Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

rob316 wrote: »
    Kane can have his Golden Boot, Salah will rest for the PL and will have a champions league medal instead.

Wouldn't be counting on that medal by the way, hopefully Roma, Bayern or Madrid will get that trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Liverpool
    KingdomYid wrote: »
    Wouldn't be counting on that medal by the way, hopefully Roma, or Bayern or Madrid will get that trophy.

This and only this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

greenspurs wrote: »
    Do yaa think ? How so ?

Yeh cos, the fans from other clubs using the Kane-gate incident to bash Kane and Spurs would admit, its a Spurs thing?
    I suppose the Pool supporters are afraid we will take their "Always the Victims" status ?

First time I've been accused of being a Pool fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

GavRedKing wrote: »
    This and only this.

Nah, I would not normally be a Madrid supporter but in this case I make an exception.

Liverpool
    KingdomYid wrote: »
    Nah, I would not normally be a Madrid supporter but in this case I make an exception.

I dont want another English side winning it because I'm petty. :pac:

I just dont like Madrid, they keep bloody grinding out CL wins and it boils my p*ss. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

pjohnson wrote: »
    First time I've been accused of being a Pool fan.

Did the hat fit ? :D:P

If youre not.... I apologise profusely !! ;)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I dont want another English side winning it because I'm petty. :pac:

I just dont like Madrid, they keep bloody grinding out CL wins and it boils my p*ss. :o

#MeToo

And guess what clubs jersey I won in a competition this morning ?! :rolleyes::cool:

Real fricking MAdrid..... (Might come in handy for when they are playing Liverpool tho ) :D:p;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It appears that the Kane story has become a really big deal.

I always like strikers who are 1. excellent and 2. greedy. You wouldn't have seen Alan Shearer saying "no YOU have it"...
    You also wouldn't have seen him go begging for a goal he didn't score

He took the piss on twitter too btw.

Did the hat fit ? :D:P

If youre not.... I apologise profusely !! ;)

Manchester United.

Its ok. You're new, I'll accept the apology this time :P

Manchester United.

Its ok. You're new, I'll accept the apology this time :P

OUCH !!!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Liverpool have short memories !!
    April 22 2016 - Liverpool 4-0 Everton.

"Of course I've told him. He would claim it is his but it touched me so it is my goal," said Sturridge of Liverpool's final goal of the night.
    "If it touches you you claim it, wherever it touches you - eyelash, wherever. It did actually touch me."

Daniel Sturridge after trying to take Coutinhno's goal...
    Discuss ..... :)

Did he go on twitter and appeal for it or go and ask for it from a goals panel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Very few days with no football on

Date/Team Chelsea Spurs Man City Liverpool Arsenal Man Utd Everton Southampton Bournemouth WBA
    14th Apr Southampton (a) Man City Spurs (a) Bournemouth Swansea (a) Chelsea Liverpool (a)
    15th Apr Newcastle (a) WBA Man Utd (a)
    16th Apr
    17th Apr Brighton (a)
    18th Apr Bournemouth (a) Man Utd
    19th Apr Burnley (a) Leicester (a)
    21st Apr Man Utd WBA (a) Spurs Liverpool
    22nd Apr Southampton Swansea West Ham Chelsea
    23rd Apr Newcastle
    24th Apr Roma (ITA)
    26th Apr Atlético Madrid (ESP)
    28th Apr Swansea (a) Stoke Huddersfield (a) Bourenouth Southampton (a) Newcastle (a)
    29th Apr West Ham (a) Man Utd (a) Arsenal
    30th Apr Watford
    2nd May Roma (ITA) (a)
    3rd May Atlético Madrid (ESP) (a)
    4th May Brighton (a)
    5th May WBA (a) Burnley Southampton Everton (a) Swansea Spurs
    6th May Liverpool Huddersfield Chelsea (a)
    8th May Swansea (a)
    9th May Huddersfield Newcastle Brighton Leicester (a)
    10th May West Ham (a)
    13th May Newcastle (a) Leicester Southampton (a) Brighton Huddersfield (a) Watford West Ham (a) Man City Burnley (a) Palace (a)
    16th May UEL Final
    19th May FA Cup Final FA Cup Final FA Cup Final FA Cup Final
    26th May UCL Final

Date/Team West Ham Leicester Stoke Palace Swansea Burnley Watford Newcastle Brighton Huddersfield
    14th Apr Burnley (a) Brighton Everton Leicester Huddersfield (a) Palace (a) Watford
    15th Apr Arsenal
    16th Apr Stoke West Ham (a)
    17th Apr Spurs
    18th Apr
    19th Apr Southampton Chelsea
    21st Apr Watford (a) Man City (a) Palace
    22nd Apr Arsenal (a) Burnley Stoke (a)
    23rd Apr Everton (a)
    24th Apr
    26th Apr
    28th Apr Palace (a) Liverpool (a) Leicester Chelsea Brighton WBA Burnley (a) Everton
    29th Apr Man City
    30th Apr Spurs (a)
    2nd May
    3rd May
    4th May Man Utd
    5th May Leicester (a) West Ham Palace Stoke (a) Bournemouth (a) Arsenal (a) Newcastle Watford (a)
    6th May Man City (a)
    8th May Southampton
    9th May Arsenal Spurs (a) Man City (a) Chelsea (a)
    10th May Man Utd
    13th May Everton Spurs (a) Swansea (a) WBA Stoke Bournemouth Man Utd (a) Chelsea Liverpool (a) Arsenal

You also wouldn't have seen him go begging for a goal he didn't score

He took the piss on twitter too btw.

This interaction suggests that he wasn't really "taking the piss" out of Kane at all, they were both laughing about it and the way that strikers will claim goals. Oh and Gary Linekar joined in and said, as another great striker, he'd claim it too...

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/and-finally/harry-kane-is-building-an-army-of-pundits-to-help-him-get-his-goal-against-stoke-back-36784476.html

Liverpool
    PL Clubs have voted against introducing VAR into the PL next year.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/04/13/premier-league-clubs-reject-introduction-var-201819-season/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Good.

Liverpool
    They need to stream line it or at the very least, make their intentions of using it known to the fans in the stadium but I hope its brought in soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    I can't wait to see the amount of players that will go on social media after games this weekend claiming goals.

Did he go on twitter and appeal for it or go and ask for it from a goals panel?

I wouldn't know .....
    But does it matter ? I'm stating the facts of what Sturridge said, and the fact that he wanted to claim a dubious goal.
    If you cant see the similarities, well then .........

This interaction suggests that he wasn't really "taking the piss" out of Kane at all, they were both laughing about it and the way that strikers will claim goals. Oh and Gary Linekar joined in and said, as another great striker, he'd claim it too...

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/and-finally/harry-kane-is-building-an-army-of-pundits-to-help-him-get-his-goal-against-stoke-back-36784476.html
    That was on the day of the match or the day after.

I was thinking more of when the appeal decision was given.

I wonder if they will give me the other 9 I also scored but were not given!!??🀣🀣 #269 #appeal https://t.co/xi2QW0bOeK

* yawn .......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Liverpool
    Good.

Yep, agree, VAR is total sh*te.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Yep, agree, VAR is total sh*te.

No its not, but I'd limit it's use though to rulings on goals involving errors related to offside.

No its not, but I'd limit it's use though to rulings on goals involving errors related to offside.
    Yeah......no....needs a few more years of tweaking

mata.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Everton
    Yeah......no....needs a few more years of tweaking

mata.jpg

Think var should stay away from the game, even if it is and an offside goal is scored against my team it'll happen. Dont think var will cure that as they'll always be mistakes even with it.

Just play the game and let the refs etc do their job, just get better refs as for me that os a huge problem in the league.

People can have var all they want but you need to have refs that are capable of doing a decent unbiased game then the game would be better for it.

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Think var should stay away from the game, even if it is and an offside goal is scored against my team it'll happen. Dont think var will cure that as they'll always be mistakes even with it.

Never understood this attitude tbh. Remember what it was like before goal line technology came in? Some of the mistakes made were an embarassment to the game. Now its accepted without question. VAR isnt there to obtain perfection, merely as an aid for officials to reduce errors as much as is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Just play the game and let the refs etc do their job, just get better refs as for me that os a huge problem in the league.

People can have var all they want but you need to have refs that are capable of doing a decent unbiased game then the game would be better for it.
    This, better decision makers is whats required, and let them at it.
    The standard of refereeing in the EPL, and the understanding of the rules, and what is/isn't a foul by prominent pundits is what's wrong. When you hear the likes of Robbie Savage and even Lampard (who isn't a bad pundit so far in general) calling for fouls/penalties when any contact is even implied is a fvcking joke. An example was Lampard for Mahrez last weekend, 'clearly a penalty' apparently. The difference in the EPL games and the European games is often stark. The culture of diving in England is now ingrained unfortunately. These referees, as it stands, will give penalties for anything even with the VAR I'm afraid.

There are decisions in every game that just can't be made (correctly)by a ref on the pitch. No matter how good he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Never understood this attitude tbh. Remember what it was like before goal line technology came in? Some of the mistakes made were an embarassment to the game. Now its accepted without question. VAR isnt there to obtain perfection, merely as an aid for officials to reduce errors as much as is possible.

VAR proponents always mistakenly cite goal line technology as evidence of VAR's efficacy, ignoring the fact that goal line technology gives a binary YES/NO decision to the referee in real time - whereas VAR does anything but.
    Not only does VAR in its current guise require off-site, delayed, human (ie open to error) interpretation, it is really not required in order to enjoy the spectacle of a flowing sporting contest.
    Let the referee and assistants do their job and if they get the odd decision wrong, so be it. What we stand to gain from the odd corrected decision, we lose double in terms of the enjoyment of the spectacle of the flowing game of football.
    You don't need to be a luddite to detest VAR, just a lover of the game of football.

garra wrote: »
    VAR proponents always mistakenly cite goal line technology as evidence of VAR's efficacy, ignoring the fact that goal line technology gives a binary YES/NO decision to the referee in real time - whereas VAR does anything but.
    Not only does VAR in its current guise require off-site, delayed, human (ie open to error) interpretation, it is really not required in order to enjoy the spectacle of a flowing sporting contest.
    Let the referee and assistants do their job and if they get the odd decision wrong, so be it. What we stand to gain from the odd corrected decision, we lose double in terms of the enjoyment of the spectacle of the flowing game of football.
    You don't need to be a luddite to detest VAR, just a lover of the game of football.

Interrupting the flow of a game isnt an issue when using VAR to check an offside call after a possible goal. Theres a natural pause in the game before a restart. Most offside decisions can be resolved pretty quickly imo.

• Advertisement

Interrupting the flow of a game isnt an issue when using VAR to check an offside call after a possible goal. Theres a natural pause in the game before a restart. Most offside decisions can be resolved pretty quickly imo.

Yes but as soon as you allow VAR for offside decisions (which VAR STILL got wrong after a ridiculous delay in the FA Cup), you open the door for scope creep in terms of it's usage.
    It's not required, we don't need to pimp our game with a shiny new gadget. A football match can be a wondrous spectacle, I hope that never changes.
    Of course it will at some point though, when a grubby entertainment executive wants to cream more profits from added sponsorship of the VAR system and additional ambient marketing opportunities during the offsite decision making process.

Yes but as soon as you allow VAR for offside decisions (which VAR STILL got wrong after a ridiculous delay in the FA Cup), you open the door for scope creep in terms of it's usage.
    It's not required, we don't need to pimp our game with a shiny new gadget. A football match can be a wondrous spectacle, I hope that never changes.
    Of course it will at some point though, when a grubby entertainment executive wants to cream more profits from added sponsorship of the VAR system and additional ambient marketing opportunities during the offsite decision making process.

I’ve already said i’d limit its use to scenarios such as offside. Year in year out a sizable number of these decisions are being got wrong by officials. Not acceptable in my view. Goals win (or lose them if you don’t get them) games. Whatever about VAR and other scenarios, mistakes involving actual goals need to be reduced as much as possible.

I personally think the installation of floodlights for TV purposes and turn it into "entertainment" product for TV was the start of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

VAR is going to be the way to turn a game from a two hour viewing experience in to a 2.5 hour viewing experience with an extra 30 minute of ads thrown in. The limited games I've seen where it's been used in has been enough for me to side with the acceptance of bad calls happening over my time being wasted at the moment.

Everton

Errors are part of the game and its whats makes football such a quick and dynamic game in the fact it can happen to both sides during 90minutes. To take that away and make it all perfect ruins it.

Everton

Well said post to be fair and makea an great argument

• Advertisement

Everton
    Didt they try to stamp out the fouls/penalty claims/corner kicks/ goal kick claims by bringing in another official on the goal line. 4th or 5th offical that stand there on the goal side line, can see everything in the box but to afraid to play a call. An absolute watse, its been commented multiple times during a match when a foul happens in a box that should be a penalty, the commentars can call it on replay yet you see this official peering in, sees the foul happen but does nothing.

Its not the the system thats wrong, its the setup. You have officals on the edge of the pitch amf they see something then they should have their say instead of a ref whose 20yards away having the final decision.

Get the best people for the job and the game will be better for it, keeo using the same old refs with the same reputations then your always going to have an uproar

Everton

Difference between goal line technology and var is, goal line tech if its over the line the ref gets a pretty instant result on their watch before we even see it on our screens

With var you are going to have stoppages in play for offside and all else for every little mistep.
    It'll just completely take the flow of the game out of it.

You'll never see the ilks of players like keane, veira, ronaldo, messi, terry, carragher etc because half of the stuff they did would be against var. Let it flow

Errors are part of the game and its whats makes football such a quick and dynamic game in the fact it can happen to both sides during 90minutes. To take that away and make it all perfect ruins it.

Stevie G slipping in a match is what I’d class as an error. A wrong decision is a wrong decision, simples. Im not looking for perfection, merely a rational way of reducing those wrong decisions that may affect key moments in a match such as a goal being scored. If a team loses/wins a league title because of a faulty offside goal that can be sorted in less than a minute, i’m all for that.

Everton
    Stevie G slipping in a match is what I’d class as an error. A wrong decision is a wrong decision, simples. Im not looking for perfection, merely a rational way of reducing those wrong decisions. If a team loses/wins a league title because of a faulty offside that can be sorted in less than a minute, i’m all for that.

But the rational decision can take minutes as it is now, and like PJ posted above not very accurate.

Your asking for the impossible if thats what you want. For goal line tech there are camera's there which can intsantly tell you if its in or not. With var it goes to a review room upstairs as the cameras are not every inch on the the pitch

Surely a rational way would be to up the class of refereeing in the league

Your asking for the impossible if thats what you want.

Nope. You’ve seen dozens if not hundreds of faulty offside related goals analysed on Super Sunday, MOTD etc down the years and with the vast majority of them it was clear in a very short space of time as to whether the decision was right or not. People here seem to be digging out the most difficult ‘what if’ scenarios in an attempt to discredit VAR. IMO that simply isn’t realistic.

• Advertisement

Everton
    Nope. You’ve seen dozens if not hundreds of faulty offside related goals analysed on Super Sunday, MOTD etc down the years and with the vast majority of them it was clear in a very short space of time as to whether the decision was right or not. People here seem to be digging out the most difficult ‘what if’ scenarios in an attempt to discredit VAR. IMO that simply isn’t realistic.

'Super Sunday, MOTD' you do realise they have been analysing since the match has ended or hit half time..... Not instant.

'Super Sunday, MOTD' you do realise they have been analysing since the match has ended or hit half time..... Not instant.

I never said it was instant. IMO the camera technology and angles available make the vast majority of offside related goals quick and easy to judge. There is a pause in the game after a goal is scored. I honestly dont think the flow of a game will be disrupted as a result.

Everton
    I never said it was instant. IMO the camera technology and angles available make the vast majority of offside related goals quick and easy to judge. There is a pause in the game after a goal is scored. I honestly dont think the flow of a game will be disrupted as a result.

Guess we'll agree to disagree man.

Edit: your treating goal line with var in the same virtue is what im getting, totally different aspects in how you can call any part of game.

3rd time ive said the standard of ref has bee absolutely piss poor,

Fix that, you fix a lot

Guess we'll agree to disagree man.

Edit: your treating goal line with var in the same virtue is what im getting, totally different aspects in how you can call any part of game.

3rd time ive said the standard of ref has bee absolutely piss poor,

Fix that, you fix a lot

We probably won’t agree but trust me id be concerned about the overall game too, and i think VAR if used carefully can contribute positively. As regards the standards of the officials i think some scenarios are beyond the limits of the human eye to supply the right info to base a decision on. Offsides can be very difficult sometimes to get right but seem easy when analysed by technology. For that reason i think VAR deserves a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I’m totally against VAR in any form. If they introduce it to the PL in any capacity, even if only to check offside then it will slowly become more prevalent in the game. They’ll tweak it a little every season to allow more decisions to be made by VAR. Eventually they’ll have advertisements, when it’s ingrained in the game and people have accepted it.

It’s kind of why I understand the NRA in the US not budging an inch on gun control. It’s not because they’re completely evil monsters, it’s because they know if they give an inch now, it’ll be another inch in a few years and another inch a few years after that. And it’s harder to push back when you’re already going backwards.

Unfortunately there’s nobody to fight for the average football supporter, and our voices aren’t heard and don’t matter as long as bums are on seats and subscriptions are paid for.

Watching the Milan derby recently Icardi scores a goal, cue celebrations for two minutes before VAR got involved to rule it out for a marginal offside. I just turned off the game then and there because it was so ridiculous. Absolutely ruins the experience of watching the game and alters completely the emotional response to big moments in the game.

How many times has the "games will be stopped for ads" line been used and there's no sign of it happening. I remember it going back to USA 94 when they decided to have short water breaks. The scaremongering was used then too.

It hasn't happened in Rugby either.

Offside is offside btw. Being marginal is more of a reason to use the var, its hardly need for times when a player is 5 yards offside (yet the infallible human eyes on the pitch somehow manage to miss those sometimes). And it's hardly the fault of var if the human in charge (see the common denominator in most mistakes) took 2 minutes ( was it really 2 minutes? Cos that's a long time . Try standing still doing nothing for 2 full minutes) to decide to check something. The Var isn't an autonomous evil cyborg making decisions for people.

In a week when Man City were denied a crucial goal because of a bad decision that may have been corrected had officials some opportunity to review it, the argument against VAR surely took another knock.

Watching the Milan derby recently Icardi scores a goal, cue celebrations for two minutes before VAR got involved to rule it out for a marginal offside. I just turned off the game then and there because it was so ridiculous. Absolutely ruins the experience of watching the game and alters completely the emotional response to big moments in the game.

You would rather an offside goal stood to preserve the "moment"?

What about the emotional response of AC Milan supporters if they lost because of a bad decision? I would have thought nothing ruins a game more than wrong decisions, how fondly do Irish fans remember that night in Paris. Not that VAR eliminates them of course, just provides a system of reviewing them and ideally addressing the more egregious ones.

How many times has the "games will be stopped for ads" line been used and there's no sign of it happening. I remember it going back to USA 94 when they decided to have short water breaks. The scaremongering was used then too.

It hasn't happened in Rugby either.

Offside is offside btw. Being marginal is more of a reason to use the var, its hardly need for times when a player is 5 yards offside (yet the infallible human eyes on the pitch somehow manage to miss those sometimes). And it's hardly the fault of var if the human in charge (see the common denominator in most mistakes) took 2 minutes ( was it really 2 minutes? Cos that's a long time . Try standing still doing nothing for 2 full minutes) to decide to check something. The Var isn't an autonomous evil cyborg making decisions for people.

A desire for correct decisions during a game is not a valid reason to fundamentally change how the game is played and watched. Human error, which won't be eliminated by var, is a fact of life. Sport teaches us how to cope with such facets of life, lessons we can bring from leisure activities that we can apply in the real world are the true value of sport. Dissecting and agonising over moments of action in a sterile slowed down replay is the antithesis of enjoying a flowing sporting contest. The previous posters point about the delayed offside is a great example of how the game's appeal and it's very essence as a sporting contest can be negatively impacted for the sake of a desire for jurisprudence.

Sport teaches us how to cope with such facets of life, lessons we can bring from leisure activities that we can apply in the real world are the true value of sport...

You say the essence of sport is to learn how to deal with decisions, and particularly wrong decisions, in our lives? And the lesson we must learn is "suck it up"?

I disagree. I just don't view sport in those terms at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement