Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Jose's post match interview is going to be glorious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

As Neville said with 10 to go, it feels like a derby now, enjoyable second half.

Liverpool
    I bet Jose will have the Man U changing room blaring with music and have the staff and squad shouting and singing and winding up the City squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

I bet Jose will have the Man U changing room blaring with music and have the staff and squad shouting and singing and winding up the City squad.

That will really annoy City but then they'll remember they've the league wrapped up

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Great second half. Utd got the luck with the Young penalty whike De Gea proved how valuable he is yet again.
    They were 50/1 at ht, doubt if anyone got on considering their first half performance. Tale of 2 halves.

Sterling will have absolute nightmares though, he could easily have had a hat trick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Liverpool
    My dad predicted this exact scoreline when I spoke to him this morning. I told him no chance.

Pity he didn't bet on it as he probably could have won a fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

My dad predicted this exact scoreline when I spoke to him this morning. I told him no chance.

Pity he didn't bet on it as he probably could have won a fortune.

40/1 on bet365, 50 on bwin

Great result for Newcastle today. They've been in good form though that should see them safe now anyway. Rafa to Chelsea? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

batistuta9 wrote: »
    40/1 on bet365, 50 on bwin

Great result for Newcastle today. They've been in good form though that should see them safe now anyway. Rafa to Chelsea? :D

10 points clear of safety I think Newcastle will stay up;at this stage they should sell Rafa plushies in the club shop. Thought Slimani would be a big signing for them in January but he has done as little as Sturridge but Kenedy has been a shrewd loan signing.
    Dreadful week for City blow a 2 goal lead at home and no away goal in Europe with the worst possible outcomes in both. A visit to Spurs next weekend and trying to overturn a 3 goal deficit will be a big test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Man City
    DeanAustin wrote: »
    Don’t buy that. Lloris is having a bad season but I wouldn’t abandon him. Proved his worth over 4-5 seasons and is still young enough for a keeper.

Amazing how football fans bemoan the lack of player loyalty but after a few bad games have no problem saying “x needs to be dropped/sold”.

I happy enough with lloris making an odd mistake here or there. It keeps the vultures from the door. He won us plenty of points this year with his saves. Still a top class goalkeeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Berserker wrote: »
    Anyway else watching the merseyside derby? Atmosphere is terrible for a derby. Great chance for Everton for win this but they lack creativity. On a side note, Liverpool are a not a top four side without Salah.

Hate this logic, where would United be without de gea? Barca without Messi, Madrid without Ronaldo?

• Advertisement

Liverpool
    I'm pretty sure Liverpool were a top 4 team last season without Salah.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool
    I'm pretty sure Liverpool were a top 4 team last season without Salah.

Take out mane and they are average was last years one, take out coutinho and they will struggle, its now take out salah .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Man City
    Take out mane and they are average was last years one, take out coutinho and they will struggle, its now take out salah .

It’s all a load of bollix from people who read the likes of The Sun. A few weeks ago, some clown on here was saying “Without Kane, Spurs are a mid table team.”

Kane gets injured and Spurs win three from three by an aggregate score of 10-2 including a massive result at Stamford Bridge.

Liverpool without Salah or any other individual player would still be strong top 4 contenders. Same as United without De Gea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool

I actually think it’s Firmino that’s the most important player to get the machine moving, he knits everything together

Liverpool
    astradave wrote: »
    I actually think it’s Firmino that’s the most important player to get the machine moving, he knits everything together

I 100% agree with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Charles Austin with the goal old bean!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Well deserved equaliser for Southampton. Three points up for grabs for them, if they can keep playing like this. Shane Long is playing really well for them. Best I've seen him play in ages.

Liverpool
    Austin has some goalscoring record.Unfortunately he struggles to stay fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    What’s today’s excuse for the half empty stadium?

Have excuses been offered? I though it was just an increasingly disengaged home support making their feeling known.

• Advertisement

Lots of roadworks in North London this weekend.

Have excuses been offered? I though it was just an increasingly disengaged home support making their feeling known.

Yep, Wenger claimed people were away for Easter last weekend.

How annoying, that'll surely do it

3-2 to Arsenal. Southampton's defence is killing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Really good performance by Southampton but they look doomed with their fixture list.

Good grief it's all kicking off - two straight reds one for each side but neither is for Wilshire somehow.

Liverpool
    Wilshire I just don't see the hype. Still no contract signed I'll be shocked if he is at a top 6 team next year.

Two reds to end the game. Enjoyable half, I have to say. Do get what people see in Wilshere. Not good enough for Arsenal, for me. Can see him ending up at somewhere like Everton.

Two reds to end the game. Enjoyable half, I have to say. Do get what people see in Wilshere. Not good enough for Arsenal, for me. Can see him ending up at somewhere like Everton.

Everton have enough problems. They don’t need that baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Good grief it's all kicking off - two straight reds one for each side but neither is for Wilshire somehow.

Because shirt pulling isn't a red card offence Harry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

How did BT who have the rights to the 5:30pm game on a Saturday lose today's game to Sky?

BT sat out this round of games so they could have one later in the season.

The Manchester derby was always at 5:30pm the game that was moved was the Merseyside derby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Arsenal
    I think thats southampton done. Actually i think the bottom 3 now are the 3 that will end up relegated

ricero wrote: »
    I think thats southampton done. Actually i think the bottom 3 now are the 3 that will end up relegated

Not so sure. Brighton have a horrible set of fixtures coming up. Hope they stay up but it's going to be very hard for them.

Palace (A) - Derby game for them
    Spurs (H)
    Burnley (A)
    Man United (H)
    Man City (A)
    Liverpool (A)

Man City
    Wilshire I just don't see the hype. Still no contract signed I'll be shocked if he is at a top 6 team next year.

If Ross Barkley, Danny Drinkwater, Moussa Sissoko, Jordan Henderson, Ander Herrera & Fabian Delph can play top 6, Wilshere can easily.

I detest him but he’s a lovely footballer. There was one little pass today he pulled off. Ball was bouncing, he was facing his own goal and still freed a player on the wing. He links defence and attack brilliantly. If wasn’t such an odious individual and wasn’t Arsenal through and through, I’d have him at Spurs in a heartbeat.

If Wilshire is not at Arsenal which top 5 side would really be able to make use of him and want to pay what he'll demand?

• Advertisement

ricero wrote: »

Not so sure. Brighton have a horrible set of fixtures coming up. Hope they stay up but it's going to be very hard for them.

Palace (A) - Derby game for them
    Spurs (H)
    Burnley (A)
    Man United (H)
    Man City (A)
    Liverpool (A)

7 points and a lot of teams between Brighton and the bottom 3. Southampton have City and Chelsea as well as trips to Everton and Leicester in the last 6 games.

Not saying it won’t be close but I’d be very surprised if Brighton go down, although they should have finished the job already.

Liverpool
    If Ross Barkley, Danny Drinkwater, Moussa Sissoko, Jordan Henderson, Ander Herrera & Fabian Delph can play top 6, Wilshere can easily.

I detest him but he’s a lovely footballer. There was one little pass today he pulled off. Ball was bouncing, he was facing his own goal and still freed a player on the wing. He links defence and attack brilliantly. If wasn’t such an odious individual and wasn’t Arsenal through and through, I’d have him at Spurs in a heartbeat.

He has some lovely touches I'm not disputing that. But give me the likes of Drinkwater, Henderson and Herrera all day long in midfield. Wilshire gets totally overrun by strong midfield opponents something that doesn't happen to the above 3. He is a better footballer than the above 3 no question but his overall impact on a game to make up for his defensive deficiencies isn't enough to justify playing him over those 3.

Liverpool
    I think Huddersfield will go down Watford Everton city Chelsea and arsenal to go.

I think Huddersfield will go down Watford Everton city Chelsea and arsenal to go.

I think their home form will be enough. They have 32 points at the moment and they have Watford, Everton and Arsenal to play at home. Everton are useless on the road, Watford have nothing to play for and Arsenal will be on the beach or preparing for a Europa league final on the last day of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Liverpool
    Joe Hart with the best save of the weekend there to keep it at 1-1 for West Ham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Liverpool
    martyos121 wrote: »
    Joe Hart with the best save of the weekend there to keep it at 1-1 for West Ham.

And another. His City contract must be up soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arsenal
    Wait for the boos after this one.

Man City
    He has some lovely touches I'm not disputing that. But give me the likes of Drinkwater, Henderson and Herrera all day long in midfield. Wilshire gets totally overrun by strong midfield opponents something that doesn't happen to the above 3. He is a better footballer than the above 3 no question but his overall impact on a game to make up for his defensive deficiencies isn't enough to justify playing him over those 3.

And I honestly believe that is why we have such a problem producing footballers to hold onto the ball in this country and the UK.

I hear a lot of people complaining that Ireland don’t keep the ball and it’s a lack of players in the Wilshere/Hoolahan mould that prevent us doing that.

You’re opinion is shared by a lot of people I know but they’re the same people who complain that we don’t keep the ball enough. The likes of Drinkwater and Henderson are good at what they do but they’re mediocre in possession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Ah look, if you were in an Arsenal midfield with the likes of Ozil, Mktarian, Xaka, Ramsey, and with Kochelny and Mustafi behind you, you would look a poor defender too. Arsenal don't do defence any more, it's a bit much to pin it on Wiltshire. His biggest problem has been injuries, his close dribbling style at times invites other lads 'to put a foot in' on him, and he has suffered from this over the years.

Chelsea are a strange side these days - win league, blow out, win league, blow out

Liverpool
    And I honestly believe that is why we have such a problem producing footballers to hold onto the ball in this country and the UK.

I hear a lot of people complaining that Ireland don’t keep the ball and it’s a lack of players in the Wilshere/Hoolahan mould that prevent us doing that.

You’re opinion is shared by a lot of people I know but they’re the same people who complain that we don’t keep the ball enough. The likes of Drinkwater and Henderson are good at what they do but they’re mediocre in possession.
    Trust me I can appreciate a good footballer and I value possession hugely. Henderson is underrated by a lot of people including his own fan base. The problem with Wilshire is you can't trust him defensively in a midfield two and he doesn't contribute enough attacking returns when played behind the front man. The comparison with hoolahan isn't good as his attacking returns are quite good especially when you consider the teams he played with compared to Wilshire and hoolahan is predominately a no. 10. Wenger loves the type of footballer you are talking about but he has rarely trusted Wilshire . This season he is finally getting a good run in the team and the results are telling.

Nice one Hammers

Chelsea are a strange side these days - win league, blow out, win league, blow out

Was just thinking that. They'll finish 5th or 6th this season, change manager and go on to win the league next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Nice one Hammers
    That was a very good result for them. They'll be okay now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Whatever hope there was for Chelsea before this weekend, that's the top 4 sorted now.

2 wins from 5 will do Liverpool imo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement