions to Dembele, David Silva, Salah and Kane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If he breaks the premier league goalscoring record and scores more than Ronaldo which it's looking like he will I don't see how he couldn't win it. KDB definitely deserves it too though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Salah is the best individual player in the league this season.

It is a POTY award not a player of the best team award.

All things being equal I think Salah should really get POTY.

But the fact that City are winning the league by a mile makes me think there will be a groundwell of opinion out there that it should go to a City player and KDB is the obvious choice.

And KDB has been great but Salah might break the Premier League single season scoring record and he's a wide attacker. Who doesn't take penalties or free kicks really. It's crazy stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Turtwig wrote: »
    Kevin De Bruyne for me. Easily the best overall player in the EPL this season.

Honourable mentions to Dembele, David Silva, Salah and Kane.

Dembeles only played 17 games and has no goals or assists even? I get that he's a lovely midfielder and all but that's an odd shout seeing him getting an honourable mention for poty.

• Advertisement

Liverpool
    Can't see anyone but Salah or KDB getting it or being more deserving. If Salah continues he shoukd take it with ease. Should.

klose wrote: »
    Dembeles only played 17 games and has no goals or assists even? I get that he's a lovely midfielder and all but that's an odd shout seeing him getting an honourable mention for poty.
    I thought it an odd call as well. Yes; he's an important player for Spurs. But, if you're going to go for a second Spurs player in the nominations, I'd go for Son. Cracking little player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Salah, KDB, and Kane are really the only options. Next on the list would be De Gea. But really, with Kane injured at a crucial time especially, it's entirely between those first two.

Most years it would have to be KDB for being central to so much of what City are all about, but this year, I think just it's impossible to look past Salah. Football is about goals, and you simply can't not select the guy scoring at a rate which has never been done before in England. Add in the fact that he's into double figures for assists, and just how much work he gets done defensively to help out the team, and it's just incredible.

Wouldn't begrudge KDB if he got it, but Salah is completely re-writing what a goalscorer in England is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

klose wrote: »

My apologies did not realise he played so few games. Yeah for lack of consistency you have to discount him. Simply not enough play time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The even more impressive thing about Salah is just one of his goals didn't come from open play. It's incredible really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    Turtwig wrote: »
    My apologies did not realise he played so few games. Yeah for lack of consistency you have to discount him. Simply not enough play time.

On his day, Dembele is the best all round CM in the league, he’s more of an assist the assisted player though, he will never really feature on a player of the year list.. always seems to pick up little niggles too. Very unfortunate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

I hate Liverpool but its still Salah by a good distance for me. KDB second and possibly Kane third.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Salah, KDB, and Kane are really the only options. Next on the list would be De Gea.

Don’t think De Gea has been as good as previous seasons, although maybe that’s because United have been better overall.

I think he’s a little overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭beya2009

If I had to choose between Salah and KDB it would be Salah every day of the week. Apparently Barca, Real Madrid and PSG will battle to try and sign Salah for around £200 million this summer which says it all. He's going nowhere anytime soon but just goes to show his worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

The only reason i think anyone would say KDB isnt the winner is if they havent seen enough of him or just watch match of the day.

Not only has he been the best player in the league id argue he has been the best player in world football.

Anyone who looks at assists and goals only wont see the full picture. KDB has been incredible for city sometimes playing very deep and absolutly bossing games since august. He is head and shoulders citys best player in possibly the greatest team the premier league has seen.

Salah has been immense he absolutly has and any other season he would walk it but for me there is only one winner.

Salah will win top goalscorer, thats what you get for scoing the goals he has scored but ultimately he will likely end the season potless.

Weirdly two weeks ago this wasnt even a debate, kdb was like 1/10 and Salah was 6/1 joint second favorite with Kane. Since then Salah has gone missing against united and scored four goals against a poor Watford team, in the meantime KDB has won the league cup and city have comfortably beaten two top 6 rivals with him at the centre of it. I dont see it enough to justify shifting the odds to level. The last few weeks has been so easy for city that its working against KDB but his whole season shouldnt be forgotten because of a four goal haul for Salah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

beya2009 wrote: »
    If I had to choose between Salah and KDB it would be Salah every day of the week. Apparently Barca, Real Madrid and PSG will battle to try and sign Salah for around £200 million this summer which says it all. He's going nowhere anytime soon but just goes to show his worth.
    Glad you're not judging it then.
    You a Pool fan?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Everton
    De Bruyne should get it, he has been instrumental on and off the ball.

Salah is second place, but Kane would be a nonsense pick above them.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭beya2009

You a Pool fan?

Yep lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

You a Pool fan?

Hardly a crazy call to be fair. Salah will get a lot of votes. Whether he gets as many as KDB is another thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Liverpool
    POKERKING wrote: »
    The only reason i think anyone would say KDB isnt the winner is if they havent seen enough of him or just watch match of the day.

Not only has he been the best player in the league id argue he has been the best player in world football.

Anyone who looks at assists and goals only wont see the full picture. KDB has been incredible for city sometimes playing very deep and absolutly bossing games since august. He is head and shoulders citys best player in possibly the greatest team the premier league has seen.

Salah has been immense he absolutly has and any other season he would walk it but for me there is only one winner.

Salah will win top goalscorer, thats what you get for scoing the goals he has scored but ultimately he will likely end the season potless.

Weirdly two weeks ago this wasnt even a debate, kdb was like 1/10 and Salah was 6/1 joint second favorite with Kane. Since then Salah has gone missing against united and scored four goals against a poor Watford team, in the meantime KDB has won the league cup and city have comfortably beaten two top 6 rivals with him at the centre of it. I dont see it enough to justify shifting the odds to level. The last few weeks has been so easy for city that its working against KDB but his whole season shouldnt be forgotten because of a four goal haul for Salah.

Excellent post to fair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everton
    You a Pool fan?

I'd love to know where he gets the confidence hes going nowhere.
    Barca/Real come in and ya hes gone. Didnt anybody learn from Coutinho

Liverpool
    irishman86 wrote: »
    I'd love to know where he gets the confidence hes going nowhere.
    Barca/Real come in and ya hes gone. Didnt anybody learn from Coutinho

In the end, maybe.

I can't see Liverpool letting Salah go unless it's crazy money. They're a keeper, possibly a defender too, away from a serious title challenge. To lose Salah in the summer would be a huge step backwards unless they can get cover, with Salahs form that's unlikely to happen with whatever money they get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Have seen plenty of both. KDB is a fine midfielder and fully deserves his plaudits this season, his right footed passing along the floor is sublime, as is his crossing. He plays as a vital cog in a well oiled midfield with other world class midfielders making runs and space in a co-ordinated ruthless offensive fashion and is arguably at the core of that setup along with Silva. He has been consistent all season and his output has not dipped. I can understand a football purist's preference for KDB as their player of the year. There is an allure to the cerebral "string-pulling" midfield maestro operating at his own pace in a non-flustered fashion between the lines.
    Salah is playing further up the pitch, ostensibly as the right-sided of 3 attacking players but in reality has license to roam across the centre of pitch and is happy to drag defenders everywhere on the pitch. His movement and energy in every game he plays is causing absolute havoc for every defence he has faced, unless the opposition have had the luxury of settling in with 2 banks of 4. Even then he has managed to source chances in between full-back and centre-halves, having formed an innate understanding of movement and space with Firmino in a short time together.
    Playing in front of a somewhat workmanlike midfield of Henderson, Milner, Can, Wijnaldum, he has had to work extremely hard to keep offering himself as an option and to keep forward movement flowing, and to ensure his full-back is not exposed at times. The range of goals he has scored, from runs in behind to headed crosses to jinking dribbles past a couple of defenders, to snatched strikers poached efforts, marks him out as a "fox in a box" - but when you add in the amount of work he gets through in wide spaces and his ability to assist others, create space for others or play key passes, closing down of defenders etc, his output starts to look... staggering.
    Salah may look more like a whirling dervish street player than the polished artisan with a huge range of passing, but his contribution to his side's performances this season is arguably greater than KDB's. Though like others have said, I would have no issue with either picking up POTY.

That is spot on; you put it far more eloquently than I could. The problem for Kev is that forwards tend to be more in the glare than mere midfielders. It's hard to ignore a 4 goal haul, no matter how mediocre the opposition was. And also (if I'm right) this is the time of the season when votes are being cast, and Salah is in red hot form. Both players have had phenomenal seasons, and in any other season, either of them would walk the award. For obvious reasons I hope Kev gets it, but I have a nagging feeling that Salah will bag the prize.

Liverpool
    blueser wrote: »
    That is spot on; you put it far more eloquently than I could. The problem for Kev is that forwards tend to be more in the glare than mere midfielders. It's hard to ignore a 4 goal haul, no matter how mediocre the opposition was. And also (if I'm right) this is the time of the season when votes are being cast, and Salah is in red hot form. Both players have had phenomenal seasons, and in any other season, either of them would walk the award. For obvious reasons I hope Kev gets it, but I have a nagging feeling that Salah will bag the prize.

Players votes were cast last month according to a couple of the podcasts I listen too and are awarded before the season even finishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

All the awards should be voted for at the end of the season. 1st of June every year, say.

• Advertisement

Players votes were cast last month according to a couple of the podcasts I listen too and are awarded before the season even finishes.
    Thanks for clarifying that.

All the awards should be voted for at the end of the season..

Absolutely. There's no logical reason for this stone age voting system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Arsenal
    All the awards should be voted for at the end of the season. 1st of June every year, say.

I think it should be split. Have one in December and one in june. Players that finish well aee always looked upon more favourably than those that started well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,383 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    I think it should be split. Have one in December and one in june. Players that finish well aee always looked upon more favourably than those that started well

Or all the players of the month for the season are the nominees and then those are voted for on the last day of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Or all the players of the month for the season are the nominees and then those are voted for on the last day of the season.

But if a player is 2nd best every month, he's probably been the best player in the league overall, unless it's the same player beating him every time. He wouldn't be considered in that system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Liverpool
    All the awards should be voted for at the end of the season. 1st of June every year,  say.
    Seen Lampard on football focus last year I think saying that most players dont bother with it and whoever is the players rep just fills out the majority with his votes and hand them in so I doubt you would get any back at all if it was left until after the season ended!

Liverpool
    In this day and age it would be quiet easy for the PL/FA to set up a voting app for all players throughout the leagues that needs to be voted on the last day of the season.

Any player that does not vote pays a 10% wage fine that gets pooled together and goes to a charity of choice of the winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool
    I think it would be better if the managers all voted for the player of the year at the end of the season. I'd say the majority of footballers couldn't care less about voting in the award and would actually watch a lot less football than the majority of posters on here. A manager on the otherhand has to watch other teams play and would be a lot more informed as to who had the best season.

Football is about goals, and you simply can't not select the guy scoring at a rate which has never been done before in England...

Clive Allen 1987?

Think it was 49 goals overall, he just tell short of the 50. Pretty sure Shearer subsequently scored more league goals in a season.

Some year for Allen. Won nothing, vamoosed the following year. The ultimate striker hitting a purple patch.

• Advertisement

Liverpool
    Clive Allen 1987?

Think it was 49 goals overall, he just tell short of the 50. Pretty sure Shearer subsequently scored more league goals in a season.

Some year for Allen. Won nothing, vamoosed the following year. The ultimate striker hitting a purple patch.

Was there not more games in a season back then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

Liverpool
    Salah, KDB, and Kane are really the only options. Next on the list would be De Gea. But really, with Kane injured at a crucial time especially, it's entirely between those first two.

Most years it would have to be KDB for being central to so much of what City are all about, but this year, I think just it's impossible to look past Salah. Football is about goals, and you simply can't not select the guy scoring at a rate which has never been done before in England. Add in the fact that he's into double figures for assists, and just how much work he gets done defensively to help out the team, and it's just incredible.

Wouldn't begrudge KDB if he got it, but Salah is completely re-writing what a goalscorer in England is.

Assuming you are going by his 17/18 goals rate alone, which is 0.93?

Harry Kane goals rate for 16/17 was 0.97.
    Suarez goals rate in 13/14 rate was 0.94.

He has some way to go to get a rate higher than Kane.

Was there not more games in a season back then?

More league games. Less European games...in fact none that season for any English club...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Liverpool
    Ronaldo got 31 in 34 in the league and 42 in 49 overall in the 07/08 Season as well. Still plenty of games for Salah to beat that obviously and tbf he has been sensational all year so I wouldnt bet against it.

Liverpool
    Assuming you are going by his 17/18 goals rate alone, which is 0.93?

Harry Kane goals rate for 16/17 was 0.97.
    Suarez goals rate in 13/14 rate was 0.94.

He has some way to go to get a rate higher than Kane.

What's Kane's rate without penalties, I think Suarez wasn't on penalties that season either? I know Salah has 1 penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Liverpool
    Drogba got 29 goals from 32 games in 2009/10 including 1 penalty on the final day.

He also managed 10 assists that year.

Everything he touched turned to gold that year.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everton
    What's Kane's rate without penalties, I think Suarez wasn't on penalties that season either? I know Salah has 1 penalty.

What has scoring penalties got to do with it
    You realise its a skill not all are capable off, take the best player of this generation Messi for example

Liverpool
    irishman86 wrote: »
    What has scoring penalties got to do with it
    You realise its a skill not all are capable off, take the best player of this generation Messi for example

Well if Salah was on penalties he'd probably have a few more goals so if you can exclude penalty goals you can compare like with like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

With all the talk of goal rates, I’m getting a mention in for Kevin Phillips who hit 30 in 36 in the Premier League in 1999/2000 for Sunderland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    Well if Salah was on penalties he'd probably have a few more goals so if you can exclude penalty goals you can compare like with like?

Well there has to be a reason why he’s never really taken penalties throughout his career.. maybe he’s not that good at them? So his stats might be just the same? It’s all ifs and buts.. at the end of the day penalties are a skill in itself and they are still classed as a goal..

You could just as well say “ well if he didn’t pass the ball to Firmino/Mane there he would have scored and his stats would be higher”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Arsenal
    Dixie Dean says hi!

• Advertisement
Advertisement