Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

You say the essence of sport is to learn how to deal with decisions, and particularly wrong decisions, in our lives? And the lesson we must learn is "suck it up"?

I disagree. I just don't view sport in those terms at all.

Maybe some perspective is required? Football is still a sport, ie a luxury, leisure activity, despite the hype. It's outcomes are not matters of life or death, but of whether you were absorbed in its throes of battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Anyway Southampton v Chelsea anyone? Can the home side carve out a valuable point at home against a side that appears to be sleepwalking to the season's conclusion?

Alonso with a leg breaker not spotted. A lot of fouling from both sides in the last 10.

HT 1-0 Soton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Southampton probably deserve the lead.
    But they need to keep up the tempo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Liverpool
    Alonso with a leg breaker not spotted. A lot of fouling from both sides in the last 10.

HT 1-0 Soton

Not sure how that was missed, Dean just metres away with what seemed to be an unobstructed view. Straight red for me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Southampton probably deserve the lead.
    But they need to keep up the tempo

True, they've played well but IF Chelsea come out in the second half and really want to win I expect Southampton will crumble as there done most of the season. Problem is Chelsea don't seem to be at it at all, again. Saints got 2 fast yellows as are biting into challenges, a red could arrive to scupper their chances.
    Makes for an interesting second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

What a horrible challenge by Alonso, straight red all day long. Hopefully Southampton can hold out here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

That should be more than a 3 game ban. Horrible tackle to say the least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Chelsea still not over the effects of Adolf Mourinho it seems. Poor little lambs.

• Advertisement

Get in you beauty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great time to score your debut goal

Liverpool
    Took that well

Petulance from Hazard there, baby can't take his beating.

garra wrote: »
    Sport teaches us how to cope with such facets of life, lessons we can bring from leisure activities that we can apply in the real world are the true value of sport.
    garra wrote: »
    Maybe some perspective is required? Football is still a sport, ie a luxury, leisure activity, despite the hype. It's outcomes are not matters of life or death, but of whether you were absorbed in its throes of battle.

:D

I'm not sure whether you think sport teaches us lessons we apply to life, or is merely an idle leisure activity, albeit one that features "throes of battle".

But either way, I like a system where egregious wrongs can be reviewed, I don't find wrong decisions particularly absorbing, I find them simply...wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Everton
    Chelsea are in big trouble.

• Advertisement

****. Giroud.

Hold on Soton, hold on. Don't be you're usual flaky pathetic selves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Great header by Kane.

The man who should not be even on the pitch with the assist. Well done Mike Dean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

You just knew Alonso would be involved in something like that after not getting the red

They are just so pathetic.

• Advertisement

2-2 game on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,860 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

****. Giroud.

Hold on Soton, hold on. Don't be you're usual flaky pathetic selves.

They just won't listen...:P

Liverpool
    That's really poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Liverpool
    VAR is very much secondary in importance to sorting out some sort of proper citing system.

I dunno is the system in rugby perfect or anything, but jesus it's lightyears ahead of football.
    The quality of administration in general in rugby and how they handle progressing the sport is on a different level to football.

I suppose it helps that it's a bit smaller, but within organisations like the FA they should be doing a better job.

That Alonso tackle isn't a crime (unlike the time he killed a woman while speeding in the rain while over the drink driving limit and got away scot-free) but it's a solid red and 3 game ban.

****ing hell, it's incredible.

That's it, I hope Southampton not only go down but go bust and are bought by the Venkys.

Chelsea take the lead, typical Southampton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,860 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

'Mark Hughes can't believe what he's seeing'.:rolleyes:

Yeah, cos this is so out of character for this resilient Southampton side...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Liverpool
    Hehehehehe

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Everton
    Southampton showing why they are in the relegation zone. Fair play to Giroud, he's twice the player Morata is.

Liverpool
    Dirty game generally, Mike Dean is a poor, poor referee.

• Advertisement

Have to laugh at the Chelsea fans chanting 'Antonio', probably wanted him sacked 10 minutes ago.

Dirty game generally, Mike Dean is a poor, poor referee.

He has made the right calls for most of the bookings. He missed the red card in the first half though which was poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Hughes is an appalling manager.

At 2-2 at least, he should've been changing things. Instead he stood there wondering what to do and Chelsea score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

This could be a massive day in the relegation battle. Southampton losing here. Palace, Swansea and Huddersfield all have favourable fixtures. I can see Palace turning over Brighton, Swansea turning over Everton, who are hopeless away from home and Huddersfield turning over Watford who have nothing to play for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mark Hughes is rightly not happy with his team. If he throws then under the bus at the post match press conference he will be justified.

He kept at them to not sit so deep but they didn't follow his instructions.

Liverpool
    I actually like Southampton, the board has done numerous managers no favours at all there, how they were competitive as long as they were is miraculous. I hope they stay up. Don't mind Hughes either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    He has made the right calls for most of the bookings. He missed the red card in the first half though which was poor.

Looked like a backpass as well for that one that, was it Pedro jumped in ahead and knocked it to Courtois. Thought at 2-0 with an indirect free in the box, could easily have been three.

Liverpool
    Long has had lumps kicked out of him today.

Mike Dean cost them the game there, still poor to throw that lead away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Fair play to Giroud. Give him the right ball and he'll score goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Man City
    Looking on the BBC website, there were loads of people saying “they’re not playing for the manager, you can see it”, “there’s no passion”, “they don’t care” or some such bollox.

Analysis like that really makes me roll my eyes. Just coz someone isn’t charging around or riling up the crowd doesn’t mean they don’t care. It’s very, very rare that teams lose because the players “lack passion”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Man Utd
    Mike Dein demonstrating perfectly why there will be no English refs at the World Cup. Atrocious and laughable call for the relocation of the free on the first goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Former referee Dermot Gallagher making zero sense as usual on sky. Ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Dean is the worst and most arrogant of referees. How he's still refereeing is baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Liverpool
    Some game unfolding on Sky Sports Premier atm. Palace leading Brighton 3-2 and only 34 minutes gone.

• Advertisement

Good comeback from Chelsea in fairness.

Conte to Mourinho: Hold my Peroni.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Sean Dyche must be in the reckoning for manager of the year?

Liverpool
    Some game unfolding on Sky Sports Premier atm. Palace leading Brighton 3-2 and only 34 minutes gone.

Another ref who should have sent at least one off. Very enjoyable game though, defence is an afterthought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    pjohnson wrote: »
    Sean Dyche must be in the reckoning for manager of the year?

I was thinking the same. To have Burnley that high up the table on thier budget is very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Man City
    TitianGerm wrote: »
    I was thinking the same. To have Burnley that high up the table on thier budget is very impressive.

A couple of Arsenal fans were saying they were wanted him a few months ago which is nuts because he’s not capable of managing at that level but what he’s done this season is magnificent. Great shout for manager of the season.

• Advertisement
Advertisement